ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

XBP - 172 Cup - from Daily Driver to Weekend Toy

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Bought in Dec' 09 for commuting 80 miles a day from one end of Buckinghamshire to the other, I wanted something that could sip fuel, not cost a lot, but embarrass a lot of metal when need be.

It remained mostly standard aside from some Eibach springs and 172 Xenons. So, it looked like this for a very long time:

8601018686_62b90c97d3_z.jpg

8601018450_3acd41952b_z.jpg

8599918761_4a257a4132_z.jpg

Then, I stopped doing a daft commute and started working in central London - and the 172 sits for 5 days a week doing nothing.

So, because the Clio was now worth about £5.49 and not worth selling - I decided to keep it and spoil it a little.

Current Spec:
Engine: Standard, Vibratechnics Engine Mounts, Polybushed dogbone.
Suspension: Bilstein B14's, Bilstein Top Mounts, Eibach Camber Bolts, Eibach 25mm Spacers all round.
Wheels: 2118's in Anthracite
Interior: Wrapped the gash blue trim with 'carbon'.

9724250763_612ca0683c_z.jpg

Plans:
Bush refresh, R888's, whiteline RARB, track it as much as possible.

She's a reliable WIP, and definitely doesn't show the 120k that she's done.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Looks very purposeful now its lowered on B14s with the 2118s :approve:

Clear side repeaters would just clean the side view up and silver visions in front imo

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers chaps, hopefully I'll get some decent shots soon - I've since sorted the front bumpers alignment.

Got a bit of scrubbing on the off side to sort too.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Update time: Direzza's fitted, stolen clear repeaters from the wife's dynamique, ride height raised to sensible, removed the badges from the B pillars, new front arms, rack bushes, track rod ends, and an alternator.

14757099744_7ed6e3cdd2_c.jpg

Renault Clio 172 Cup by adamlstr, on Flickr

14572810308_60be0d5d07_c.jpg

14572811638_5566ac97f1_c.jpg

14759119412_de32989766_c.jpg

14572793559_3257d24da9_c.jpg

14572814458_a8705197f2_c.jpg

14759445095_1c3f68fb7e_c.jpg

14756262531_64478dd495_c.jpg

14572806908_c612d4634d_c.jpg

14759114702_1b4daafc9b_c.jpg

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Looks great! The car looks so much more purposeful now.

Love the wheels however a new set of wheel bolts would really finish them off.

http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/race/wheel-nuts-bolts/hub-buddies-wheel-bolt

Edit: just noticed the centre caps. Really nice touch.

Yeah I've been meaning to sort the wheel bolts out, just haven't got round to it! They only seem to last 6 months then they're all rusty again! :(

What centre caps are they?

Goes to show that a good camera really shows a car off properly.

Errr, they came with the wheels when I bought them off Mark, Dr Jekyll - I think they're billy basic hub nut covers from steelies, painted to match.

Looks great :)

Love this.

Perfect, don't alter the looks at all (I know its not a show car but it looks perfect)

Cheers guys, yeah it's covered in battle scars and way off perfect but I kind of like it that way.

It's currently away having a harnesses + bar, buckets, black poly bushes, etc etc done. Haven't seen it in 2 weeks!

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Updates? Love the look of this
Cheers! Actually got it back today after having the following done:
  • Powerflex 'black' for the ream beam, rear top mounts, and all the ARB bushes.
  • Brembo grooved discs at the front
  • New rear calipers, disks and pads
  • Caliper rebuild at the front
  • Cobra fixed buckets
  • 4 point harnesses, and rear harness bar hidden in the boot
  • De-cat and nice free flowing centre pipe
  • Junked the spacers for now
Bit dark to get photos now but I'll get some up next weekend. It's SO much fun now.
How did you find the vibratech mounts over the standard ones?
Easily one of the best modifications I've done, literally #1. They're not too firm, just a bit shaky at idle. The standard ones are so so s**t. The vibratechnics stop all my gear stick movement, no nasty exhaust/subframe knock, and it makes the whole car feel more positive.

Clio 172 cup
Cheers! Actually got it back today after having the following done:
  • Powerflex 'black' for the ream beam, rear top mounts, and all the ARB bushes.
  • Brembo grooved discs at the front
  • New rear calipers, disks and pads
  • Caliper rebuild at the front
  • Cobra fixed buckets
  • 4 point harnesses, and rear harness bar hidden in the boot
  • De-cat and nice free flowing centre pipe
  • Junked the spacers for now
Bit dark to get photos now but I'll get some up next weekend. It's SO much fun now.

Easily one of the best modifications I've done, literally #1. They're not too firm, just a bit shaky at idle. The standard ones are so so s**t. The vibratechnics stop all my gear stick movement, no nasty exhaust/subframe knock, and it makes the whole car feel more positive.

Did you notice any difference/worth doing with the powerflex black series on the rear beam??