ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wrecked my 1.2

FF Clio 182
Was waiting at a T junction minding my own business, then a person cut across and smashed into another car causing his car to come smashing into mine.

Smashed my headlight, bumper, door and wing. Car is set at insurance for £1000 pounds. I currently have fully comp insurance as the other driver is claiming responsibility (3 cars involved).

Where do I stand on making a claim? I don't want to make a claim and my insurance goes up. I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Also I have personal accident cover so where do I stand with this? Since the accident my neck and upper back is a bit sore.

The car that hit me didn't do a massive amount of damage but hit me hard enough so turn my car.

As you can see from the second picture I'm just waiting at the give way and am just collateral damage.

2yderyry.jpg

gepe4avy.jpg

hahyreqa.jpg

R

rhys davies

Gutted for u mate the car looked really nice aswell at least your ok :)

FF Clio 182
Yh but its the door is all creased as well so calling my insurance in the morning to see what they say and seeing the doctor about my neck :(

Clio
Poor show, from the title i was expecting some kid to have wrapped his 1.2 around a lamp post in a "race". but im gutted for you mate, must be really annoying knowing that you did absolutley f**k all! Hope it all gets resolved and doesn't cost you!

Dodgy one
You claim off the guy that hit you, Your insurance will rise slightly next year if you contact them they will sort it out and will also be able to advise you on claiming for your injuries.

you claim off the car that hit you insurance, i had a foreign registered car hit me head on my side of the road back in april, he accepted responsibility so it goes down as a NON fault accident and shouldn't affect your NCB either, it has however put my insurance up slightly but this could also just be to the insurance price hikes what they're always doing

FF Clio 182
Yh my excess is like £250 but people say I will look my no claims and my insurance will go up! I did nothing wrong! I was just sat there! Insurance is stupid! I will call them see what happens. How much did your insurance go up by? I got personal injury cover so I can claim that .

FF Clio 182
Poor show, from the title i was expecting some kid to have wrapped his 1.2 around a lamp post in a "race". but im gutted for you mate, must be really annoying knowing that you did absolutley f**k all! Hope it all gets resolved and doesn't cost you!

Sorry to disappoint :)

its up by around 200 from last year although im sure il get it down again before renewal, just done some online quotes the other night you see, yeah you may have to pay your excess at 1st until they accept liability, i had to do it with mine but my excess is higher than that so i told them to hold on fixing my car until they'd received recognition of the other party being at fault

I wqs thinking that tbh but until the other side accept liability the OP will have to pay his excess and then claim it back as that's what they told me 2 do so I told them to just bring the car home until it was sorted and then rebooked for the repairs

FF Clio 182
The other driver has excepted full responsibility for the accident. So I not paying a penny towards it. If they want my excess they can take it out of my settlement.

clio 197, 1992 mini
No I don't think so either it's only 4 parts but then would need a respray so bit worth a car valued at about £1000.
It's prob a write off if the damage cost is 75% of the cars current value not what it's valued at on the insurance because that was the value at your renewal which could off been 11 months ago its crap that your insurance goes up when u did nothing wrong just change insurance next year and say you Havnt had a claim as you r claiming on other guy as its his fault that's what iv done twice don't see why the innocent person should pay more :(

FF Clio 182
Makes sense :) also I have alloy wheels on my car I haven't declared but I heard as long as I don't claim for them or in someway they didn't cause the accident then I should be fine. Is this correct? I got steels I can put back on? :)

182 Cup, Camaro Z28
if it's the other car's fault you shouldn't have to pay a thing, you will NOT loose any no claims as these are on your policy and you haven't claimed on that. You insurance will go up and even though it is NOT your fault you have claimed at some point and so are now in a catagory of 'likely to claim' and so your premium is effected. Hopefully a payout will counter balance the increase.

With regards to the wheels some insurancy companies could be funny, but essentially it is NOT your policy you are claiming from, it is the other guys. So his insurance should send an assessor out to look at your car. Your insurance wont. Imaging what would happen if you car was untaxed and insured in your private drive and someone smashed into it. I believe the guy who hit you would pay out as they smashed your car up while it was parked.

FF Clio 182
if it's the other car's fault you shouldn't have to pay a thing, you will NOT loose any no claims as these are on your policy and you haven't claimed on that. You insurance will go up and even though it is NOT your fault you have claimed at some point and so are now in a catagory of 'likely to claim' and so your premium is effected. Hopefully a payout will counter balance the increase.

With regards to the wheels some insurancy companies could be funny, but essentially it is NOT your policy you are claiming from, it is the other guys. So his insurance should send an assessor out to look at your car. Your insurance wont. Imaging what would happen if you car was untaxed and insured in your private drive and someone smashed into it. I believe the guy who hit you would pay out as they smashed your car up while it was parked.

Well I wasn't parked I was waiting at a give way and as far as the alloys go I don't plan in claiming for them so if they say anything I will just say I don't want any money for them. My mate has given me a set of steels to put on

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
I think you need to count yourself lucky; insurance companies will do everything they can not to pay out. Whilst you may not be at fault here one day you might and if you have undeclared modifications the insurance company can wriggle out of paying out. Unfortunately your insurance will likely go up, that's the way of the world (or perhaps just the useless UK) and you'll have to declare and explain it for the next few years. Real pain, been in the same situation. In future, declare everything, then you know you're safe! Sorry to hear about your accident anyway.

