ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A year into a 4s and i'm being offered a S3 for £20 a month less..

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Basically Orange have offered me a upgrade a year early to a S3 for free however i will get a £20.00 reduction a month if i trade in my 4s. No doubt this will all change when the iphone 5 comes out and the values drop considerably. I'm not mad for techonolgy and do like the size of the screen on the S3. Worth a trade do you think or stick with what i know and see what difference IOS6 makes?

Also, what could i get for a private sale of a 4s 32gb? Its minty fresh and in white. £350 fair if i sold privately as that would mean im in pocket?

Just be aware that (AFAIK...) Orange add the time you have upgraded early (in this case a year) onto the new contract, so you will have a 24(?) + 12 month contract.

The missus got stung for an extra 3 months on a contract when she upgraded 3 months early from her previous phone.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the heads up but not the case with me. It's £300 to end my contract early but that's the value of my iphone on trade in. So wiped out and they'll give me a S3 and lower contract. I may just do it tbh..

ITB BG 182
I personally would not bother, if your 12 months from finishing and they will let you have a new S3 for trade in of your iphone. Then technically your not gaining anything and they are.

I personally would run to the end of my contract, sell the iphone then, get a new contract and you'll get the S3 for free on a better deal and have the money from the sale of your iphone as extra.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
True. But then i will make a saving on the contract of £200+ over the next year. Hmm, decisions. I see your point.

ITB BG 182
Ok, so if you do the trade, how much will you be paying per month on the new S3 an for how many months? And is there any cost on the hand set?

Plus how much was you paying p/m?

There's got to be something in this for Orange somewhere.

A second hand 4S is worth less than a brand new S3. AND they're going to reduce your monthly charge by £20? Not going to happen.

It must just be them getting you on another two year contract and because the non-iPhones are so heavily reduced on a contract then they can offer you a better deal per month.

If you want an S3, then sell the iPhone for £350ish. Buy an S3 sim-free (£300ish) and pocket the £50. Unless you want to agree to another two years and potentially the year you have left to run. 3 years is a long time with the same phone.

ITB BG 182
^^ Do what he says, sell the iPhone and buy an S3 brand new then run it on the current contract to save the most money.

To get rid of the current contract and start a new one means your losing out on the sale value of the iphone which could be £350+

Plus looking into their new contracts on the S3, for £20 per month is a 24 month contract and you only get 300 mins per month with a charge of £259 for the S3 handset.........

So to lose out on the iphone sale £350 and have to pay for the new handset £259 means Orange get £609 out of ya....

Even if they dont charge you for the new handset, £20 at 24 months is £480 instead of the £259 which is £830...

If your current contract is £40 per month for 12 months thats £480, then sell the iphone for £350 means all you pay for the next 12 months at the end is £130.

Then you'll be able to get the S3 or maybe the S4 for free on a new contract...

I really am bored at work.....

Last edited:
  Clio 172 cup
18975775-0F05-42AD-A5F5-5AFD5D473163-1846-000002C7D7352341.jpg

'Goooooood evening madaaaame'
'im calling from Orange'
'we are dooooing a veeerrrry special deal for all 4s customers were we do you a straight swap for your 4s for a braaaaaand new galaxy s3 we will also reduce your monthly bill by £20'
'to take advantage of this veeerrrry special offer simply post you iphone 4s in well wrapped parcel along with all your personal details including your debit and credit card details and your barrrnk account number so we can alter your monthly bill and we will do the rest'

'please post to

Orangegonebananas
Mr Joe King
gullable rd
Nigeria

For further details of this verrrrry special deal please click the link bellow

www.orange/yourgunnaendupwithashitephone.com

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Well im paying £53 with insurance at the moment and a year down on a 24 month contract. To end my contract early is £300 and the orange recycle value of a 4s is £307 currently. So thats my contract ended but me with no phone.

What they have said is they'll give me a free S3, 12 month contract for £26 a month plus insurance of £6. Unlimited minutes, texts and 2gb of data.

Now surely thats not a bad financial move as i'll still end of with a £300 phone but a lower contract for the next 12 months?

ITB BG 182
Well im paying £53 with insurance at the moment and a year down on a 24 month contract. To end my contract early is £300 and the orange recycle value of a 4s is £307 currently. So thats my contract ended but me with no phone.

What they have said is they'll give me a free S3, 12 month contract for £26 a month plus insurance of £6. Unlimited minutes, texts and 2gb of data.

Now surely thats not a bad financial move as i'll still end of with a £300 phone but a lower contract for the next 12 months?
Ok so the next 12 months at £32 is £384 if you dont go over on anything, I would double check on the unlimited minutes though...

But paying £53 for the next 12 months is £636, yet sell the phone at the end of it for £350 means £286 for the next 12 months.

So you still lose out on a meer £98.

F**k it, go for it if you really do not like the iphone and really really want an S3...

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Ok so the next 12 months at £32 is £384 if you dont go over on anything, I would double check on the unlimited minutes though...

But paying £53 for the next 12 months is £636, yet sell the phone at the end of it for £350 means £286 for the next 12 months.

So you still lose out on a meer £98.

F**k it, go for it if you really do not like the iphone and really really want an S3...

Yes but at the end of paying the 12 month contract at a lower rate i still have a galaxy S3? Which will be worth the same as the iphone? So i'd be better off?

You're paying £53!?

You can get an S3 for free and pay £26/m for a decent contract by the way.

That'll be the reason they're offering this for you, because they're still making money from you due to the high contract!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
You're paying £53!?

That'll be the reason they're offering this for you, because they're still making money from you due to the high contract!

Yeah £26 is what they have offered plus £6 insurance. Free phone etc. I got a 4s when they first came out and got it on a poor contract. £53 is including the £12 odd insurance they charge though,

ITB BG 182
32Gb 4s is a penny shy of £600, Samsung S3 is £510 from CPWH... Also looking at 2nd hand but BNIB on an S3 is £270 where as 4s's are £410 on the fleabay.

Still, i know what your getting at, £26 per month is more tempting than £53 (oh ffs).

Sorry but I am quite frankly shocked that people pay that much on the 4S, I pay £30 p/m for 12 months then paid £150 for the phone, £510 for the year total and its capped!

Clio 172 cup
You're paying £53!?

Not on orange you cant