ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1961 Jaguar mk2 3.4

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Hi all.

From one extreme to the other! Harpham's brand firing Clio 200 Cup to this 50 year old cat. Enjoy...

Jaguar mk2 3.4 – 1961

A little bit of history on the mk2 Jag courtesy of Wikipedia.

“The Jaguar Mark 2 is a medium sized saloon car built from 1959 to 1967 by the Jaguar company in Coventry, England, as successors to the Jaguar 2.4 and 3.4 models, manufactured between 1957 and 1959. These retrospectively became known as the Jaguar Mark 1 following the release of the Mark 2 in 1959.”

The vehicle was booked in over two days for a mild paint enhancement and protection detail. As with most classics, the car had seen a fair bit of restoration work with filler, deep bodyshop sanding-scores and flat spots scattered all over the place. My job? To enhance the overall appearance and lay down some good protection.

Product

• 3M Glass Cleaner
  • 3M Ultrafine
  • 3M Ultrafina
  • AutoSmart G101
  • AutoSmart Tardis
  • Belgom ALU
  • Jeffs Werkstat Prime
  • Jeffs Werkstat Jett Trigger
  • Meguairs Super Degreaser
  • ONR (optimum no rinse)

Vehicle inspection:

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

Wire wheels; these will prove to be good fun later on!

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

A few areas to be careful of:

DSC_0185.jpg

DSC_0186.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

Residues from previous polishing:

DSC_0188.jpg

OK. First things first, let's get it washed. It isn't however the sort of vehicle you'd want to use a pressure washer/tons lots of water on... I could see the windows, seams, panel-gaps etc weren't all water tight so I had to think on...

Meanwhile, I turned my attention to the wheels. *”hmm!”* AutoSmart G101 used to clean with various brushes, mitts and tools.

I spot-cleaned a few greasy areas with AutoSmart G101 & Meguiars Super Degreaser. Areas such as the petrol filler housing, underneath the chrome bumpers, around the britework and panel gaps...

As the weather had turned and rain started to fall, I brought the Jag inside and performed an ONR wash (safe waterless wash system) to remove the light dusting/road-grime.

Vehicle was then clayed to remove surface contaminants but very little was seen.

Blown dry with the black baron vehicle dryer, it's time to check the paint condition:

DSC_0198.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

DSC_0202.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg
DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0207.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

DSC_0210.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

As you can see, swirls, bodyshop buffertrails and oxidation stole the vehicles true shine!

With history and paint thickness’s in mind, I trod carefully.

Bonnet thickness readings,

DSC_0214.jpg

DSC_0215.jpg
DSC_0216.jpg

There was no real pattern that I could see when it came to the respray and restoration work. Taking each panel as a new challenge, I had to adapt and change polish/pad combinations and also technique to find our desired results.

Before/After on the O/S front wing:

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

Further back on the O/S front wing, there were some nasty sanding marks spotted.

DSC_0230.jpg

These unfortunately wouldn't budge on my first pass; requiring a slightly more aggressive approach and further refinement to make a difference.

DSC_0231.jpg

However, get up close, and we're left with terrible orange peel and deep scratches from the bodyshop stages.

DSC_0233.jpg

O/S drivers door correcting nicely with a single pass:

DSC_0234.jpg

DSC_0235.jpg

Before:

DSC_0236.jpg

Process:

DSC_0237.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

After:

DSC_0241.jpg

Whilst I was working with the smaller spot-pad, a few of the tighter/difficult areas I'd previously skipped were revisited for a similar approach.

DSC_0244.jpg

O/S rear wing before/after:

DSC_0251.jpg

DSC_0252.jpg

DSC_0254.jpg

DSC_0255.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg

Boot-lid 50/50s:

DSC_0263.jpg

DSC_0265.jpg
DSC_0268.jpg

N/S rear wing:

DSC_0271.jpg

DSC_0274.jpg

Front wing:

DSC_0275.jpg

DSC_0276.jpg

Wing-door 50/50:

DSC_0279.jpg

DSC_0283.jpg

High on the wing/bonnet:

DSC_0284.jpg

DSC_0287.jpg

and back down the N/S:

DSC_0290.jpg

DSC_0292.jpg

I don't think 100% correction would ever be possible here (I certainly wouldn't like to take it on anyway due to the pick'a'mix paint quality), happy with my progress though, I turned my attention to some hand polishing with Jeffs Prime.

DSC_0293.jpg

All previously machined panels were cleansed by hand with Jeffs, but mainly, the tough awkward-to-reach areas and curves that the rotary polisher couldn't get to were dealt with here.

Shortly after, and still using Jeffs Prime, focus was then turned to the britework/chrome.

Grille before/after:

DSC_0294.jpg

DSC_0295.jpg

DSC_0312.jpg

DSC_0314.jpg

DSC_0315.jpg

DSC_0317.jpg

In-between finishing the britework and cleaning the glass, the first coat of Jeffs Werkstat Jett Trigger was applied to all exterior painted surfaces to protect.

Saving the best until last? The wheels...

DSC_0305.jpg

Still using Jeffs Prime but armed with cotton buds, the Megs triple action duty brush, several microfibre pads and clothes but also achy fingers!

A bit of a before/after:

DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg

Some areas, my fat fingers just couldn't reach:

DSC_0310.jpg

DSC_0307.jpg
DSC_0311.jpg

Finished:

DSC_0342.jpg

~half an hour was spent on each wheel, rolling the car backwards and forwards, backwards and forwards, backwa...... *ugh*. They weren't perfect, but certainly much improved.

After cleaning the glass, applying two more coats of Jett Trigger and wiping down the paint, we're finished. Some 14 hour work time.

Enjoy.

DSC_0326.jpg

DSC_0325.jpg
DSC_0304.jpg

DSC_0329.jpg

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0336.jpg

DSC_0335.jpg
DSC_0323.jpg

DSC_0319.jpg

DSC_0322.jpg

DSC_0337.jpg
DSC_0341.jpg

DSC_0339.jpg

DSC_0347.jpg

DSC_0332.jpg
DSC_0349.jpg

DSC_0348.jpg

DSC_0352.jpg

DSC_0354.jpg

DSC_0344.jpg

Thanks.

Jim.

172 RS Ph1
Superb writeup again Jim, I might have missed it, but what wax did you choose to protect this paint?
What were your readings paint thickness wise afterwards?

Martijn

Saw the photo you put up on FB fella, bet those wheels were cracking fun!

Great results as per :)

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
Thanks guys

Martijn, as it was a mid-tone solid colour, I went with Jeffs Werkstat Jett Trigger which is a sealant as opposed to a wax.. info RE it can be foind on PolishedBliss' website :)

Paint thickness removal was minimal really; on the areas where I had to bumped up to a two-stage machine polish, some 3/4 microns would have been removed. (not exact however. For a true thickness reading, you'd need to set a laser-pen up on a tripod and take readings before & after the machine work in the exact same place to get an accurate result)