ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Active suspension on a road car...This is awesome!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
thats awesome, so flat when nailing it around corners!

how much for a clio?!

MKIII 138
i was waiting for this to come out.. seriously i saw a mag article two years ago in CAR and it seemed like a great concept.. the next thing was brakes with caliper on either side

MKIII 138
imagine when Evo`s get that mixed with active yaw and sticky tyres they will corner at stupid fast speeds and be able to jump speed bumps when correctly modded ;)

That's pretty impressive stuff really, but a bit of roll and pitch is essential in feeling the car move around underneath you? Of course, it can be tuned. Personally I prefer the idea of a proper sorted spring/damper combo, but maybe I'm just getting old :D

Scenic mk1 (F3R)
notice how in one bit the guy is wagging his head round in the car to make the suspention look worse on the standard car what a tit lol

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
The interesting things is not that they've done it. they're not the first. Its that they claim that it only uses a third as much power as an air conditioner. That's what's stopped the adoption of hydraulic active suspensions. That the amount of power it took to run them sapped the performance of the engine and pushed up the fuel consumption. And that the benefit was small compared to a well-tuned conventional suspension that was far cheaper the build.

The obvious other place to use that sort of technology is in valve actuation in the engine. Imagine no camshaft. Instead the ECU telling solenoids to actuate the valves for the ideal duration to get maximum power at those revs and with only enough lift to get the amount of power you need without the need for a throttle body. The problem there too has been the power it required to do it. But using the same technology that Bose suspension used - regeneration - recovering most of the power used to push the valve down as it came back up - it could be practicable. Lotus was supposed to be releasing an engine that did that last year. But if it happened I missed it.