ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Winter storage for my 172

Monaco 172
Going to Afghanistan in Dec for four months, what would be the best course of action to store it on the driveway?

Impreza Wagon
I'd check all fluids and top up or replace if needed, stick some axle stands under it and buy a cover. If you plan to leave the wheels on you could over inflate them to reduce flat spots.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you'd have said 4 years, i'd be inclined to agree with what these guys have said.

4 months is nothing.

I'd personally remove or at least disconnect the battery to stop it draining to death. Other than that, nothing.

PB Clio 172
And fill the petrol tank right to the brim so you don't get water vapour in there.

dont agree with this, the petrol will get old best to leave naff all in it I say

yeah a little ott here. 4 months is not long. Do you not have a mate/family member who can start it or give it a lil drive once a month ??

Monaco 172
It will be on the driveway which is plenty secure enough, mrs could run it up for me if neaded but id rather it wasnt a hastle for anyone.

I think im gonn go with full valet, wheels off, axle stands, car cover, battery disconect.

taking some time off when I get back and will be getting a huge service inc pulley and belts.

rob

172 PH1
4 months is nothing, don't panic - its a Renault Clio, not a Ferrari.

Handbrake off, disconnect battery, car cover if you really so wish.

Nuff.

133/225/CLS AMG
I dry store my 225 for most of Autumn and all of winter and I don't use axle stands or take the wheels off.

I do make sure all the fluids are topped up, fuel tank is brimmed, the car is thoroughly cleaned inside and out. I have also invested in a good breathable cover so it's protected but doesn't build up moisture.

I would recommend putting a moisture trap inside (silica gel box thingy) to minimise the moisture inside the car, cleaning the car, make sure it's totally dry and fit a good cover. Just make sure the cover is really well secured and it'll be fine.

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
I stored my 19 16v for 5 months before outside. Bought a £25 car cover. Car cover was medium size which IMO is tha car was too. Put it on and came back after 5 months too find the paint had been mmarked by the wind blowing and making the car cover rub the paint.

Imo, leave piss all fuel in the tank. Handbrake off and disconnect the battery. The wheels? Your decision.