ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter Tyres

Do you use winter tyres

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't know a single person who has used winter tyres and does not think that are worth having. On the other hand, I know of plenty who have never used them and think they are pointless.

Cayman S Edition 1
I can see this thread going on through to next summer with ppl claiming how amazing their winter tyres still behave in the heat.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I've bought a pair of Hankook Icebears for the front of my R26. Pikey for just buying 2? Maybe so.

First time I'll have used any winter tyres on any car. I'll swap them over when the temperature drops a bit more.

For reference, I managed last winter 'just fine' on summer tyres with 330lbft in my old Trophy.

Are you not concerned about the huge difference in grip between the front and back end. Also, what would your insurers point of view be if you had an accident and they found you had two different class of tyre on. Maybe nothing, but might be worth checking up on.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Can you fit winter tyres to high horses?

I won't be bothering, can see the benefits but for me, they're pointless.

Are you not concerned about the huge difference in grip between the front and back end. Also, what would your insurers point of view be if you had an accident and they found you had two different class of tyre on. Maybe nothing, but might be worth checking up on.

+1 at least have them on the back then, otherwise you might just swap ends. Why not buy 2 more?

I see this thread ended up in the same way the other winter tyre threads have.

No real surprise there.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I did actually price some up for mine but they wanted £240 a corner.So realistically I'd be paying £1000 to stop 5 feet quicker.

I think someone living in the outer Hebrides would benefit from them but Mr middle england might as well throw their money out the window.

What tyres did you have during the wall incident last winter Roy? Out of sheer curiosity.

Summers. The difference using winters after that was SRS eye opening. Could go anywhere. Even up or down steep untreated hills safely.

VaVa
I like it how when you lot disagree with someone else, ''We're just offering opinions, this is a discussion forum.... blah blah etc''

But when people disagree with you, they're dumb.

Spot on.

Anyway... who wants grip in winter? Sliding about is far more entertaining.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
I did actually price some up for mine but they wanted £240 a corner.So realistically I'd be paying £1000 to stop 5 feet quicker.

I think someone living in the outer Hebrides would benefit from them but Mr middle england might as well throw their money out the window.

What car have you got?? and LOL at 5 feet quicker..

133/225/CLS AMG
If I was commuting by car or using either or mine regularly through winter, I'd definitely invest in some winter tyres. Simple as that.

For a lot of people they don't value the extra cost but I'm guessing a set of winter tyres lasts a reasonable amount of time/mileage so would last more than one winter.

When people are pricing up winter tyres, they are clearly doing it in the middle of winter. The smart people buy them in the summer time when prices are at their lowest. Mine were £180 each, which is quite a bit cheaper than my summer tyres.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I've given up Roy, as the saying goes "you can't educate pork". Those who have first hand experience or the vaguest grasp on physics can see the benefit. Those that have never driven a car with them are happy to rely on "I neva had an accident so far bruv, we dont get snow anyway" as their response.

I find it ironic that many on here are more than happy to waste hundreds or thousands fitting pointless s**t to their car which will make little to no difference to its performance, will argue with people about buying R888, A048 etc over a budget tyre yet seem to have no interest in having the right boots on when weather renders their summer rubber compound/tread pattern ineffective.

I'm out.

Educate pork? Are you insinuating im stupid? Get a grip Turkish, you like winter tyres, i live life on the edge in summer tyres. Its a discussion, and the majority agree they are a waste of money.

Im not in the slightest bit interested how much they cost or what they do, personally its the councils job to make sure that all the main roads are cleared correctly, motorings already a massive rip off, why would i want to make it any more expensive? Theres nothing ironic about it.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I find it ironic that many on here are more than happy to waste hundreds or thousands fitting pointless s**t to their car which will make little to no difference to its performance, will argue with people about buying R888, A048 etc over a budget tyre yet seem to have no interest in having the right boots on when weather renders their summer rubber compound/tread pattern ineffective.

I'm out.

because for me, in winter a car is about getting to and from work and thats all its for. i leave a bit earlier when it snows, take my time and get there just as safely as i would in the summer! pulling G's off the traffic lights with my winter tyres doesnt sound like fun, so i keep the £500+ in my bank and continue as usual.

nothing changes. except im not £500 worse off. good times!

ive just noticed you drive a honda, do you have enough torque to wheelspin in ice? i think your getting bent over with the fairy tail of winter tyres!

Do they have different snow in Scotland?

