ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Yet Another MX5 Project! (1.8 California)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
how old is it?? try footman james etc and stick it on a classic car policy, you won't get no claims but its spastic cheap.

mx5
MaLicE said:
how old is it?? try footman james etc and stick it on a classic car policy, you won't get no claims but its [word filtered] cheap.

Its a 95 car so sixteen years old! Thanks, ill give them a try now.

Gaz. said:
Just chisel your allen bolt off.

Not really sure what you mean? Its counter-sunk so flat against the steering wheel. May try drilling it out but Im scared ill f**k something up!

mx5
Got back from uni yesterday for easter holidays so fitted my garage vary lip. Really like this pic my brother took, shame that the car is still off the road so cant take any proper pics til I get it mot'd and taxed in june. These pics also made me realise how much I need to remove the driver side tow bar! Think that's next on the list. Still its looking a bit better from the front than when I picked it up!

6872569878_b93eafe384_b.jpg

mx5
Cheers guys, cant wait to start driving it! Been off the road for a few months while ive been at uni

What are them TSI's? I like them, dont like the skuzzle ones though

Just found out that the TSI's are original zest TSI's, which are meant to be pretty rare, nice bonus!

mx5
Not much has changed on the car really, but Ive got it MOT'd, taxed and insured and have just been enjoying driving it with the top down!
Next on the list is coilies and wheels, start a new job soon so will have some cash for that soon. Went out for some pics recently anyway, here they are

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

and one with a bit of HDR which I'm unsure about

IMG_0345_48_51_tonemappedb.jpg

Since those pics Ive painted the tow hook and the vertical slats black as a temporary fix. I had tried removing the tow eye but have given up for the time being. Ill prob give it another go next time the sun comes out.
I think one of the rear springs is a bit f**ked, so Ill use that as an excuse to get some coilies., but after I get those and some new wheels Im probably going to just keep it as it is. Unlike and other car Ive owned im just reeaallly enjoying driving it, so would rather spend my money on petrol than mods!

Impreza Wagon
I've also got a California on the drive :) it's got less miles but in worse condition as the panels got battered in a hail storm. I've been looking for a garage vary splitter but they're so pricey! I'll keep my eye on this thread and try and get some pics of mine posted up at some point.

mx5
Cheers for the comments guys! I insured it with elephant in the end, it wasnt too bad in the end, about £1000 for a 21yr old with no NCD in a london postcode. Hardly any more than my brother is paying to insure his 1.2 8v punto haha.

Matt, Ill keep my eyes peeled for pics of yours, would be interesting to see, is it standard atm?

Impreza Wagon
Mines totally standard, it's just had the lower arches and sill's chopped out a re-done at great expense! I'll start work on it soon though, I keep spending to much time on the Clio.
fb12928b.jpg

mx5
So my car failed its MOT today, will be too expensive to sort out so going to be stripping it over the next few weeks. If anyone is interested in anything then drop me a PM (non-standard parts first preferably as I may just sell the standard car to a scrap yard or something)

mx5
Body rust, apparently whoever fixed the rust before just fillered it all so it would be too hard to weld it now

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
My welding skills are abysmal but my unit neighbour is brilliant at it.

How much for the whole car?

mx5
Its by no means perfect apart from that. Battery doesnt hold its charge and it needs suspension replacing tbh (one spring failed mot but could prob do with a whole new set of suspension). Theres also some rust coming through on the frong driver side wing. Its your call mate.
Id probably want around the £600 mark as it is or £500ish if i put it back to standard, as thats around what id get for breaking it I reckon.

mx5
Just realised that Im no longer a cliosport club member so cant make a for sale thread, if anyone is interested in parts from the mx5, drop me a pm!

Impreza Wagon
I've just seen your thread on MX-5 Nutz, shame it won't be back on the road again. I'm also worried mine might have been patched up over the rust and it's the MOT next month. I've dropped you a PM regarding some parts, not sure if you'v still got it?