ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Observations...

106 GTi

Had some proper time off work over the last few days and took some off the time to get out and enjoy the car and try and get a few more miles on her.

Blatting around one some dry roads was fun but I noticed a couple off things.

1) Normally as the car is a weekend play thing and not used daily, I rarely must have more than a tenner of optimax in there tops. As I planned to use it over the long weekend I ended up with 30 quids worth, it seemd to have a more noticeable effect on the way the car performed than other cars, or was this just down to the fact in all the time I have had the car (apart from doing a couple longish motorway journeys/trips,) during my B road fun it had always been light on fuel? Anyone noticed this?

2) Lots of the B roads around here dont have the greatest sufaces in the world but are great fun. The ride tho (cup packed car) seems okay on them, compared to previous cars 205 and 309 GTis the ride doesnt seem that chrashy. hard of dash rattling. On a couple off instances, again not on the best of sufaces, (fastish B road) under braking the back of the car really didnt feel composed at all, almost as if the dampers couldnt cope leaving the back end feeling as if it was bouncing up and down really quickly as if you where on a boat in rough seas, was very off putting. It was a road I know fairly well and no other car had ever felt that way, and nor had the 182 until now on other occassions on the same bit off road. Dont think I was going any faster, only difference was more fuel in the car, but may have braked later than normal. Any one else noticed any kind of strange loss of composure under braking in a bouncy way? My 205 used to feel light and twitchy at the back end - going side to side, but not feeling as if the car was botteming out or rebounding like the 182?

lol......

fred, i want to take you out in a boggo 182 and make you sea sick with roll hahahaha.......

or my scoob hahahahaha.

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 16 August 2005
lol......fred, i want to take you out in a boggo 182 and make you sea sick with roll hahahaha.......or my scoob hahahahaha.

youre on, tomorrow??? (ill bring my helmet + check life insurance)

I have got a 182 with cup packs and agree with you about the handling.

My previous cars were 205GTi and 306Xsi both very good handling cars. The 306 was particularly good (I think it was the same setup as the 306GTi).

The 182 is obviously quite a bit quicker then the pugs but I do not think it handles as well. Like you say under braking it squirms and cornering although loads of grip, for me it just rolls to much.

Anyway will be getting coilovers in a few weeks which should make it a real B road missile.

Mondeo STTDCI

Agree. It feels like its rolling TOO much but I have faith in it.

Also it does feel skittish at the rear when braking.

BUT it is lovely!

Boz

Arctic 182

MarkM - exactly the same as you - had a 1.9GTI, then 306xsi 8v and then the 182. I agree 100% with what your saying. I find running the tires at ~30 front, 28 rear helps a bit. The 182 sticks like sh*t to a blankek, but the handling is not upto the pugs of old.

Be interesed in how you get on with the coilovers, as youll be aiming for the same pug type handling I still miss.

I think youll find that any small light hatchback with brakes as powerful, and with as much tyre coverage, as the Renaultsport Clios will feel skitish under heavy braking. Do remember when braking all the weight shifts to the front and therefore, and naturally, the back becomes very light. Nothing to worry about.

106 GTi

Like you guys I have had mainly Pug hatches in the past 205 and 309s GTis and a 306 Xsi. The 182 doenst feel any lighter under braking at the back under braking the 205, it was the bouncy/ wallowing up and down/botteming out experince that was off putting.

The 306 will be more stable than the 182 due to the longer wheelbase, I feel much more confident in the Clio than I did my XSi, which had much more body roll. The 182 does seem to have lots of grip, will check the tyre pressures.

VaVa

My 306 Dturbo was a far better handling car in terms of composure, but no where near my Clio in terms of fun.

At first, I hated having to really grab hold of the steering wheel as it bucks a weaves from side to side. It was a bit scary at first, but now its part of the fun....