Renault clio 2005
Feel sorry for You. Insurance companies sometimes give you the option to buy the car off them if it is written off. The car will be recorded as accident damaged on the national register. But You could then repair the car yourself and get it back On the road. Could get the replacement parts from scrap yard Or ebay.

Makes sense :) also I have alloy wheels on my car I haven't declared but I heard as long as I don't claim for them or in someway they didn't cause the accident then I should be fine. Is this correct? I got steels I can put back on? :)

oh dear lord.... sorry mate, I hope you get the car sorted but you really cant be doing sh*t like that! what if you had been at fault, your insurance would be void the second your insurance company found out...

either insure the mods and pay extra or dont get the mods! people not declaring mods is one thing that causes insurance to go up all the time, and it causes problems for other people when you crash into them whilst rolling on wheels that arent declared...

Surely most people don't insure having different wheels? I suppose you should

it is happening way to often mate that people arent declaring mods, and it is something that p*sses me off because people dont seem to think of the after effects if they were to cause an accident...

but any mod should be declared,

You won't lose your no claims, but your insurance will go up unfortunately, even if it's not your fault and not claimed off your insurance.

Clio 220 Trophy
Our neighbour reversed into my sons car just before Christmas , needed a new door , no other damage, cost £1220 through insurance, so that's a write off if you ask me, sorry

Yh my excess is like £250 but people say I will look my no claims and my insurance will go up! I did nothing wrong! I was just sat there! Insurance is stupid! I will call them see what happens. How much did your insurance go up by? I got personal injury cover so I can claim that .

You won't pay the excess, it will be covered by the person's insurance who hit you - you may have to initially, but you'll get the money back

FF Clio 182
Yh get my courtesy car Monday and tbf it probably better they write it off because the wheel took the full force of the impact so the subframe probably bent! Might put the money I get towards buying a clio 182 :)

its a write off mate ! there looks way to much work to warrant the cost of the car ! a lesson learnt is to insure all mods , i bit the bullet this year and declared my mods, it cost £12.46 extra ..... not worth the hassle !!

Good luck finding a 182 !! :D if not surely a 172 is in budget ! can get one for a bag of sand nower days !

FF Clio 182
Considering the accident wasn't my fault and I was merely in the wrong place at the wrong time, the insurance company want an extra £400 to insure a 182! The system is broken I have to suffer for something that's not my fault!

Considering the accident wasn't my fault and I was merely in the wrong place at the wrong time, the insurance company want an extra £400 to insure a 182! The system is broken I have to suffer for something that's not my fault!

You were in a 1.2 before! Going to a 182 is going to increase your insurance by around that before counting a crash!!

You have to bear in mind that you are going from a 75bhp 1.2l 16v to a 182bhp 2.0l 16v... That is going to increase your insurance by a few hundred quid!

Been there done that, I written of my 1.2 once! Had bald tyers on (I know stupid right) and drifted straight into a barrier at 40mph!

some images for you just to make you feel a little better

5mwqc2.jpg

that hurt like a b**ch ^

second one (aftermath)

2qvtxfs.jpg

Instead of going through my insurance and raising my premium (I was 18) I repaired everything myself!

and now shes back on the road!

FF Clio 182
You were in a 1.2 before! Going to a 182 is going to increase your insurance by around that before counting a crash!!

You have to bear in mind that you are going from a 75bhp 1.2l 16v to a 182bhp 2.0l 16v... That is going to increase your insurance by a few hundred quid!

Yh but I do an insurance quote and they want £1100 but I add my accident in then they want £1500 for the 182! Don't see why I should pay more on insurance why I haven't done nothing.

FF Clio 182
Yh I understand the more powerful the car the higher the insurance. I just don't get why it would go up after having an accident that wasn't your fault! So I have to suffer because somebody else can't drive!

Just a heads up here, i just went from a 1.2 mk2 clio to a 182 and it was cheaper to insure the 182 than the 1.2 last time round :), i live in the best postcode area which may have some effect, but even so its still expencive. Try other companies as you might get it cheaper than uve been offered. Btw im only 20, so age will change it alot too.

Sorry to hear about the crash m8, was a major case of wrong time wrong place. :(

Last edited:
  FF Clio 182
Just a heads up here, i just went from a 1.2 mk2 clio to a 182 and it was cheaper to insure the 182 than the 1.2 last time round :), i live in the best postcode area which may have some effect, but even so its still expencive. Try other companies as you might get it cheaper than uve been offered. Btw im only 20, so age will change it alot too.

Sorry to hear about the crash m8, was a major case of wrong time wrong place. :(

Yh my postcode isn't that bad either! I will admit tho a 182 I'm 21 and have 1 years no claims so £1500 ain't bad but still not as good as £1100! Got my courtesy car today, 12 plate 1.6 litre Citroen DS3. I not a fan of Citroens but I like the feel of it! But I might just have a fetish for French cars ;)

Yh complete wrong place wrong time

Yh my postcode isn't that bad either! I will admit tho a 182 I'm 21 and have 1 years no claims so £1500 ain't bad but still not as good as £1100! Got my courtesy car today, 12 plate 1.6 litre Citroen DS3. I not a fan of Citroens but I like the feel of it! But I might just have a fetish for French cars ;)

Yh complete wrong place wrong time

Its a pain but the way they look at it is , if youve had a accident (regardless of fault) you are more likely to be involved in another one (again regardless of fault) its silly like you say you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time but all they do it look on a scale and add it up ! shop about i say got my 182 insurance down from 1100 to £801 and thats fully comp with all mods declared 22 with 2 years ncb! worth doing !!