ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A Few Questions About 172’s..

Hello.

Im looking at getting a 172 and just have a few questions before i start shopping around. Any information much appreciated.

My budget is aound £6k. Looking at a mint X/Y reg with lowish mileage. Is this reasonable? What are they like for motorway driving? Is high mileage an issue if its been looked after? What are the known mechanical problems with 172s? What are they like for tuning potential without spending silly money? Anything else i should be aware of before buying?

And finally the biggie.. insurance. Ill be 21 with 2 years NCD, no points/accidents, good postcode. What sort of price am i looking at?

Thanks for any help.

6.5k will get you my one.

X reg with 35k.

70mph at 3.5k rpm can be a bit noisy with a cat back...

Decat, R-sport ecu and closed induction kit is a good start. Throttle bodies can take you over 200bhp for about £800 for the kit IIRC.

When I was 21 with 1 years NCD, no points last year, cost about 1200 with Greenlight.

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

Hi matt
Ive had my car since June 04-its a 52plate which i picked up 2nd hand from a dealer at 12.5k on finance. The car generally is amazing-love it! Ive put a pipercross induction kit on it&woo did it make a difference-sounds like a completely different car(really loud*throaty)

Also a few things to look out for are that since ive had it, its been back to the garage twice-as i trash the pant off it,when at top of the revs id experience juddering. After renault test drove it, discovered it to be loose engine/gearbox mounts which was all done under warranty.
This is a common problem according to a few,but i suppose if you tak eit easy all the time then it probably wont happen.

On insurance its £1236 which compared to my last clio(1.2 16 which was £1111)-i thought was an excellent price
Im 22, which 3years no claims. Try calling Greenlight in Brentwood (01277 263030). Not only did these guys beat renault insurance themselves but they also cover track days!

Lastly let me add that although going from a 1.2 16v-172 is a big step&it felt like id strapped myself into a rocket, ive loved it, what more can i say but these are really nice cars in my opinion
Happy driving
Jmaes

320d

Insurance wont be too bad just a matter of shopping around

On motorways 60mph is 2500rpm giving you 50mpg as said above 70mph is 3500rpm

A chip, decat and stainless steel system, ITG panel filter or viper will give you reasonable power gains for little money

Im selling mine 51 plate, black, 28000 miles, FSH, standard car £7300 - a bit over your budget but its a Mk2

Do the 172s cope with mileage well? Im looking also at a budget of around 6k, though have seen a x-reg with 45k for £4995 which seems good to me.

I was just concerned that when I come to sell it, itd probably be on about 65k (2 years time) and would it still be running sweet?

Are the pretty reliable?

Thanks for the info.

Ill give Greenlight a ring later on see what they say.

Budget for the car will be £6k absolute max, with the fact that insurance isnt going to be cheap.

Anything else i should know?

Cheers.

Mk1 172 Exclusive No.17

Quote: Originally posted by clio16v1996 on 10 March 2005

On motorways 60mph is 2500rpm giving you 50mpg as said above 70mph is 3500rpm
2500rpm = 55 mph in a mk1 172 in 5th gear

3500rpm = 77 mph in a mk1 172 in 5th gear

Ph1

i cant fault my mk1 in anyway other than it isnt the easiest car to tune up cheaply !!

Im keeping mine forever !!! hehe

Quote: Originally posted by xzibit on 10 March 2005

Do the 172s cope with mileage well? Im looking also at a budget of around 6k, though have seen a x-reg with 45k for £4995 which seems good to me.

I was just concerned that when I come to sell it, itd probably be on about 65k (2 years time) and would it still be running sweet?

Are the pretty reliable?

lol, er no not really (cope with mileage), (in my experience ), because if a new 182 with 4k miles can start developing faults then an older 172 wont fair any better, this is all my own opinion based on my personal experience

Have MK1 172 34000 miles just gone. Had no major problems at all.

Only problem was snapped tensioner for Aux belt making horrible squeeking noise. Part was approx 70 quid and bit awkward to fit but thats it.

