ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

!82 Black Gold Paintwork Problems

Hi All, Ive had some problems with my paintork on my 182 with cup packs, and was wondering if anyone else has had any similar problems.

I picked my Black Gold 182 up from the dealer on 30/09/04 brand new.

The weather was overcast and the car looked fine at the time, although I didnt inspect it too closely.

The same day, when I got home, I started noiticing a few white marks on the bonnet, roof, rear spoiler and top edges of the wings. These marks ranged in size from 2mm-1cm accross, and are only visible from certain angles.

I called the dealer and they told me to bring the car in.

The next day the car was in and manager & sales guys came out to see it.

They asked me to bring the car back in in a couple of days to take it into the paint shop on Monday just gone.

On the sunday I had the car parked outside the house, under a tree. The car was parked with a 52 plate Vauxhall Astra, a 53 plate Vauxhall Astra Coupe and a 52 plate Pug 206. Within a few hours the birds had done their thing and I was forced to go and wash the cars. The crap came off no problem on all three other cars except mine, wich left about 8 or 9 really noticeable marks on the bonnet and roof of the car. The marks are totally flat with the paintwork and seem to have damaged the lacquer quite badly.

Not pleased I took the car into the dealership and the sales guy I bought the car off looked at the paint and sai it shouldnt have gone like that.

We took the car to their bodyshop about a mile away. The bodyshop manager came out and immediately said "The white marks are fallout and its nothing to do with us, and the other marks are bird crap and thats your fault."

After a few minutes calming down time, seeing I was getting nowhere, I drove back to the dealership with the sales guy.

I dont know about the rest of you but I dont carry a bucket and sponge around with me in case a bird sh**s on my car!!

Surely the paint should be able to withstand bird crap on it for more than a few hours?? Especially as the astra coupe was parked under the same tree and that hadnt been washed for three weeks!

Anyone else had this problem?

Cheers, If you got through the epic above well done!!

Andy

unfortunately birds crap is very alkali and will damage paintwork on most cars if left, basically its best to remove it as soon as you notice it or risk permanant damage im afraid.

dk

911 GTS Cab

thats a bit sh1t that mate (sorry, no pun intended)

Its a nightmare when garages wont even entertain you, im sure some black gold owners will help you out with advice.

Surely though if other cars were there at the same time, and they havent been affected in the same way theres a problem?

It was only left for 5-6 hours under the tree, and cleaned straight after.

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

yep i had that prob on my pearl black paint, where the crap was it has left a kind of melted spot, got 3-4 of them now on roof.

also had them on the bonnet but had them machine polished out.

Clio 182

There was an issue on Watchdog a couple of years back about Clios being especially bad when it comes to paintwork being damaged by bird crap but Ive not had a problem with any of my 3.

This happened to my flame red 172.

The guy at the bodyshop said it had to be machine polished as there was no other way to get rid of the mark i.e. t-cut was no good.

The bird sh1t had only been on there for a matter of minutes.

I eventually took it up with renault customer services who were about as useful as a chocolate fire-guard. They said that other manufacturers were having the same problems, namely audi,BMW etc.

Unfortunately youll just have to live with it as its the water based lacquer thats the problem.

Stu.

Nothing like that has happened to ours. Although most of the time it is dirty, particularly with the autumn winter months starting it always seems to be dirty.

Hi ANDY182

Im having issues with my black/gold clio 182 paint finish.

Ive had white/grey specs on the rear door and bumper mixed in with my paint finish, Reg vardy had my car for just under 2 weeks and tried polishing it out.They removed it but now I have lightly scratched areas now and its going back on Saturday for the manager to see as Ive demanded this to be sorted.

As for bird crap, it shouldnt affect it that quickly, was you car waxed/pure guarded because mine is

well, we have had our black gold V6 since beginning of Feb - 1st black gold Renault produced I believe, certainly the first Vee off the line, and it obviously has had bird sh*t on it, but not damaged it like that - as Tom said, just the effing stone chips!!! :mad:

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3

same happened to me i got the mark off with auto glym paint restorer i think its called, (it has a purple label)

Similar problem but not as widespread - clay bar didnt shift it.