Twice last year in a short journey, my car was completely out of my control. I was doing 15MPH max. To say 'Just drive slower' is idiotic.

If it snows i'll get the train to work.

Winter tyres or summer tyres, or even f**king spring tyres not driving atall when it's s**t out will be safest.

Ah cool. We're onto insulting other people's cars now. Post counts are sure to follow.

BTW how have you saved £500? Genuine question.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

Twice last year in a short journey, my car was completely out of my control. I was doing 15MPH max. To say 'Just drive slower' is idiotic.

your car was out of control or you were not in control of the car?

im not a weather expert i wouldnt imagine our snow is much different, maby were just used to it? ive yet to come across an issue with controling my car in it

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i never said i saved it, im not £500 worse off by buying a set of tyres that i dont need, my car came supplied with a set of tyres which im still using, i dont see the point in removing them to fit a set of winter tyres.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my servicing package replaces only like for like tyres, i have no say what goes on them, just 195/50/16 michelin energy something or other. if i want to put a set of winter tyres on i have to purchase them, have them fitted then once winter is over have them changed back over to my standard ones. that to me isnt worth it for a bit more grip i dont need.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
depends what happens with my servicing package, im not sure if it will be updated to reflect this or not, id imagine it probably will. when is the law being introduced?

If there's one thing Britain can be certain of, it's ever increasing legislation. I'd be surprised if it wasn't law within the next few years or so. Just interested to know how people will feel about it when (IF) that happens.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Thats the difference between me and you then. If its a short journey, walk! Aside from visiting a dying relative, nothing is worth driving in the snow and risking crashing/killing someone.

Thats the difference between me and you then. If its a short journey, walk! Aside from visiting a dying relative, nothing is worth driving in the snow and risking crashing/killing someone.

Kind of true, except when you're using winter tyres it really isn't dangerous. Mainly because they are designed to cope with the conditions, whereas summer tyres are not. Of course you still have to exercise caution, but this is the whole point of the case supporting the use of winter tyres - they make winter/snow driving much easier and safer.

If there's one thing Britain can be certain of, it's ever increasing legislation. I'd be surprised if it wasn't law within the next few years or so. Just interested to know how people will feel about it when (IF) that happens.

I have said this in another thread, I will be buying winter tyres when I get back. I will be getting some for the girlfriend's car too. It's not that much money, and it will make me feel better knowing the girlfriend is on the best rubber for the conditions.

Norfolk's roads aren't the best, and around Norwich, the council seem terrible when it comes to clearing snow and gritting. I had to give up on work a few times when we had the last lot of snow.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Kind of true, except when you're using winter tyres it really isn't dangerous. Mainly because they are designed to cope with the conditions, whereas summer tyres are not. Of course you still have to exercise caution, but this is the whole point of the case supporting the use of winter tyres - they make winter/snow driving much easier and safer.

Ok, so I go out tomorrow and spend £600 on a nice set of winter boots. It then snows next week and I decide to go shopping (because I NEED to go shopping...) and i'm patiently waiting at the lights and then BAM! A 2 tonne Audi Q7 being driven by some cnut that thinks they're invincible on the snow ploughs into me and my family.

Until its law to own winter tyres, I won't be owning winter tyres. Because I will be in the minority and the roads will be just as dangerous.

I will stick to my plan of staying indoors in the 4 days of snow we have every year.

Ultimately, I think most people just don't understand or believe how much difference they make in all poor conditions. I didn't believe it myself really until my hand was forced. Now I wouldn't dream of using summer tyres during the winter. I don't expect everyone to agree, and of course there will be people who don't want (what they perceive to be) the additional costs, but it's a bit silly arguing about the benefits of them with people who have used them.

"I can't be bothered" or "I can't afford it" is fine. "They're pointless" is not fine, as it's factually incorrect.

Ok, so I go out tomorrow and spend £600 on a nice set of winter boots. It then snows next week and I decide to go shopping (because I NEED to go shopping...) and i'm patiently waiting at the lights and then BAM! A 2 tonne Audi Q7 being driven by some cnut that thinks they're invincible on the snow ploughs into me and my family.

Until its law to own winter tyres, I won't be owning winter tyres. Because I will be in the minority and the roads will be just as dangerous.

I will stick to my plan of staying indoors in the 4 days of snow we have every year.

I do agree with this too.

The other days my car didn't move. I walked. This was when most of it had gone so I thought I'd be okay. Didn't drive it after that and won't drive it at all this/next year when it snows.