Apart from that as stated previously can be a bit noisy on motorway with CAT back but to be expected. I think pretty impressive gains from filter,chip and full exhaust system considering already pretty tuned engine out of box.

Just look round to ensure you get a good example

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

iv got a 53 plater mk2 and i dont think the build is that great, but a few probs here and there such as:-

ratlly dash parts (common if you read the forum)

poorish brakes (upgrade to better yins)

35mpg if you dont whore it, 25 if you batter it often

£200-£300 for a service easy

300miles a tank at £36

needs a 6th gear

annoying esp system can hamper off the line pace

bar that get one you wont regret it, but weigh up running costs before you do, gp 16 insurance is steep for most and is costly as iv shown above. However with some sensible driving and restrain you can get an excellent car for the dosh. Personally if you want a collectors item id get a 172 exclusive for your budget usually on y plates and finished with cream leather, bbs 16s, single slot cd. only avails in dark green tho, but was limited to 172 models so fairly rare

ive got a mk2 02 plate with 48000miles, paid £8k last august and ive had no faults at all with it (touch wood).

i do 400 miles a week, which is mostly motorway and it copes very well but can be a little bumpy with the stiff suspension. Averaging about 42mpg at 70mph, about 45mpg at 60mph.

only fault is with renault service department who forget to put things back on after they have worked on it

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

Bought an X reg with 33k on the clock a few weeks ago for 5.7k, already done over 1k in it :)

Quote: Originally posted by R20 CWH on 10 March 2005

iv got a 53 plater mk2 and i dont think the build is that great, but a few probs here and there such as:-

ratlly dash parts (common if you read the forum)

poorish brakes (upgrade to better yins)

35mpg if you dont whore it, 25 if you batter it often

£200-£300 for a service easy

300miles a tank at £36

needs a 6th gear

annoying esp system can hamper off the line pace

bar that get one you wont regret it, but weigh up running costs before you do, gp 16 insurance is steep for most and is costly as iv shown above. However with some sensible driving and restrain you can get an excellent car for the dosh. Personally if you want a collectors item id get a 172 exclusive for your budget usually on y plates and finished with cream leather, bbs 16s, single slot cd. only avails in dark green tho, but was limited to 172 models so fairly rare

Im currently driving a Punto GT Turbo. I get 250 miles to a £37 tank, so Id save money there, I have more rattles than I do miles on the clock. Brakes? Wow, itd be nice to have some for a change!! :D

The insurance isnt that bad, got a quote for £700, which is £20 less than my renewal for my current car so Im happy.

All said, its gotta be more reliable than the GT, and hopefully quicker.

None

172s are first class. Im looking to get one about June/July/August. Been in one but not driven one. Hopefully will have about 5k to get one, just praying the prices fall a bit..

Mini Cooper S sport

Got mine - an 03 plate - last June for 9k (parallel import). I agree it needs a 6th gear, but its very quick and I love it!

Main problem so far was an oil leak which was fixed under warranty, and wheels needed balancing.

The dash squeaks a bit but really its absolutely fine!

Let us know what you get :)

Hello, back again.

Thanks for all the information so far.

One point though, someone mentioned a 172 Exclusive. Ive never heard of these, what are they and would it be worth getting one over the standard 172?

And if anybody who is roughly my age could tell me who they are insured with and what they pay it would be great.

Cheers.

Quote: Originally posted by matt85 on 11 March 2005

Hello, back again.

Thanks for all the information so far.

One point though, someone mentioned a 172 Exclusive. Ive never heard of these, what are they and would it be worth getting one over the standard 172?

And if anybody who is roughly my age could tell me who they are insured with and what they pay it would be great.

Cheers.

Hi, im 21 with 3 years no claims and I got quoted £700 hope this helps.

Quote: Originally posted by matt85 on 11 March 2005

The exclusive was a special model for the last of the Mk1 172s it had green paint different wheels and different seat leather I think. There worth as much extra as people will pay which isnt a goo enswer but some people pay £1k extra for one personally Id say there worth £300 extra but there green so if your supersticious (like me) keep away.