ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wiper removal?

182 FF
Hi all
this weekend (wether permitting), I'm planning on changing the pump for my windscreen washer.
Bought the pump and a wiper arm puller in readiness, and have already sprayed up the nut with WD40 to get some oil penetration in it to make it easier to pull.
Got a couple of questions though.
My understanding is that I need to remove the wiper (both or just passenger side?) and the scuttle cover (is that a clip off?) and then remove the wiper assembely. I see on other threads that this is simply three bolts. Can anyone post up a pic of the assembely showing the location of the bolts for me? I then believe its just one bolt to release the washer bottle before changing the pump and refitting everything back.
Can anyone confirm my understanding is correct or answer any of the above questions/post pics
ta
Michael

renault clio 1.4 16v
just remove the wiper arms, the covers then clip off, the pump should just pull out from the top, no need to take the bottle out unless you are replacimg that as well... the bottle is held in place by a single bolt if u want to get it out tho, no need to remove the wiper arm mechanism. if you need more space just activate the wipers and switch your ignition off when the wipers reach their highest position... this will give you the most space to get the bottle out if u need to

FF Clio 182
The passenger side wiper will be pretty seized on so can be a pain to remove. Do you have a pic of the pump you bought ? As there is 2 different types and have seen many people supplier the wrong one

You've done the good steps to make it easier come the day you do it. I had no wiper removal tool and mine were pretty tight on, a slight tap with the hammer on the thread going through the wiper arm while pulling up got it out.

The washer pump i got from EuroCar Parts was the wrong one, luckily i didn't actually need a new pump and managed to get mine working again. The one on my car sat into the bottle, the one that i bought didnt have anywhere to go in and the connections were in the wrong place. Pretty useless to me!

182 FF
I bought the eurocarparts pump (as recommended in another thread recently) part number 488545100.
Was only just over £6 with their current promo.
Bought a Nielsen arm puller from amazon for £10 which was less than half the price of the same thing on ECP.

Just thought of something else..... If I remember correctly, the passenger arm is a single bolt but the driver side seems to have two 'pivot' points. Are there two bolts to remove on the drivers arm? Any special technique to it, or just undo them and use the puller on whichever I choose?

Blk/Gold 182 FF
im in the same boat mate, nightmare to remove the passanger one. going to try again now once my hands have stopped hurting lol

Blk/Gold 182 FF
UPDATE!! just come in now from the car, i got it off!!! ok, i had a wiper arm removal tool, then when i couldnt turn anymore with my hand, i used an ajustable spanner and turned it using that. then with a few turns *POP* wiper off :)

But, ive just put it all back together and now when the wiper mechanisam is going round, it seems to scrape on the top of the scuttle pannel, its a horrid noise in the car :( all back off tomorrow i think :mad:

Blk/Gold 182 FF
ye done that :) good job as i have to remove them again tomorrow :( i should of tested the wiper mech before i put the scuttle back on lol

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
I've done this a few times so here's my tips.

Scuttle panel, remove both sides, careful with the clips on the underside, they can break and are not replaceable, there is also a small clip at each end which locates into the inner wings - don't loose them.

Remove the wiper mechanism, it's held in with three 10mm bolts, you'll see them easy, and don't forget to unplug the wiring, the mechanism can then be manoeuvred completely out of the scuttle.

Remove the washer bottle retaining bolt, I think it's another 10mm on the left side of the bottle, you can then tilt up the bottle and you can get at the washer pumps - on the 182 the inlet goes into the bottle at 90 deg. angle, this makes it difficult to remove/replace them with bottle in situ, and you need to take care that you do not damage the grommets that the pump inlet fits into.

I think it's the other mk2 pumps have a bottom inlet so these can be pulled out without removing the bottle.

The whole thing is an easy DIY if you take your time and use a puller, if the taper is stubborn - put it under tension with the puller and a few gentle taps should free it.

You probably know, there are two pumps, one for the windscreen/rear screen and the other for the headlights

Refitting: Just check you have the pipes on the correct way around, for leaks and don't forget the wiring plugs before you put it all back together.

Blk/Gold 182 FF
I did all that except check the wiper mech before fitting the scuttle back :( when i turn the wipers on now, it sounds like, when the wiper arms are fully up (pointing towards the roof) there is a scrape noise coming from the passanger side arm. Under the scuttle pannel it sounds like the mechanism is scraping on the top of the wall? i think i need to move the wiper mech down a little.

CursedTitanium 182FF
Have you located the wiper mech onto the peg at the back on the bulkhead?

Last edited:
  182 FF
Well, I tackled this yesterday.
Getting the passenger wiper off would have been a nightmare without the puller but all in all a simple straightforward job.
However, my headlight washers had never worked so when I tried them again all the water in the tank promptly pissed out of the front of the wheel arch. Nothing else for it but to take the front bumper off. What I found was the last owner (who did a front end re spray to get rid of scratches) had not connected up the hoses and simply left the hose in the bumper connected in a loop. Reconnected these properly and refitted. Headlight washers worked fine but were constantly weeping. Bumper off again and two non return valves fitted in the hoses. All good now. Also took the opportunity to fit some LED sidelights at the same time. Finally, I used Gtechniq C4 on all the black plastics to bring them back to factory black. Made such a difference and now scuttle panel, front grill and mirror edges look fantastic.
In total, about three hours work which I was happy with considering it was my first attempt at any of these jobs.
The guides in this forum were invaluable. Many thanks to you all
Michael