ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Standard Wheels

Nice easy question for you all.

What size are the standard wheels on a 172, are they any different from the cup?

I want some new wheels for my 1.2 16v, eventually want 18s but until finance allows figured I would just get a set off a kind person wanting to sell standard 172 or cup alloys if they big enough and I like them,

Many thanks

the wheel size of both the cup and 172 are the same. 16x6.5" waring 195/45/16 contisports.

However they have different offsets. The 172 being ET48.

According to press data, the cup hs a 20mm wider front track and a 10mm wider rear. It has also been said that this was achieved purely with changes to the wheels offset alone. So, that make the cup front wheels ET28 and the rears ET38!!

Surely this cant be right, otherwise the front and rears wouldnt be interchangable, or are they not..maybe thats why there is no spare!!!!;)

Can any cup owners have a look?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Er whoops i havent checked this although it would explain some wierd stuff

when i had a look i could of sworn that all of em were ET38

Astra 1.9cdti XP

It makes more sense the the wider track is created by difference offset wheels.

I dont know what it would involve to make the track wider on the Cup but I would imagine that it would cost a fair bit in development for Renault.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Ok it was a dirty 3 easy mistake to make 28 23 its all the same

C

Cupster

Brought my Cup to work today, ill have a look see if I can spy anything!!!

Would be nice to find out if that were true.... That would mean when people change their cup wheels for 17s they are changing all that effot put into handling by renault sport. I could get some cup wheels for my 1.2 16v and get a spax vsx kit and out handle a 172!!

Anyone selling CUP wheels?

In the Australiasia market we have the gay as 15 inche on our 172..... damn they REALLY do look gay as 15s .. i saw Ben R car in HK they run 16 u have no idea how much that 1 inche make it look much better.

Cup wheels are ET38.5 and 16x7" not 16x6.5" like the 172 but still using the same 195/45/16 Conti tyre

The rear track is due to the offset of the wheels.

The front track is due to offset and revised suspension arms.

well that solves that then....Ta.

we dont get the cup in HK....so ive not seen one.

But!! saying that, we are in talks over a new lightweight clio from Renault, it looks exactly like the cup and IS the cup, but they insist it isnt!! But it does have aircon!!!!

Anyway, longer TCA for the added 10MM will need longer DSfts longer steering arms and if original strut geometry is to be retained, a longer extention of hub to strut arm.

Love to compare akerman settings though....anybody got access to a cup and 172 and turn plates?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Clios without air con in HK might be a bad idea

as for the settings ask renault france..........

LOL....the facotry will not give info like that and i will be surprised if amy people actally know, they arentvery clued up on their own cars. When regional directors come for meetings, you can throw all sorts of ques at thema nd theyll look at you with a blank face.

easiest to do it yourself, the factory knows JACK.

Im sure that the standard mk2 172 wheels are 16x7s, not 16x6.5s

And is the track a measurement between the wheels? in which case it would make the cup wheels ET38 at the front and ET43 at the back to give the 20mm and 10mm respectively. ET28s would require the front arches to be pulled/cut to make them fit wouldnt it? :)

your right on the 7" width.

And you are also very correct on the offsets!

silly me......divide by 2....LOL

My 17s are 35mm offset all round and dont stick out any further than the 16s on 38.5mm offset.

If the wheels had a different offset you would have thought when i put the new wheels on if the rear is now 10mm wider it would of caught big time as it is lowered.