ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£600 to spend on Coilovers. Opinions

Hi

I have circa £600 to spend on some goodies for the 172, and was thinking of getting coilovers, as frankly, I find the standard shocks to made of cheese I have been through that many in 18 months!

I want to the car to be low, but not stupid low, as eventually I am going to slap on some Borbet A's.

Criteria:

Comfy, as I only really drive back country lanes (living in the sticks).
Able to go fairly low, as eventually will be down on some euro wheels.
Good quality build.

Any help and opinions would be great. At the moment I'm swaying towards the KTR/Gaz set up.

Ta

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
The fact thats your about to put some lead weight Borbet on i'd suggest you get something for style not purpose. i.e FKs. Needs to be low to pull off those wheels anyway!

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
Hi

I have circa £600 to spend on some goodies for the 172, and was thinking of getting coilovers, as frankly, I find the standard shocks to made of cheese I have been through that many in 18 months!

I want to the car to be low, but not stupid low, as eventually I am going to slap on some Borbet A's.

Criteria:

Comfy, as I only really drive back country lanes (living in the sticks).
Able to go fairly low, as eventually will be down on some euro wheels.
Good quality build.

Any help and opinions would be great. At the moment I'm swaying towards the KTR/Gaz set up.

Ta

Shouldnt have said that.

Everyone will be in here in a minute complaining about how bad GAZ are.

Just a pre comment before GAZ get slated really.

Never had a problem with mine. They are rather hard, but thats how I have setup the damping.

If you are looking at them because they are at the top end of your budget, maybe look for something a little cheaper, such as the Weitec ones!

Bilsteins are £704 if you can stretch the budget?

Whats the height adjustment on the Bilsteins? Have heard good reviews on them, but from what I can see only lower by 20mm?

The Borbet A situation is just an idea at the moment, I need to decide what I want to go for, Euro, or Track look, not decided yet.

He's got it wouldn't look for coilovers if u want comfy lol

I know they are not going to "comfy", what I mean was something that's not going to destroy my spine every time I hit a bump, my mate has some on his 172 cup, that are seriously bad! Should've explained that better really :eek:

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Ahh right well I hear sping and damper is a softer setup rather than coilies but I'm not sure how low they go

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
For £35 more you can have the KW variant 1, the weitec being £30 cheaper than your budget

The Bilsteins lower 30-60mm officially. Might be able to get lower with the tyre rubbing but that would not pass TUV testing so theres no offcial information to back it up. Go too low and you will not get good damping on bumpy roads whatever the manufacturer.

260% JCW
The fact thats your about to put some lead weight Borbet on i'd suggest you get something for style not purpose. i.e FKs. Needs to be low to pull off those wheels anyway!

Fk's are good for the money.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Budget yourself a bit more and go for Bilstein B14's. That couple hundred quid extra is worth it.

save up more and get KW or Bilstein

Hi Fred

Was going to come and see you for a cambelt/de-phaser pully. Can you supply and fit Bilsteins? Have weighed up my options and for the extra money, Bilstein seem to be the best and most highly rated. As if you can supply and fit I will probably get these done at the same time.

21 Turbo
Mate, there are people who are telling you to buy Bilsteins yet they dont actually own them.
Begs the question how on earth they can rave about them lol

Unless he's changed them I think Jack Kemp is on Sportline springs, Kam Racing sells Bilstein and is doing a Group Buy at present so in all honesty is not in any way likely to tell you to buy something else. I went to see the lads at JMS the other week, I asked them about coilovers, they told me to buy V-Maxx, I drove home scratching my head thinking 'what Ive never heard of them', it used to be Spax/Koni/Eibach when I last bought suspension for a mass produced car....I got home went on the trader section and lo and behold JMS are doing a group buy on V-Maxx pmsl

I had Bilsteins on my M3 and yes they were very good but compared to what? I never tried anything else....none of us are Andy Rouse nor can we afford to do our own group tests.
Are you personally going to see the £200 difference driving to work and back, then maybe 1 or 2 trackdays a year?

I'm not saying they are s**t, I'm not telling you to avoid them........just do your homework maybe go on a few other fora. Its a big spend.

Ph1
£600 is a lot of wedge for ''just a stance'' unless your tracking it?

40mm Apex will give you a very good drop, perfect for normal road use. Any lower and it'll be a pain.

Folk say their harsh but usually these are people who are either soft / gay / or from the south ;)

Matched with decent shocks and their totally fine

21 Turbo
£600 is a lot of wedge for ''just a stance'' unless your tracking it?

40mm Apex will give you a very good drop, perfect for normal road use. Any lower and it'll be a pain.

Folk say their harsh but usually these are people who are either soft / gay / or from the south ;)

Matched with decent shocks and their totally fine

From the South - hahahaha fook off and fry a mars bar ya wee dunder ;)