ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windscreen badly marked

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Hey

My windscreen is marked kinda bad.

Seems its had some poor wipers on it for years that have caused ALOT of minor scratches. so much so that any lights cause major glare at night.

I could just smash the screen and have autoglass stick a new one on for thr £75 excess but rather not tbh.

Any way to buff it back to perfect?

Not a 320d
How much experience do you have and more importantly how much time do you have?

Do you have a machine polisher?

If you answered no/none to the above then buy a new one, then when its on apply Gtechniq Glass sealant. IIRc its called G1 and is £10 or so.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Experiance - None.
Polisher - Nope
time - 2 hours in the evening

Should i ask insureance if they will replace it as the glare is VERY BAD

^Good luck with insurance. My brother had this issue with one of his cars and they point blank refused to replace it as it wasn't chipped or smashed. Had to pay for it in fulll. Should have just put a brick through the window.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Carpro do a glass polishing kit IIRC, but you won't see any real results without a machine polisher. and if the glass gets too hot when polishing with machine it can break or crack etc so with little experience in machine polishing I wouldn't recommend it personally

Astra VXR NBG ED
Carpro do a glass polishing kit IIRC, but you won't see any real results without a machine polisher. and if the glass gets too hot when polishing with machine it can break or crack etc so with little experience in machine polishing I wouldn't recommend it personally

That would probably help him out :lol:

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Ok well. I think i will ask insurance as I have a nice chip and it's bad with glare and makes night time driving horrible.
If they say no... Will ask autoglass if they have any glass for my car.. If they say no and have a delay in ordering I will ask for one then break mine hahaha

182ff
Ok well. I think i will ask insurance as I have a nice chip and it's bad with glare and makes night time driving horrible.
If they say no... Will ask autoglass if they have any glass for my car.. If they say no and have a delay in ordering I will ask for one then break mine hahaha
Lol, I am thinking of doing exactly this due to 110k of stone chips !

You can get polishing kits off ebay which require just a drill and a bit of brain. I did mine once, looked like brand new, but now its cracked so its going ti be replaced soon. It passed mot cos its not in line of vision.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
^Good luck with insurance. My brother had this issue with one of his cars and they point blank refused to replace it as it wasn't chipped or smashed. Had to pay for it in fulll. Should have just put a brick through the window.

Thats probably why ?

Hit it hard with a hammer in the corner, drive to autoglass, get new windscreen.

^That's my point. If he's going to claim on insurance, make sure its broken, as they wouldn't replace it in my brothers case, even though the scratches were giving bad visibility.

Mine was the same and when I was replacing the wipers I took the old one off and then slipped and knocked the wiper blade so it slammed down to the windscreen and the hook from the metal blade chipped and then cracked the windscreen, insurance replaced it no issues

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
I need to do mine as i only have small scraches in the glass, i do have a machine polisher but i dont know what compound is best to use or how to prep the window first :S

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
The chap turned up.
He asked me why I wanted it replacing and I said it was due to bad glare and a chip.

He looked at it and agreed. Then replaced it.

I'm with direct line

Did you have to pay an excess with your insurer, or did you just pay yourself?

Glass is covered by a secondary contract with your insurance. Most have a specified fee for "windscreen replacement", but it actually covers upto and including three pieces of glass, for example if you had your car broken into and more than one window broken. My single fee of £75 covered replacement of front and rear windscreens, again, replaced due to being a 10 year old car that had seen one too many car washes, so the glass was jolly dangerous.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Also just to note regarding renewals, some insurance companies class it as a claim that you need to declare but just doesn't affect NCB. For instance comparison websites have a claim section glass repair / replacement.

BG 182
Cheers guys, mine has some crazy haze when the sun shines, it's also had chips filled previously and what looks like bad wipers have scratched the actual glass. Trying to decide what to do, as would love a new front screen.