ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 headlight refurb using the Autoglym kit...

Clio 172
Hi all,

As you all probably know, the headlight units on the 1*2's don't take kindly to UV light. So whilst I was in the mood after giving the car a service, I thought I would have a crack at sorting out my headlight units. Mine had gone really yellow at the top to the point the indicator lamp could hardly been seen when it was flashing. I went and got the Automglym kit from Halfords (with the trusty trade card too!) and got on with it.
I think the kit is dead easy to use, you just need to have a bit of patience.
Here are a few pictures (before and after of each side, although the before pics don't make it look as bad as they actually were). Anyone thinking of using the kit or not feeling too confident about taking sand paper to bits of their car, I would give this the thumbs up. Definitely worth a go!
20180827_135806.jpg
20180827_135824_HDR.jpg
20180827_152254_HDR.jpg
20180827_152302_HDR.jpg

Clio 172
More than likely. Mines on a 53 plate and I thought that was mate as it has cruise too!

Headlights look spot on now!

I cant remember when it was registered, I have no idea how it could be so late though. It was registered in Wales, it was still on its original plates when I got it but they were all smashed up on the front so I got some new ones. I am sure it was Glyn Hopkin???

Thanks r.e. the headlights - it made A LOT of mess doing them!

Clio 172
Good results. I used meguiars kit and doesn't come up as well as that, nice one

I looked at that one as well, but I thought sanding would give a better cut/finish. Not gonna lie though, I was bricking it having to sand the units down though!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I looked at that one as well, but I thought sanding would give a better cut/finish. Not gonna lie though, I was bricking it having to sand the units down though!
Nah sanding is the only way! I usually dry sand with like 600 first, then if I need to move down to about 280 then work my way up to 3000 and ceramic coat em a few times

Clio 172
Nah sanding is the only way! I usually dry sand with like 600 first, then if I need to move down to about 280 then work my way up to 3000 and ceramic coat em a few times
I think I need to go lower. The roughest in the kit is 800, I think mine were bad enough to warrant a lower grade of paper...

monaco 172
I used the meguiars kit, they came up perfect

However I did start with 600, 1200, then onto the pads which came in the kit which started at 1800 i think.

Then buffed with the mop head thing on the drill.

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
Maybe I'll try that then, thought the little ones you get in the kit didn't start gritty enough

monaco 172
Maybe I'll try that then, thought the little ones you get in the kit didn't start gritty enough

Spend plenty of time on each grit after the 600 grit to get as many of the scratches out as you can and then start buffing with the drill.

I used the plasticx stuff that came in the box, then used meguiars ultimate compound, then super resin polish and then finished off with a couple of layers of wax.

Can't believe the finish, shame it will only last about 3 month until they go yellow again..

Clio 172
Spend plenty of time on each grit after the 600 grit to get as many of the scratches out as you can and then start buffing with the drill.

I used the plasticx stuff that came in the box, then used meguiars ultimate compound, then super resin polish and then finished off with a couple of layers of wax.

Can't believe the finish, shame it will only last about 3 month until they go yellow again..

The finish will only last for 3 months??!!

monaco 172
Yep, depending on where you park in relation to the sun.

Did mine last summer, they were shitty again by autumn. I even used the meguiars UV protectant on them.

The only way to get a longer lasting refurb is to relaquer them with a good quality 2k clear coat but I just wanted a quick fix.

Meguiars now do a 2 step kit which includes a laquer which is sprayed on them and should last longer than just sanding and buffing.

Clio 172
I think that I'll do them again then use some of that then. I know some people use clear coat but it's supposed to be quite hard to get a good finish.