ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Would You Stick With Clios

its been crossing my mind, that with clio's if you get problems, its either a pain to put right again or ridiculous cost to fix, plus its harder for us (students) to just fork out hundreds after hearing a quote for repair/servicing etc, and its making me think it is worth paying to fix or just selling up. What my main questions are:
a)How many in your opinion think its worth the hastle to fix?
b)Who thinks its better (not easier) to just sell?
c)Who would just stick with clios all the way e.g. 1.2 > 1*2 > 197
d)and for those who have done (c) do you regret it?

340i
Ive done it and still love it, to be honest if you know the basics about car maintence your fine.. i study I.T at uni and i am more than fine IMO!

Ive driven various other cars and i just like clio's... below are the clios i have owned:

18 MK1 clio RSi

18/19 MK1 clio RSi

19 MK1 1.2 Oasis (just for 3months ;))

19 MK2 PH-1 172

yeh sure when things go wrong it can seem a little expensive, but its just the same with any other car?

golf
A)I wouldnt pay over half ther cars value to fix it(im a student with little money).
B)If its broken it will be worth jack all
C)Definatly not
D)my first clio.

Focus MK2 1.8TDCi
a) i will fix small things..
b)If there is something major wrong, i will fix, then sell on straight away.
c)Doing that currently, looking for something else, that isn't a clio.
d)n/a

a) i will fix small things..
b)If there is something major wrong, i will fix, then sell on straight away.
c)Doing that currently, looking for something else, that isn't a clio.
d)n/a
picking up on that. . .say your cambelt snaps, could you fix it straight away, its pretty much a students nightmare lol

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
thought i would, had a 1.2 dynamique first and planned on getting a 182 but was too similar to the 1.2 bar the engine obviously, so got a mini :rasp:

I ve only had one but I would have another and I will almost certainly own another one at some stage in the future.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique+
depends what is wrong with it, but as already said basics like replacing brake pads etc can all be done yourself. I'm also a student so money is tight, but if u find yourself a good garage, they'll see u right for the big jobs. Go independent.. i'm lucky to have mike, dave and glen on my door!

Again depending what is wrong, if u have an engine prob for example which cannot be pinpointed i'd probably bodge it as best i can then trade it, let the dealer worry about it.

I love my 1.6 but i started with a Ka, i can see myself workin my way up the scale so to speak as i do love them. But u never know what the future holds so i'm open :)

Black 182
its been crossing my mind, that with clio's if you get problems, its either a pain to put right again or ridiculous cost to fix, plus its harder for us (students) to just fork out hundreds after hearing a quote for repair/servicing etc, and its making me think it is worth paying to fix or just selling up. What my main questions are:

a) I Think my 182 would be worth fixing , coz its 1 of the most fun cars to drive ive owned so far
b)Depend on the circumstances
c)Dont Know yet its my first 1
d)Will let you know !

RS 200
C

Out of the 4 cars owned, 3 have been clios.
Started with a 2001 1.2 Dynamique, went to a 2005 1.4 Dynamique then in 2007 to the 197.

Happy so far, not had any real dealer trouble, and would happily get another RS Clio in a couple of years when a change is due.

106 GTi
Mine is my first venture into the world on Renault, not another Clio model at the moment I want to buy.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
had a mk2 ph1 1.6 16v on coilys - loved it.. So much fun, miss it to hell!

looking at buying a track toy just now - maybe a valver or cheap ph1 172.

wont ever have one as a road car though, need something far more reliable for commuting!!

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
This is my first clio. My first car actually.
I would see myself stepping up to a 172 in the next year for sure. Get my Clio perfect then sell it for a 172 im sure.

However i did originally drive my dads company car, 1.8 TDCI Focus Estate. Now that was a car, i could see myself buying a focus estate because i loved driving it, was fun to drive, and had enough power.

Going back to my 1.2L is a disappointment i just am hungry for a bit more power like the focus estate.

BMW M135i
a) If its breaks i'll fix it, end of.
b) Most of the time it'll just cost you more to sell up and move on.
c) I've done it, I went 1.2>1.6>172. Looking at an RS Megane or Focus ST next. I'd have another.
d) Nope, not at all. Know the car pretty much inside out now because of it too. (and because I can't leave them alone!)

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
To be fair, if the cambelt snaps, it's 99% of the time because it hasn't been changed when it could be. And it's not as if other cars that aren't Clios don't have any issues - VAG/Jap groups are all just too up-themselves to have such discussions. At least we don't have to worry about rust...

So in summary - yea I'd have more Clios :) The Vee has never gone wrong and touch wood might never go wrong. I could go out and buy a new R32 tmrw and frankly, if it went through the first year without a warranty claim or two I'd be stunned. I had a 206 from new - got shot at 3 years old - not one single problem, went to the dealer once in 3 years for a service (on schedule) - that was it :)

Dan

2005 Impreza WRX STI
I have had 2 x slow clios, a valver and a 172. I loved them at the time but theres better out there. If you can afford a bit more than you would spend on a renault, you will get a better car! For the money though you cannot complain. As for fun factor, theyre brilliant! Shame you dont get the build quality or reliability! I am looking at getting another car now. A 182 falls into the price bracket but Im not even going to bother driving one

V6 230
I like Clios still at the moment, would get another make but just not any that I really want at the moment.

Started off with a 1.4 Clio Maxim S, then ph1 172 and this week got a mk1 V6.

I would buy more yeah. I've had a valver (had it for three years) that was years ago, then moved on to the vee after a car in between.
My dad has a mk2 172. All in all none of which go wrong (touch wood)

At the end of the day if they are well mainteined etc there is no reason for them to start falling to pieces.

ST

Thats exactly what i've done..

Had a brand new 53' plate dynamique as my 1st car.

Then got my black gold 182.

Now have my R27.

If they weren't good cars i wouldn't be on my 3rd..

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive hard to change engines, gearboxes, clutches, ecu's, wiring looms the lot with my clio and still love them and ill have many more! infact on the look out for a high millage DCi at the moment!

i think there really good looking cars, handle brilliant and are great fun to drive so ill be sticking with them.

ive learned so much from them and because of that now never have to pay any labour costs again as i can do everything myself!

LY V6 with Recaros
I would, mine is my first one I've owned and I've maintained it from new so I've not had any problems with it *touch wood*

I'm a bit lost. All cars cost money to run and maintain. In fact, a Clio is probably cheaper than most. So the question should be "can I afford to drive a car" in which case the answer would be "obviously not".

Or am I missing something?

I didn't get mine to be reliable I got it for the fun drive that it is

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
ive hard to change engines, gearboxes, clutches, ecu's, wiring looms the lot with my clio and still love them and ill have many more! infact on the look out for a high millage DCi at the moment!

i think there really good looking cars, handle brilliant and are great fun to drive so ill be sticking with them.

ive learned so much from them and because of that now never have to pay any labour costs again as i can do everything myself!

I agree with what your saying but i've gone vag with my current car and it's just thrown some new stuff into the equation.. i get to learn about turbo's, coolers, dump valves etc etc..

I paid £12 for a digagnostics cable so i can do any diagnostics free of charge in the comfort of my own drive!
Show me a renault that you can do that on.?

Shed.

dunno really im on my second clio. I like clios, not the best cars certainly but theyre fun and i like the way they look. If you love your car, as with any car its definately worth the hastle to fix.

No i dont regret it. Not sure whats up next. Might look at a 182 in 2-3 years but they might be old by then. So no idea really.

+ im sick of the s**t driving position.