ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Winter Tyres - Are you?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Just wondering, who, if anyone is opting for winter tyres?

I'm going to go for some as it often snows in Aberdeen over the winter - but, what size tyres do ppl recommend? I was thinking 195/45/16 as they're a lot cheaper than 205's.

Looking on camskill and they're about £65 a corner.

Cheers.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Nope. Never had any issues in the snow personally.

I'll be spending money on undersealing the mk1 instead.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Standard size or 10mm narrower won't make a blind bit of difference .. infact narrower may even help a little .. force = pressure/area an' all that. Rally cars run skinny tyres for snow.

For £65 a corner, you can't go wrong !

ph2 172
Best getting a set of steelies with skinny tyres for snow. Cuts through do much better and you find yourself driving around cars with big fat tyres on.
Ok they my not look sexy but better than being stranded.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I have some, and I'm a big advocate of them.

But if this winter is as mild as I'm predicting I might not bother.

Impreza Wagon
I do a 10 mile commute on B roads and last year I found the Clio pretty poor in wintery conditions. I'm tempted to stick some winter rubber on my spare 182 wheels, is there actually much benefit?

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Set of 15" steelies for me. Then run 195/50/15. Less than £40 a tyre for winters for me then :D

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I am in a sense on the Golf this year, not full on snow tyres but wet weather / mud tyres. I've gone for some uniroyal rainexperts. cope very well with the cold wet weather as the compound performs much better in colder temperatures than typical standard compounds.

changing from 205/55/16's on GTi alloys to poverty model spec steel rims that run 195/65/15's.

Renault Clio MK3
I do alot of motorway/ a road driving to commute. First winter ive had the clio too. Should i get some?
Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Apparently that's not a very good idea unless you like swapping ends. Never tried it myself though.

I don't commute so I'd only need them for extreme circumstances, really the car won't get used. Just need something that'll get me moving in the eventuality of massive amounts of snow, not ideal but it'll do. Not planning on being a Petter Solberg either.

ph2 172
Tbh, i dont bother with changing tyres but on my old works car years ago it had skinny tyres and it was ace.
There should be no problem driving in snow if people drove to the conditions and some, driving so slow ("get a move on Gran, Pop wants his lemsip".) that they hold others up on inclines and this is what causes lorries to become stuck and create blocked roads.

172 Cup
Mine is getting garaged for the winter. But then these are the conditions i drive to work in most days as of December... the 1.4 with snow tires all round is a better option for this time of year :)

winter road.jpg

535d / t5 caravelle
got my steelies in the garage ready to go on with snowproxes, worked a treat last year, i also travel on b roads to work, 2 years ago the clio would not move from outside my house on summer tyres, last year i went anywhere i wanted!

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Theres nothing better than banging on a set of m+s tyres and going for a play down some snow covered b lanes.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Yes got a set (winter tyres) on spare wheels for the BM last year so they'll be going be on soon.

mine are winter tyres (doubt that anyone uses full on snow tyres in the uk) and are epic in cold, wet shitty weather. Very very good in snow to bearing in mind my car is rwd.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Yeah have some brand new ones for the MX5 just for some fun!

Also a set for the T5 when I actually need to complete the journey!

I drive in the middle of nowhere in wales where even 4wds are fitting them!