ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Worth an Upgrade yet (PC) ?

Not a 320d
Ive not really played any games what so ever in the past 6 months. Not any that are demanding anyway.

Current spec;

i5 750 runing 4GHz
8GB DDR3 Dual
Gigabyte P55 UD5
Xonar STX
Radeon 5870

Now the only games ill touch anytime soon are BF3, MW3, Metro 2034, maybe a few others.

Is this system going to cope?

Dont want to upgrade really, but ill happily spend £200 on a 6900 series (Although not sure which one....I will stretch if worth it) if it needs it. Would rather be able to play these games smoothly.

Get another 5870 if you wanna run bf3 on ultra or at a high resolution

Or crossfire some 6000 series cards if you have deep pockets

Monaro VXR
Got to keep in mind the 6870 isn't as fast as the 5870. And the 6970 is only slightly faster than the 5870. It wasn't a huge upgrade. Not worth moving up from a 5870 to a 6000 series. Very very little between them. In some games it is less than 3FPS others you might gain 10fps. But a 2nd 5870 would gain you a good 80% improvement on frame rate.

The 5870 is still up there with the high end cards to be honest. Add another one if you want but everything else is fine. Still using my 5870's and they can run everything I throw at them at highest settings possible.

Last edited:
  Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
Should be fine to play those games, if your looking to upgrade though PM me, I supply computer parts ;)

Got to keep in mind the 6870 isn't as fast as the 5870. And the 6970 is only slightly faster than the 5870. It wasn't a huge upgrade. Not worth moving up from a 5870 to a 6000 series. Very very little between them. In some games it is less than 3FPS others you might gain 10fps. But a 2nd 5870 would gain you a good 80% improvement on frame rate.

The 5870 is still up there with the high end cards to be honest. Add another one if you want but everything else is fine. Still using my 5870's and they can run everything I throw at them at highest settings possible.

Thought the 6000 cards had better DX11 support? I may be thinking of 4xxx vs 5xxx though

Monaro VXR
It has better tessellation and if a title makes heavy use of it then it is better.

However it's more of a fix than a new card. So between having a single 6970 or two 5870's the 5870's come out on top easily.

Next gen will likely see a single card being as quick as two of the older ones. General rule with GPU's.

Nimbus Megane R26
That should run them fine!

Iv got:

Quadcore at 2.40ghz (may get an i5/i7 shortly as i dont think the processor is fast enough?)
4gb ram (do i need another 4?)
Geforce 8800gtx 768mb card(got an asus overclocked geforce 560ti 1gb card being delivered tomorrow, should be enough?)

Not a 320d
So really I should look at getting another 5870. Surely they wont be that expensive now???. Ive got enough juice to power it all.

Not a 320d
That should run them fine!

Iv got:

Quadcore at 2.40ghz (may get an i5/i7 shortly as i dont think the processor is fast enough?)
4gb ram (do i need another 4?)
Geforce 8800gtx 768mb card(got an asus overclocked geforce 560ti 1gb card being delivered tomorrow, should be enough?)

Similar spec to my old PC!

Had a Q6600 but ran it at about 3GHz...Oh the days. Also had an 8800GT, upgraded (For free) to two 8800GTS' cards. Was capable of playing COD:WAW. Think MW2 was out at the time not sure how it handled it.

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
I have:

Intel i7 930 overclocked to 3.50Ghz
18GB 1600mhz ram
nVidia GeForce 570
SSD as primary

If you want to make your PC faster the best upgrade I can recommend is an SSD as your primary, just for windows, software and games. Makes a HUGE difference!

Nimbus Megane R26
Mine runs BFBC2 no problems so with the graphics card upgrade and ram upgrade i should be able to play BF3, maybe not everything set to high though!

Mines a Q6600 also cliotoby, how did you get it to run at 3ghz? Overclocked i presume but how you do that?

Mine runs BFBC2 no problems so with the graphics card upgrade and ram upgrade i should be able to play BF3, maybe not everything set to high though!

Mines a Q6600 also cliotoby, how did you get it to run at 3ghz? Overclocked i presume but how you do that?

Through the BIOS, loads of guides over on overclockers.co.uk forums, but unless you have an aftermarket heatsink don't even think about it :)

Not a 320d
I have:

Intel i7 930 overclocked to 3.50Ghz
18GB 1600mhz ram
nVidia GeForce 570
SSD as primary

If you want to make your PC faster the best upgrade I can recommend is an SSD as your primary, just for windows, software and games. Makes a HUGE difference!

I have a small 80GB raptor drive and I agree, the difference between a 7500rpm drive and a faster 10k drive is very noticable. Im not sure how much faster SSD's are but im sure its very good. Bit expensive tho!

