ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v Oil Change / Top Up

cDc

182 Arctic Blue

Hi Folks, thinking about changing the oil and filter in my car (1.2 16v) coming up to 7000 miles and want to keep it running nice as I do a fair bit of stop start driving for a couple of hours a day. Now im a bit of a thicko when it comes to this stuff, but in the manual it says that for all petrol, lpg and multi valve engines ELF ELITE premier Plus 5W30 should be used so thats what I will get unless anyone says otherwise! The service booklet has a little chart with temperatures but it confused me lol it has a list of oil grades at various temperatures :confused:

The levels are getting a bit low (just above minimum) would it be better to do a full change or just a top up.

finally how easy is it to do an oil & filter change yourself on these engines and can I buy the filter and oil from Halfords or is it better to go to Renault? How do you dispose of Oil also assuming 4 litres of the stuff will drain out? (local garage?)

CHEERS!

Skoda Fabia vRS

i wouldnt go for a 5W-30 myself, it might be a bit thin given some heat, an if your stuck in traffic then thats not what u want

go for a 5W-40 instead, preferably a fully synthetic

Lionel Richie

I have the same engine, and i use 0W40 Castrol RS (good for 15bhp extra!!!LOL) Get the oil filter from Renault, its about £7 (make sure they give you the paper one, its a replacement element that fits insidde the oil fiter holder)

Ad

MK2 FRS

Fred, so you can just get the insert???? When I changed mine im sure they charged me £19. Got the plastic case as well.

Lionel Richie

b******s!!!! yeah you can just by the insert (BTW my piggy bank has been raided ad, as well as everyone elses i know!!!!!! £400 in 20ps,10p, 5ps, 2ps and 1ps ok with you?????;))

Takes about 15 mins to change oil (giving 13 mins to drain, ie have a cuppa, 1 minute to remove and refit insert, and 1 minute fill the bugger back up)

or just go to Kwik fit and pay the man £25 to do it for ya. BTW I always go for semi synthetic, cant stand crappy thin and useless synthetic. Dont care what anyone says, its no better than tap water! Synthetic oil is just there to get people who like their cars thinking they are getting something better

Skoda Fabia vRS

no, its not

synthetic is thin at low temps, like room temp, so that it flows around the engine faster, which is good cos it will protect it faster

semi synthetic is still likely 50% mineral oil

once up to normal temps then the thin as you put it fully synthetic will be the same thickness as your semi as long as the hot rating is the same, like a 10W-40 semi and a 5W-40 fully synth, the synthetic will flow better on start up yet be the same thickness once your warmed up as the semi

the only reason that synthetics have thinner cold ratings than semi/mineral, is that its impossible to get a semi/mineral to flow as good as a fully synthetic does at cold temperatures, thats why you never see a semi 0W-40 or 5W-40 etc.....

whats views on that gtx magnatec stuff brun or guys? any views, will kwik fit do it with a decent filter? doe sit make a diff! do i need to take the oil to them?

Lionel Richie

Gtx magnatec aint bad, but i found its a bit too heavy for the 1.2 16V engine it gave sh*t MPG!!! Dunno what itd be like in a 172, Mobil1 is what id go for in a 172

Skoda Fabia vRS

yea like Fred says, minimum you can get Magnatec in is 10W (cold rating)

and for a new 16v engine it might be a bit thick to start with, stick a few miles on the car tho and the 10W-40 wud be fine, though if you can afford it or want ultimate protection go for a fully synth in 0W or 5W (cold ratings)

Lionel Richie

I didnt get an oil change in the 6K check (all the muppets do is check all the lights and other stuff works)

H22A7 Accord Type R

i rung up about that free 6K miles checkup and was told, didnt the sales man tell you, if you bought your car this year it doesnt need it...... lol! I had an oil change when it went in to get a new sump gasket anyway, as it was seeping oil.