ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Young drivers insurance

Ph2 Meg 225
I passed my test today and am now on the hunt for insurance so I can finally get off the drive. I was wondering who people found the cheapest for a 17 year old etc preferably who allow modifications as mines lowered ;)

any help appreciated
Kyle

I think it's 19 for Brentacre. I'd just return it to standard for a couple of years until you can get a modified policy (speaking from experience), but you'll probably just ignore that advice ;)

Ph2 Meg 225
I think it's 19 for Brentacre. I'd just return it to standard for a couple of years until you can get a modified policy (speaking from experience), but you'll probably just ignore that advice ;)

Damn... Ill give them a buzz anyway and I was tempted to go back standard for Abit but couldn't face the arch gap being the same as my dads navara :D

1.2 16v
I'm 17 and the cheapest I could find was with aviva, but that's cos by pure chance my dad needed to renew so got multicar.

DB.

BMW 440i
I was tempted to use the search but thought that prices change regular and therefore would vary from 7-8 months ago ;)

Yes, they will all have increased slightly more, yet all the companies will be the same and there are lots of deciding factors that no one on here can tell you. Use the search button, find all the most recommended companies and contact them if you want the best quotes.

Or ask everyone on here and go with the general consensus and hope CS chose the best company for you

Ph2 Meg 225
Yes, they will all have increased slightly more, yet all the companies will be the same and there are lots of deciding factors that no one on here can tell you. Use the search button, find all the most recommended companies and contact them if you want the best quotes.

Or ask everyone on here and go with the general consensus and hope CS chose the best company for you

im going to ring quite a few still but wanted a guideline of what others were paying and who with. I have about 4 lined up ready ( never heard of three of them but might be for the better). I know some people may not like it but I posted the thread so I could save time and get insured as quick as possible :)

Will be considerably cheaper if you allow an insurance company to fit a "black box"

Was tempted by this last yeah but I decided to pay the extra £200 lol.

Hate the idea of someone tracking me!

Ph2 Meg 225
I couldn't do that, you have to drive within certain times which would be an issue and then your speed being monitored. Noooo way would I get one hahaha. Might as well get a three wheeler as that would be more fun ;)

I found out the other day that you have to pay for the black boxes to be fitted to your car :/

Usual lifestyle tips:

* Remove all modifcations (if you can bear it. £500 is a lot to insure some £80 lowering springs)
* Be as accurate as possible with annual mileage (i.e. insurance companies figure the more you drive, the higher the chance of you needing to claim)
* Get a job (likewise those, even with a part time job, are deemed to be far more capable of paying an excess rather than not declaring accidents)

Usual insurance tips (things that you can easily change)

* Whack up the optional excess. Needless to say this is swings and roundabouts. The swing being cheaper yearly premiums. The roundabout being the £1000 excess on a £1500 car makes any crash a significant burden on your life. Paying huge excesses, hunting for new cars in a rush because you need to get to work, arguing over payouts etc really is not fun.
* Always go direct for a final price (comparison sites take a lot of commision)
* Pay in one lump sum rather than monthly (monthly payments include interest similar to a loan, so it ends up costing a few hundred £ more over the course of a year)
* Add your parents/older sister/grandmother (anyone who is stastically a lower insurance risk than you) etc as named drivers. This is completely legal if you are the #1 main driver with the policy in your name. It would not be legal for example if your dad insured the car on his policy with you as a named driver when, infact you are actually the named driver.
* "Market value" of your vehicle - play around with forms online and choose it carefully. E.g. insurance companies figure that, to an extent, you'll take more care driving a 4k car than a £500 car. Obviously you have to be reasonable, but I found my insurance was much cheaper when my 182 was worth £2999, as opposed to £3001. Insurance quotes are just a very long sum done by a computer so all these thresholds can make a big difference even if it seems illogical.

Needless to say never lie. Plenty of stories of people getting in very sticky circumstances when they crash and find their insurance is void (my favourite being the guy who tried to get cheaper insurance by saying the car was kept in a garage at his house, then when the insurance company visited his house, he doesn't even have a garage...)

'06 1.2 campus sport
Its a while ago now, not sure if you have insurance yet but if not try LV. Mines £2270 and thats with aftermarket wheels of the same size. Not sure if they like coilovers though

R

rhys davies

Try quinn direct mate there cheap got the same car as i just different modds and i live in a rough area my own policy with my mom as named drives £2000 was spot on tpft try it mate