ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197s Gone :(

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Well, my 197 is going back to the finance company after I finally gave up trying to keep hold of it. I'm sure the CS Millionaires might not understand but basically I've been getting literally scraps of work (literally a few weeks here and there) since June last year. I have fought to keep the 197 as I loved driving it, I've never had a car that would grip so well out of the box and that could be so much fun on b-roads without modifying it and I would have another again in a minute without a second thought but this was definately the right call for me :( Anyone thinking of buying a 197 I say do it, best car I've owned so far just make sure your jobs secure 1st :eek:
I need to make the 200SX run properly again, and then try and make it as fun as the 197 so wish me luck haha...

Clio 197 08
Gutted you had to give it back!! Same as above really, didnt think it was as easy as giving it back?? Whats the procedure??

clio 1.6 rsi
did you not take out finace cover so if that was to happen they wud pay it till ure employed again? i have on mine its called GAP cover so if i get made redundant or anything il be covered

172 5HED
did you not take out finace cover so if that was to happen they wud pay it till ure employed again? i have on mine its called GAP cover so if i get made redundant or anything il be covered

Thought GAP just covers the finance vs the actual market value of the car at the time so you dont end up out of pocket???

clio 1.6 rsi
oh i kno what i mean lol. i got that and suamt else lol, but im covered on mine incase i get made redundant to

Clio 197

Yeah, and good luck if you ever need to claim on that Payment protection. From my own experience it's not worth the paper it's printed on, in around 90% of cases they will find some way not to pay out even if it's not in their terms & conditions! Which is exactly what they did with me, because I was at university at the time I lost my job (due to a car accident which wasn't my fault I'll add) they said my policy was invalid because I was in part time education - their T&C didn't say this anywhere and the financial ombudsman was no help in the matter.

Complete and utter f**king con, you'd be better off putting the ~£30 a month it costs into a savings account that way you will have money in the worst case.

Gap insurance or IPP on the other hand is an absolute bargain, cost me ~£150 for 3 years and guarantees a brand new car in the event of a writeoff.

Last edited:
  Mustang, S13, AX GT
:( Sad times mate.

Just got the S13 now then? Ghetto!
Yup, new tubbys going on then its gonna be my daily driver lol, should be interesting.

The finance doesn't let you give it back without a penalty, they default the payments for 2 months and then take it back. If they take the car back then I only owe arrears which I can just about afford however a default is registered on my credit file for the next 6 years. Ideally I would have sold it and covered the difference between selling the car and the remaining finance but used car prices are way too low for me to do it.

Yeah, and good luck if you ever need to claim on that Payment protection. From my own experience it's not worth the paper it's printed on, in around 90% of cases they will find some way not to pay out even if it's not in their terms & conditions! Which is exactly what they did with me, because I was at university at the time I lost my job (due to a car accident which wasn't my fault I'll add) they said my policy was invalid because I was in part time education - their T&C didn't say this anywhere and the financial ombudsman was no help in the matter.

Complete and utter f**king con, you'd be better off putting the ~£30 a month it costs into a savings account that way you will have money in the worst case.

Gap insurance or IPP on the other hand is an absolute bargain, cost me ~£150 for 3 years and guarantees a brand new car in the event of a writeoff.
Payment Protection is pretty much a legal scam imo as said above, it has a million and 2 get out clauses and would have only stretched out the time before getting rid of it, at the most it'll cover your payments for a few months and even then they'll do whatever they can to not pay out.

Clio 197
Sorry to hear about it Kneel, I very nearly ended up in the same situation with my 182 and it's not something I would want to go through again. In the end my family loaned me the money to keep the car (even though I couldn't physically drive at the time) so I didn't end up with a default on my file. At least it didn't end in a CCJ.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Cheers. Very true, worse things have happened and I'm looking at the brightside. Its £300 a month I'm saving so I can afford to move now :D

Monaco RS Clio 172
damn shame

I was out of work for 3 months and I am paying dearly for it now in charges for credit cards and various other financial stuff that ended up being not paid.

thankfully I have started a new full time job. being self employed FOR THE LOSE.

great to be your own boss, so dangerous though financially.

chin up mate you will have one again or better - don't let this bring you down.

Youve done the sensible thing mate.

You'll have another one day. Save that £300 a month and it wont be long til you can buy one outright! lol..

Mustang, S13, AX GT
^Pretty much my thoughts exactly lol. A 2006 model will be cheap as chips when the Clio 200 comes out...

Renaultsport 200
Sh1t times, very sh1t times. Sorry to hear of your plight. I moan about work as we all do but I'm ruddy glad I have it that's for sure.

I'm sure something will come up. Chin up mate.

Tangoed Works
gutted you have a default there mate, it could be worse though. after 12 months most lenders are not too bothered if your ever need to get a mortgage in the future.

chin up though, im sure you will get another one in the future.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Any last pictures kneel?

Loved your 197 :(
Sadly not, for the last few weeks in my ownership it was parked on a neighbours drive without tax or insurance :(

gutted you have a default there mate, it could be worse though. after 12 months most lenders are not too bothered if your ever need to get a mortgage in the future.

chin up though, im sure you will get another one in the future.
aye well, I'm not too fussed about finance until it comes to gettin a mortgage now anyway I think. If all goes to plan, it wont be for a few years just yet and a default isn't the worst thing to go on credit file. Just have to be carefull in future I think

BG182®
Sorry to hear that mate. I think with your situation you have made a wise choice. I'm sure in time you'll be back in one in a whisk ;)