Through the BIOS, theres tons of guides on the Q6600, which is why I bought it. Same with the i5 ive got at the moment, I knew before buying it it would reach 4GHz+ and the settings were already there so I didnt have to spend time tweeking it all. Had it running 4.2 with turbo motherboard setting, but I didnt see a difference so I let it run 4Ghz.

Im sure my 6600 was running faster than 3GHz too but cant be sure anymore. Had a Tuinq tower or whatever it was. Little noisy.

Nimbus Megane R26
was it noticable when you went from 2.4 to 3? Im guessing at 3 it will be ok with the standard fans etc ?

Not a 320d
I did run it overclocked for a while with the standard fan but not by much. Its been a while. I tend to get into all this when its upgrade time, then for the next 2 years i have little interest in it and forget things. I even had to look in my cupboard at the box to remember what graphics card I have. There was a noticable increase in performance, definately worth doing. IMO thats what its there for.

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
I have a small 80GB raptor drive and I agree, the difference between a 7500rpm drive and a faster 10k drive is very noticable. Im not sure how much faster SSD's are but im sure its very good. Bit expensive tho!

They are getting cheaper now, I only have a 60GB one.

I used to have a 10k in my old PC and it was noisy as hell!

I'm suprised not a single person has mentioned resolution.

Admittedly the conclusion is pretty much foregone: if you want to go mental get a second 5870 to crossfire, otherwise a single 5870 is still absolutely fine and on average very little between it and a 6900 series card. However there are still people out there who spend £££ on the tower and play at 1440*900. Likewise if it turns out the OP runs 2560*1600 and demands 4x AA, well then that would change a lot...

Not a 320d
My monitor isnt even 1080p. So I cant. Still, it stutters a little on full whack. I would like to invest in a new monitor however to take advantage of 1080p. Should I just buy another 5870 and hope its sufficient to run good resolutions.

I run metro 2033 on 1440x900 on very high settings with little issue. But the resolution seems a little "less than adequate" now.

I cant believe how expensive the 5870 still is! God knows what I paid for mine back in the day.

I've got a Q6600, and 4GB Ram, and a 9800GTX(iirc). Mine plays BF3 okay. Obviously not on ultra.

My Q6600 is at standard speed though. When I bought it I knew they had big overclocking potential.
But didn't know anything about it , and didn't feel confident enough. And I've only got the stock heatsink.

Not a 320d
I had a q6600 before this, Im sure i got it running at about 3.2, on air too. I did have a big cooler though.

Not a 320d
I had a tuniq tower to cool it.

Personally, Id be looking at an i5 build to upgrade to if youve got the dough, unless youre not fussed. Youll get a small increase in performance with games from an overclock I suppose, its the graphics card that matters. You dont have to go bonkers with money - I never do, generally go for a build that can be overclocked to achieve good results every 4 years rather than shelling out all that money for that little bit extra.

Not a 320d
Yeah, at minimum youre looking at ne wmotherboard ram and processor to get anything decent. and thats if your power supply is up to it. If your graphics card is PCI E then thatll transfer over too.

If you do upgrade, like i said, do it on a budget - not a lot of point in spending as much as you can on graphics cards etc.

Evo 5 RS
You must of somehow missed the bit where your brain dispersers the part where it says there are 2, and I'm selling them at 250 each.

It seems like subconsciously you want the pair then, I'll pm you my paypal ;)

Not a 320d
You must of somehow missed the bit where your brain dispersers the part where it says there are 2, and I'm selling them at 250 each.

It seems like subconsciously you want the pair then, I'll pm you my paypal ;)

Im not sure whos in the wrong here. :)

You said;

I'm selling my 580GTX's if you're interested. £250 each

GTX's and the word Each implies theres 2 of then. You said £250 each, as in £250 each - Per, individually.

Its just ive got an ATI 5870 and wanted another card for crossfire. Buying a single 580 might be a tad pointless with an ATI card (I know they can be coupled up) however I would be more interested in two cards. Just £500 (as in £250 each) is more than I have or want to spend.

e/

NVM Im a r****d

Last edited:
  AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Im not sure whos in the wrong here. :)

You said;

GTX's and the word Each implies theres 2 of then. You said £250 each, as in £250 each - Per, individually.

Its just ive got an ATI 5870 and wanted another card for crossfire. Buying a single 580 might be a tad pointless with an ATI card (I know they can be coupled up) however I would be more interested in two cards. Just £500 (as in £250 each) is more than I have or want to spend.

e/

NVM Im a r****d

Maybe he has more than 2? :p

I got an Nvidia 9800GTX PCI-E Graphics card. Have they changed since then?
Yea I'd have to upgrade my Mobo. And my Ram is only DDR2, as DDR3 had only just come out when I built mine, and was ridiculously expensive.
Power supply is more than fine iirc. Corsair modular one iirc.