ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£230 to fix a sodding head lamp

The Bus and MRT
The Xenon has gone on the passenger side of my clio, I got a replacement bulb for £70... it did the same thing, turned on for a second then went off. I've taken it to renault and they say the computer is damaged and needs replacing... £230 it's going to cost, what a piss take, does anyone know if I can get one cheaper elsewhere? :(

406 passion wagon..
the computer.... sure it's not the ballast? I'm sure that's one of the more expensive parts. If you can find it under the bonet, get some numbers off it an google it. There should be one each side, they provide the 20,000 odd Volts to ignite the gas.

The Bus and MRT
I don't know mate, the car's at renault now and I've just told them to order the parts in, cars way overdue it's mot now so it needs fixing. Making me feel ill about the bill when I collect the car, £75 for the washer bottle, £235 for the headlight computer then + labour it's going to be over £500 I think. Selling the car this week hopefully as well so there goes 30% of the money I'll be getting :( new car isn't looking so likely now

the computer.... sure it's not the ballast? I'm sure that's one of the more expensive parts. If you can find it under the bonet, get some numbers off it an google it. There should be one each side, they provide the 20,000 odd Volts to ignite the gas.

Ignite the gas? you must have a different type fitted on mine the ballast provides the power to arc between two points and the gas in the bulb is used to cool it ;)

Ballast/control unit/starter pack... all one and the same thing. Joys of the motortrade you get 5 different terms for the same part depending on who you speak to.

BMW M135i
Well whats the difference between the unit on the back of the bulb and the unit on the bottom of the headlight ?

The one on the back of the bulb has 33kV printed on it which I assumed was the starter and the one on the bottom has 11kV or 1.1kV (can't remember) which I assumed was the ballast or is that the computer ?.