ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Winter=Rust

valver
I've got a valver,Just out of interest, is anyone else keeping there car off the road through winter or am i the only sad one? gonna buy a cheap diesel to run round in and save my money. I've just had the arches done and its mint so i don't wanna ruin it. plus this way i'll save loads of money to buy bits. that way when it comes out in the sun next year it'll be completely different to the car i put away in the first place

Vee dub
Mine is my only car so I've no choice

I'm doing a fair few miles to Uni and back so my plan is to just keep it clean as often as possible really.

Tom

valver
Luckily my brothers sellin his van so i think i'll get that cheap, i used a motorbike all winter a couple of years back and hosed it off everytime i used it and that didn't rust. I'm ashamed to say it but i had a nova last year and used that but it wrecked that, but then again it is a nova and deserved everythin it got

Vee dub
LOL

I don't think the winter will be THAT bad on the car.... like you say, hose the car down and make sure it's well protected and it should be fine. I'd rather be driving mine than it being sat around in the cold.

Tom

Give all the underside a good coating of something like waxoyl. The exterior panels should be fine just with a regular hose down, its just when the salt starts getting into other places that trouble starts

Renault clio&laguna
It's impossible for me not to use my car so much in winter, so in my case there's no difference between winters and summer. Notice that in Poland, where I live, the winters are harsh in comparison to British winters.
Anyway, I don't use the garage at all and I don't drive less during winters, my clio has 11 years now and it always starts with no problems, and it looks good for a car of it's "age"

waxoyl.jpg

Its all pretty much the same stuff. The aerosol cans are generally the easiest (and probably cheapest way for doing one car). Helps if you can get it up on a ramp or something, i normally give my local garage £5 for letting me put my cars up on the ramp for 10 mins to get under it and spray everything..... try to avoid getting it on the exhaust though as gives a bit of a nasty smell when it burns off!

Vee dub
So you generally spray the underside of the car aswell as the seals etc?

Cheers Shaun

Tom

7.6cc :D
Take the rear door cards off. Paint the insides of the arches with high quality zinc paint. It is impossible for any steel covered in zinc to rust.

Waxoyl is rubbish compared to zinc paint. It will only protect the metal because it prevent the oxygen or water reaching the metal (to make rust you have to have oxygen, water and iron). When the waxoyl dries out or is scratched off the rust will start again. Zinc protects the metal that is painted, even if you only paint it on one side of the metal. Drop a nail half painted in zinc paint in a jar of salt water and the other end wont rust. You need a high quality zinc paint though. Something like galvafroid.

Magnesium work better than zinc but is harder to find. Ever wondered why outboard motors dont rust despite being in salt water all day? They use zinc to protect the steel. Ever wondered why oil rigs dont rust despite being submerged in the sea for years? They use magnesium to protect the steel struts.

Vee dub
Cheers for the info JillyB but I don't think I will bother with removing the cards and all that. It gets well looked after with regular waxing etc.

7.6cc :D
Thats the mistake everyone makes. Rust on the 16v starts from the inside and works its way out. The only way to stop it is to treat the inside.

It works like this. Water gets through the arch or drips down from the window. Water forms on the inside of the arch. Those cars with inadequate factory wax (most) start to rust on the inside. The rust works its way through the metal to the outside. Bubbles appear. Voila.

Thats why cutting out arches doesn nothing to stop rust as people dont understand where it comes from. Unless you treat the inside it will come back.

Vee dub
No I did realise that rust starts on the inside....

Might spend a day sorting it out like you mentioned but don;t have the time at the moment..... seems like a righ b@stard of a job! lol

Vee dub
Gozziee - It's not mad if you have another car to drive for the winter etc, but I like to think mines being driven regularly. I only have the one so have to drive it in all conditions.. I keep her clean tho!