ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 Import

Mk1 16v

Right i have seen import yellow 182 for £10500

Jus wanted to know what the differences are on the imports? also does it affect resale value? is it worth it and would you buy one or just get a uk car?

cheers.

Mini Cooper S sport

It does affect resale value (as Ive found out) and youll need to pay extra to get an alarm fitted - imports dont have them, but they do have immobilisers. They also dont have the window etchings.

Good price though for a brand new 182!

Quote: Originally posted by riche on 12 May 2005

Right i have seen import yellow 182 for £10500

Jus wanted to know what the differences are on the imports? also does it affect resale value? is it worth it and would you buy one or just get a uk car?

cheers.

is it a new one ?

You also wont get the full 3 yr warranty. Think youll get 1 yr and then another if you apply to Renault UK. Others will be more knowlegable - especially if theyve bought from Motorpoint.

^^^ I contacted Renault regarding getting the additional warranty on my import (Motorpoint) 172, as detailed in Lees letter, but was told my car already had this (confirmed in writing!).

To spec an import up to UK spec youre talking:
Alarm: £300-400
Locking wheel nuts: £25-50
Etching: apparently someone mentioned on here it can be done for £20???

Theres no reason why an import should be worth less than a UK car if spec is the same, but unfortunately this aint the case in practice...

insignia

import price = £11,000 Renault price = £14000. When you come to sell it in 2-3 years time there will be about £500 difference.Import much better value & less money you lose

Quote: Originally posted by Brooktop on 17 May 2005
You also wont get the full 3 yr warranty. Think youll get 1 yr and then another if you apply to Renault UK. Others will be more knowlegable - especially if theyve bought from Motorpoint.

excuse my french but "RUBBISH!" all renos get 3 year warrenties. with the import /internet broker you get 2 years as standard and have to apply or in the case of motor provider they do it for you, for the 3rd year... in my case i saved 3 k off list, so if it is worth 1k less at resale im quids in!!!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

^^ tis true, you WILL get a 3 year warranty, you just send off your invoice and some other stuff to Renault UK.

when its out of its warranty after 3 years, who cares anyway ? I mean its not like they are built in a different factory are they ? I thought they are all imports...

I bought an import because I would rather put my money towards the car rather than greasy suited salesmen who generally no nothing about the sport models anyway.

Ive also had no problems so far when its come to warranty work.

Quote: Originally posted by KDF on 17 May 2005

^^ tis true, you WILL get a 3 year warranty, you just send off your invoice and some other stuff to Renault UK.

Seems like motorpoint did that for me, cos when I checked with Reno, I already had the 3 year warranty.

BMW 120i Sport

as does mine

Get yourself a set of McGuard Ultra locking wheel nuts from Halfords for £35 and youre sorted.

Alarms ... nonsense, if someone wants to trash/steal your car, all the alarms in the world wont stop them. Imo.

Burgandy 174 sport t

dont motorpoint sell them new for 11699??

My mate just bought one for 12200 at a reno dealer!! no friends n family sh*t, just walked in off the street

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 17 May 2005

as does mine

Get yourself a set of McGuard Ultra locking wheel nuts from Halfords for £35 and youre sorted.

Alarms ... nonsense, if someone wants to trash/steal your car, all the alarms in the world wont stop them. Imo.
yes but you may find your insurance is not valid if you dont have one and have it insured as a UK car as it is below spec and could cause problems. Insurance groups are based on security and without an alarm you have less than someone with one.

And the etching is not just etching it is also registration on the security database.

Quote: Originally posted by Big Iain on 17 May 2005
dont motorpoint sell them new for 11699??My mate just bought one for 12200 at a reno dealer!! no friends n family sh*t, just walked in off the street

What spec was it, can you gie any details as to where or when ;)

BMW 120i Sport

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 17 May 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 17 May 2005as does mine

Alarms ... nonsense, if someone wants to trash/steal your car, all the alarms in the world wont stop them. Imo.[/QUOTE]yes but you may find your insurance is not valid if you dont have one and have it insured as a UK car as it is below spec and could cause problems. Insurance groups are based on security and without an alarm you have less than someone with one.And the etching is not just etching it is also registration on the security database.

Of course ive already checked that, as long as its immobilised, its fine with Admiral.

Alarms are a waste of time imo.

Burgandy 174 sport t

Quote: Originally posted by toonboy on 17 May 2005

dont motorpoint sell them new for 11699??

My mate just bought one for 12200 at a reno dealer!! no friends n family sh*t, just walked in off the street

What spec was it, can you gie any details as to where or when ;)
artic blue both cup packs about 3 weks ago at a dealer in glasgow

Clio 182 FF & Cups

hoe long do you have to apply for the 3 year warranty? mines an iport, 19 months old and just about to have its first service. I am too late or should I still try?

