ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2001> 172 owners please help!

hi people,
i have a 2002 1.4 16v clio sport with the standard 15s on it, i want to get bigger wheels. Ideally 17s coz they look the donkeys chopper but if not 16s would do the job! I was wondering if anyone noticed a difference in acceleration/lack of speed etc by just going from 16 to 17? any help on this would be appreciated! also-anyone lowered a new clio running 17s more than 35mm,if so, how far down did you go and using what make equipment etc.
many thanks
neil

it known 17s give slower acceleration than 15s mate. but obviously look nicer, its your preference at the end of the day.

allo, i have the same car as you and have gone from 15s to 16s...the drop in accelerative capabilities has been slightly and not all that much compromised...but a buddy of mine is running on 17s and i can safely say that it has been well and truly blunted as compared to the 15s or even the 16s...

if you are after looks, 17s are the way...if you still want some acceleration, stick with 16s max...

your choice though...

cheers!

kona
www.renaultcarclub.com

Lionel Richie

I got 17s (see other clios gallery) on a 40mm drop, no scrubbing. A friend of mine has got 17s on a 60mm drop, again no scrubbing. The acceleration thing is unoticeable unless your that bothered about 0.1sec off your 0-60time (like all of the 172 boys seem to be!!!) Theyve all got fast cars and theyre moaning about losing a tiny tiny tiny bit of acceleration (some people eh!!!!!!!)

The rolling radius of 16s on 45 profile is 2.4% greater than 17s on 40 profile. Therefore your performance will be reduced by this percentage. Depending on your current 0-60, and what other mods you have, this could mean about 0.25 sec assuming yours is about the 10 mark?