ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Work laptop for £1,000

I've received a budget of £1,000 (+vat) for a work laptop (as I plan on doing work outside of the office this year).

Current desktop spec:

• 1TB
  • W8 64bit
  • AMD Athlon 450 (3.2GHz)
  • 6GB RAM
  • 22" screen

I use it for:

• Adobe (DW/FW/PS/ID)
  • Vegas Pro
  • Sage (ACT/Accounts)
  • Various Office apps

I need something that is as capable (or better) than what I use daily now.

The entire office use Dell, and I have no problem sticking with these again. I need Windows for the Sage apps, and I don't want to worry about file/app conflicts with every other person in the company.

Anything worth considering? Any advice swapping to a laptop over a desktop?

Last edited:
  Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Speaking from experience (I used to purchase, configure & support laptops & desktops) on a large internal project for a number of years using Dell / HP / IBM / Lenovo, I'd definitely go for Lenovo. People don't know the name all that well but they are basically IBM and are fantastic, well built laptops. Personally I hate laptops (I find them slow to boot, annoying to use and don't even get me started on the battery life) but thankfully I don't need to use one very often (mainly work from home or site, or datacentre in which case I don't often need the use of my own machine). But if I had to buy one Lenovo would definitely be my choice.

Nissan 350z
^ What he said. All of our support staffs kit are Lenovo's, they are very widely used in business environments.

Battery life really doesn't bother me, an hour would be enough for me as I'll be sat at a desk all day.

For general use I will use the touchpad, but most of the time I will use an external mouse (far easier for web/image/video work).

For me, it needs to handle the software I've listed and be reliable. That's pretty much it.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Definitely Lenovo for reliability, I've seen issues with Dell, Toshiba etc HP are good as well, but IMHO Lenovo are the same in terms of reliability but better build quality.

DCi
Another vote for Lenovo here. I have a T430 which doesn't compare to your specs but the build quality is great.

My problem is my client is the ministry of justice and they hate the Chinese!

Personally, I'd put Dell at the bottom of the list.

The list was random. I've had no issues with my dell at all, been a great machine. Had issues with HP's at work though but they're older models so it's not worth mentioning about that really.

Also missed out Toshiba, they're good too.

Avoid the likes of Acer/eMachines. Cheap tack

Bloody tones to look at now.

I've read the Y510p has 'sharp edges' which causes a problem when typing, sounds daft, but I guess 8-10hrs a day might be too much.

Any with a matte screen?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Id be going Lenovo at that budget.

Ive got a probably 6yr old now Lenovo T61, 2.4GHz Core2Duo, 8 GB Ram, SSD and it does everything I throw at it! never let me down

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Only thing to worry about Lenovos is there warranty is handle by a Medion, there repair work is shoddy at best and most get refused on the smallest detail.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Would have said a Lenovo W series but a bit over budget, good machines though.

T series also very good, could probably spec one up nicely ESP as you're looking at a grand exc the vat.

Nissan 350z
I wouldnt have a 17" laptop because of how bulky and awkward they are to transport from past experience. Other than that the Envy is a good call, I used to have a 14" one before they started doing the Dr Dre beats versions. They are well made with a high quality finish.

Nearly pulled the trigger on an ASUS N55/N56 today, then realised the only thing letting it down was non 1080p :(

I now know I want:

i7 Quad core
15"+
Under 3kg
1080p
8GB RAM+
Stylish-ish

Could someone with a 15" laptop do me a favor?

Do a full screen print of http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ on 720p and 1080p resolutions? Gives me an idea how different it'll look.

I'm trying to decide if a 15" laptop needs the 1080p? My 22" desktop is 1080p, so don't want to take a step down for web work.

12362681083_ec72478098_b.png

Last edited:
  2014 Focus Titanium
C.J. This isn't really related to the laptop itself but if you are going to be using it extensively at work I would definitely also get a USB keyboard, and raise the laptop up. I have my keyboard on my desk and the laptop sat about 4 inches higher. Unlike normal monitors and pcs, laptops tend to make you hunch over and look down which can give you back/neck ache and more serious issues later in life. From someone who works 50 odd hours on a laptop each week believe me this does make a difference.

Also, seeing as you do web work and such I assume when you're at work you'll be using your old 22" as a second monitor for the laptop? That's what I do and it's invaluable for design and web work.

Just my 2p :D

Ordered this yesterday from Amazon (Lenovo Y510P). £940 delivered.

2.4GHz i7 4700MQ (quad core)
16GB RAM
1TB HDD + 8GB SSD
15.6" 1080p
GeForce GT 755M (2GB)

It's full of 'bloatware' which I plan on removing this week before copying my software/files across from the desktop.

Impressions so far are:

• It's heavy (2.7kg)
  • as reviews confirm, a finger print magnet
  • I wasn't sure I'd like the stealth look with red keys, but I think it looks smart.
  • Quiet (I'm used to my 5 year old Toshiba at home which sounds like a desktop fan)

I've no idea how quick it is compared to my desktop, but I have some work videos I need to edit this week so I can test.

12459626475_5927950341_b.png

12459786503_ab87c7ed15_b.png

12459808293_ccae16d786_b.png

12459820073_02abf6763d_b.png

12460178844_a140324064_b.png

Unless I have some serious issues, just want to say thanks for all of your ideas/comments :)

Nissan 350z
Nice one on finally making a decision. It'll be interesting to see how you get on with it but it deffinately looks the part!

I've had the Y510P for a month now, and used it daily.

Overall I'm extremely happy with it. It's easily taken every task I've thrown at it. It's a little heavy, but it only moves from home to the office in the car, so it's not an issue. It's extremely quiet, very quick (comparing to the other office machines/laptops), but I'm now wondering whether an SSD would have made this an insane machine. I may upgrade when 1TB SSDs are more reasonably priced.

I decided last week to purchase a stand and wireless keyboard/mouse for the office.

Anyway, took a few pictures today while at home.

13171747015_250ff8f483_b.jpg

13171768765_649dda51dc_b.jpg

13171764535_4a04dc0885_b.jpg

13171751165_56965b01a2_b.jpg

13171862413_878e8bd7c2_b.jpg

13171760615_05a11709ff_b.jpg

13172041674_7cc834cdb2_b.png