ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1080p Streaming

Real men just put a mac mini in the front room ;)

All my media (music/films/tv shows) are on a 1TB usb drive hidden in my tv cabinet connected to a 1.83ghz mac mini

I download everything on that - have a wireless keyboard and mouse in the front room for it - and I watch all my media directly off of it so streaming isn't a problem
That's on a 50" samsung TV

In the bedroom I have a 32" samsung TV with an appleTV on it which allows me to listen to music and watch my tv shows and stuff all upstairs. I don't bother streaming high def as it looks better on the 50" and theres 5.1 surround sound in the living room too

Then I have a macbook pro in my office and use home sharing in itunes to copy whatever my current favourite music is onto it

Works pretty well

You can pick up a mac mini for about £300 and of course it upscales standard dvd's as well

Very impressed with the WDTV Live, especially considering it was less than a hundred pounds.

Pros:
  • Very compact design.
  • Good enough GUI.
  • Excellent video quality (better than streaming).
  • Ecellent audio quality (DD & dts).

Cons:
  • LEDs are too bright (will mask these).
  • Remote control is fiddly.
  • No list/detail view when browsing.

Overall it is a superb little player. It solves all my issues, and also improves on the image quality that I had previously. It falls short of excellent due to the cons listed, but for the money, it's a five star product for anyone wanting a reasonably basic 1080p media player. On top of the superb image quality (and in response to some internet uncertainty), it does pass DD 5.1 and dts 5.1 bitstreams over hdmi to an AVR. I have not tried passing it through a TV to an AVR via toslink. Mine is hooked up solely by hdmi through my amp and it works flawlessly with mkv/x264/h264 and mt2s. I have not yet tried pure binary ts.

For a hundred pounds, it's really good :)

Very impressed with the WDTV Live, especially considering it was less than a hundred pounds.

Pros:
  • Very compact design.
  • Good enough GUI.
  • Excellent video quality (better than streaming).
  • Ecellent audio quality (DD & dts).

Cons:
  • LEDs are too bright (will mask these).
  • Remote control is fiddly.
  • No list/detail view when browsing.

Overall it is a superb little player. It solves all my issues, and also improves on the image quality that I had previously. It falls short of excellent due to the cons listed, but for the money, it's a five star product for anyone wanting a reasonably basic 1080p media player. On top of the superb image quality (and in response to some internet uncertainty), it does pass DD 5.1 and dts 5.1 bitstreams over hdmi to an AVR. I have not tried passing it through a TV to an AVR via toslink. Mine is hooked up solely by hdmi through my amp and it works flawlessly with mkv/x264/h264 and mt2s. I have not yet tried pure binary ts.

For a hundred pounds, it's really good :)

Incorrect, you techno r****d. There is a list view, and also a thumbnail view that shows the list view and a live thumbnail with audio.

Yeah it's brilliant TBH. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to watch HD content quickly and easily with no fuss, and at a bargain price. Thanks for pointing me in this direction :)

WDTV Live + Passport 1TB = Alpha.