I got the window etching kit that Renault use for £25 and it is registered on their data base . http://www.TheISR.orgwww.TheISR.org . Alarm was fitted at Motorpoint and the warranty is 3 years . If Renault are doing them for £12000 then fair enough but 12 months ago they werent and i got 4.1% finance so it was the best deal for me at the time ...

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Quote: Originally posted by Metallic Black on 17 May 2005

The other thing you dont get is the 3 year breakdown cover..
3 years!? Had assumed you only got a year of Renault paid for recovery!

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but is it worth the money getting the kit from ISR to fit to a non-marked import Clio? Im thinking about getting it for mine (currently not got the etching).

Mini Cooper S sport

Quote: Originally posted by Andy D on 17 May 2005

3 years!? Had assumed you only got a year of Renault paid for recovery!
Nope, I looked through the mountain of paperwork I got with mine, and its 3 years!

I even got a little accident emergency kit thingy with a disposable camera and a crayon..hours of fun hehe.

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 17 May 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 17 May 2005as does mine

Alarms ... nonsense, if someone wants to trash/steal your car, all the alarms in the world wont stop them. Imo.[/QUOTE]yes but you may find your insurance is not valid if you dont have one and have it insured as a UK car as it is below spec and could cause problems.  Insurance groups are based on security and without an alarm you have less than someone with one.And the etching is not just etching it is also registration on the security database.

once again excuse my fench but complete troddle!!

when i bought my parrallel import 172 i rang every major insurance company in the uk, explained that there was only the factory fit immobisler and no dealer fitted alarm, every one said that it didntmatter as it had factory standard security.. alarms do not stop people driving you car away but an immobiliser will. the alarm might give you more peace of mind, but thats all.... (how many times have you heard an alarm going off and started running to help out!,, NEVER!)

In answer to my own question above, Im gonna splash out the £25 to have my car registered on the Internation Security Register!

I feel the same way about alarms - pain in the arse and in a lot of instances they dont stop someone nicking your car, but I think its expected by buyers when they buy a 2nd hand hot hatch like the 172/182/willy. And my cars insured as an import anyway so Ive been totally truthful with my insurance - they should know the spec of an import (it was an option when I applied for a quote online).

dont motorpoint sell them new for 11699??My mate just bought one for 12200 at a reno dealer!! no friends n family sh*t, just walked in off the street

motorpoint comes out to about £12,500 when you actually ring and try to buy one - I think the advertised rate is without delivery, cup packs and metallic paint. They also offer some absolutely shocking px values and interest rates on their loans.

The differences in the warranties/AA cover and spec are all dependent on the country of legilsation the vehicle is manuafctured for (bottom right hand corner of the oval plate on the bottom of the OS or NS "B" post). All Renaults leave factory with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty, regardless of where they are going to end up. The extra year/mileage restraint is put on by the importer of the country the vehicle was bought (ie Renault UK are importers, they add an extra year warranty but limit it to 60,000) You wont automatically get this extension if it was not offered in the country the vehicle was sold into (Cyprus etc, believe me there are some knocking about!). All Clios have a factory fitted immobiliser, regardless of where it is made for and the only difference on some imported 172s/182s is that the Catalyst may be different and expensive if it needed replacing as it may not be the same as a UK spec vehicle. Working for a Renault dealer, you would expect me to insist on using us for the purchase, but from my experience Motorpoint are very respectable and the vehicles they supply will come with a three year manufacturer warranty without you having to lift a finger! The country they get them from has the same warranties as the UK. But try a dealer first and see if they will match the deal. Better to get a bonfide UK car if you can get a good enough deal.

[Edited by jaydee001 on 5/18/2005 8:39:39 PM]

BMW 120i Sport

Quote: Originally posted by TheHelpfulBear on 18 May 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Big Iain on 17 May 2005dont motorpoint sell them new for 11699??My mate just bought one for 12200 at a reno dealer!! no friends n family sh*t, just walked in off the street

motorpoint comes out to about £12,500 when you actually ring and try to buy one - I think the advertised rate is without delivery, cup packs and metallic paint. They also offer some absolutely shocking px values and interest rates on their loans.

Aye, motorpoints prices arent "on the road", when i was looking it was £11699 (minus both cup packs) + road fund licence + registration fee + road preperation charge which too it to somewhere just over £12k all in for a non cup version.

Barkers of preston and motorprovider do brand new cupped 182s for £12500.

so did some one say that it doesnt matter that there is no alarm on imports regarding insurance

cos i insured my import with no alarm and was thinking of ringing them up and getting money off if this is the case