Car is now waxed so hope Ill have no more problems. The marks in my case must have been done before I took delivery as I noticed them within 2 weeks and there was no bird poo on the car up to that point - at least not where the problem areas are.

The paint quality must be crap IMO (no pun intended)

GTATTY182 - Thanks for message -

My dealer was also Reg Vardy, they took the car in and polished everything out. I went to collect it today and the car is now full of swirl marks and the paint looks like it should be on a car thats 12-24 months old (no disrespect to owners of 12-24 month old cars!!!).

Ive told them they can keep it.

They have arranged for an independent inspector to come out and assess the paint on Tuesday.

Thanks for all ur replies!

Andy

Skoda Fabia vRS

good for you mate, stand your ground !

a new car should not have any swirl marks at all, simple

Quote: Originally posted by stusV6 on 13 October 2004

What is "fallout"
Fallout is normaly metalic particles which stick to unprotected paint whilst in transit, normaly the cars are eather parked in compounds near train lines as a result when a train passes by hundreds of minute specs of brake and wheel particles are lifted into the air and land on the cars and stick like poo to a blanket, this also happens when the cars are transported on trains, fallout can also be caused by acidic particles in the air and rain from nearby factorys. I dont know if anyone has been to Dieppe in france but it has lots of industry there with lots of factorys and loads of train lines hence the 182 is likely to have fallout, however most new cars that arrive in the u.k have fallout on them, Fords, V.W, Ect Ect this tho should be removed at the dealership when valeted.

As to the car in question, the new paint is so soft and will mark easy for a good year or so, however, bird lime marks and fallout can be removed from the paintwork, so go back to the dealer and get them to sort it

Ford Fiesta

my last pearl black clio had poo damage very quickly, but the arctic blue has stood up to much worse so far.

Quote: Originally posted by andy182 on 14 October 2004

GTATTY182 - Thanks for message -

My dealer was also Reg Vardy, they took the car in and polished everything out. I went to collect it today and the car is now full of swirl marks and the paint looks like it should be on a car thats 12-24 months old (no disrespect to owners of 12-24 month old cars!!!).

Ive told them they can keep it.

They have arranged for an independent inspector to come out and assess the paint on Tuesday.

Thanks for all ur replies!

Andy

Hi ANDY 182

Mine is going in to be checked over by main boss of Reg Vardy Sheffield Tomorrow, He assures me It will be sorted properly after he has seen it tomorrow, Ive also demanded a new fron because the muppet who fitted the splitter put it on sh*te and its not straight! They said If they adjust it, the screw holes will be too close! so Im avin a new front, should have fitted it correct first time shouldnt they?!!

Hope you get yours sorted

Cheers

Graham

CLIO

should of bought an iceburg...;)..not takin the p#ss or anything,just take it back and leave them with the keys and say have it back till uve sorted it and how about a courtesy car please whilst u sort it out

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member

right this might sound but ive had the same problem. The poo has left "matt" paches of paint work on the roof. I tried new car t-cut...still there!

A few days late they had gone!!!!! Cant explain why?

Any of the guys on here will vouch my paint is fine!

Ford Fiesta

Iain that happnened wi a massive mark on the bonnet of my 182, thought it was wrecked came back 3 hour later after it had been baking in the sun and it was fine! thought that would have made it worse.

Elise/VX220/R26

I spotted some paint runs on my 172 when it was two weeks old, went to renno and was told there was nothing they could do because I hadnt spotted them in time and they could be dodgy repairs for all they know. Just one of the many reasons Ill never buy another renault.

Hello Andy

I have a y reg 172 iceberg silver and within a few months of having if (i have had it for 3 years now)i had some bird crap on the bonnet which left a stain on which to me was really noticeable.

A lad i know who works in a bodyshop gave me a tub of a liquid called Finesse-it from a company called 3M,it is finishing material,and it generally works.

I have used this a few times and is pretty good,better than say Auto Glym.

I dont think you would have any problem getting bird stain crap out at all if you keep rubbing,but you do have to be carefull with it though.

The part number is 09639.

All the best

Ian

PS the paint on my 172 is crap and very thin.