ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Turinis - 205/45/16s?

Silver Clio 172 Cup
Evening All

My cup sits on Turinis with standard 195/45/16s at the minute. Is there any downside to fitting 205/45/16s as on the Trophy?

I guess the speedo would be a tiny bit out and there would be a wee bit more weight, but I can't see any other problems.

Anybody?

Cheers

Tom.

Mk7 Golf, Daytona600
surely it wouldnt effect the speedo due the the 205 being the width of with tyre (part that touches the road) not the overall width thats the "45" part

someone correct me if im wrong

Last edited:
  Silver Clio 172 Cup
45 is the sidewall heigth as a percentage of width, so a 205/45 has a very slightly higher sidewall than a 195/45. The speedo would under-read a little bit, but it over-reads a bit at the minute so that might not be a bad thing!

My real concern is whether it does anything nasty to the handling, rubs the arches etc etc.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
No problem at all. Drop them straight on.

Technically, they make a difference. I personally couldn't tell any real difference in handling characteristics and feel...they just give you more grip/traction.

Silver Clio 172 Cup
That's exactly what I need to know thanks Mark! I just want more grip for a euro track day trip. I usually use 15" 888s on track but can't bothered lugging them over there (or leaving them on the car for 5 days round europe when it might rain) so I want to get the grippiest normal road tyres I can fit on my road wheels.

Do you have any recommendations out of interest? PE2s? I've used 888s, T1Rs, Yoko Paradas and GSD3s on the car so far but I'm open to suggestions...

Clio 172 PH2
I've been told by the tyre place that you go down a profile size if you're increasing width so you'd have to have 205/40/16s. Is this right?

Silver Clio 172 Cup
You can do if you want to reduce/keep the same sidewall height but it'll probably mean the tyres cost more and you have less choice. I'd be happy with 45s so I haven't tried to find out!