ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

williams advise

dci126 & H&R'd 1*2
I am thinking of getting myselve a williams clio, because I can't afford a 172-182, and this seems a nice alternative.
Found one at an auction place and it seems nice on the pics (as everything does on a picture), now I was just wondering, what are the things I have to pay attention to, apart from the obvious rust.

Also how much should I pay for it, its a williams1 and it hasn't been run for a year or so, it has a new engine and gearbox (changed a 100k).
Just wanna be well informed before I go to have a look at it.

This is the car
http://www.kapaza.be/Autos/Renault/5763994/Renault_clio_williams_genummerd.html

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

PAS winning.

Cambelt needing doing etc.

Accident damage.

Price depends on condition a mint one I'd say £4k absolute tops.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Trust me, a Williams will cost you more per year than a 1*2, twice the fun though.

My guess for that car, considering the engine and GB change, 4 to 4 half thousand. In the UK

Trust me, a Williams will cost you more per year than a 1*2, twice the fun though.

My guess for that car, considering the engine and GB change, 4 to 4 half thousand. In the UK

Does depend on the car though. If there any big services due on the car the WIlliams will be chaper to run.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
In 10k and 2.25 years my williams has cost be very little.

Apart from servicing the only items which have had to be replaced/fixed have been; wheel bearings, steering column, rear callipers, alternator and battery of which all are wear and tear.

Do a search this has been covered many times but to recap common faults and items to check are;
Rusty arches
Leaking sunroof
Play in steering column
Tappety engine when cold only
Oil pressure when cold idle should be 4 bar + and 6 upon driving until warm (say 5/10 mins)
Normal operating temp is 80dc with pressure 3 bar and 3.5k ish.
Check for gear box to be nice and tight
Electric window motors are usually nakered and wind up real slow.
Check for accident damage and repairs.

dci126 & H&R'd 1*2
Thanks for the advice guys, as far as running costs, those are not a problem, a close friend is a renau dealer and gives me loads of discount on quite a few things, also the car isn't ment to be a daily drive, that's where I have my dci for, but thanks for bringing it up

and without the GB change, because it's a belgian car and I'm belgian to :)

And why 4K I've been looking on pistonheads and 4k is a price for which minters are sold, but this isn't a minter. Or am I a noob and is this what is understood to be a mint car considering the age.

Jamie; thanks for that detailled info, it's important info you gave me there

Cheers

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I cant read the specifics ;)

But for a williams with a mileage as high as 100,000 i would not pay over £1750 personally (at a push!).

Im sure if you wait long enough you will easily find one with much less mileage on.

Dont forget their at least 12 years old now and not many people want to spend so much on an old clio so i would imagine the prices for those other than pristine examples will tumble. Just have a look at a few and buy the best you can.

You should have a look on; www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum if you want a bit more williams clio orientated advice.

2010 focus Rs
you said earlier to look out for whinning PAS, my williams is doing this and steering goes tight what the problem there does anyone know?

53 Clio's & counting
prob the p/steering pump getting old mate,do what i did with my valver and my willy hybrid,change the fluid and put in some forte p/steering conditioner and it improves it no end

ValverInBits
Rusty arches are an expensive fix if far gone so check em carefully.

The engine will tap a little from cold, but make sure it's nice and smooth when warm.

Cam belts are not quite as pricey as 172/182 but still ~£350 iirc as it takes time because the enignes are such a gloriously tight fit.

GearBox Must be sound, no crunching (bad synchro).

Clutch is an expensive job, check when it was last done.

Rack needs to me tight. The Universal Joint (UJ) in the rack often wears and becomes loose meaning there is significant play in the steering. The UJ cannot be replaced, so a whole new column is required. not fun

all in all, williams parts are generally cheaper and if your quite handy, i would suspect it would be a little cheaper to run. With the exception of MPG which will probably be worse on a run. Plus they make a Cracking noise

Williams 1
Ive not had any problems with my williams, its serious fun and gets thrashed everywhere, doesnt rattle to pieces either like the usual french cars!

Go for it mate, u wont ever look back!

if you cant afford a 172 you cant afford a Williams. Unless you are lucky expect problems, running costs on my Williams are infinitely more than my 17poo

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
if you cant afford a 172 you cant afford a Williams. Unless you are lucky expect problems, running costs on my Williams are infinitely more than my 17poo

This is why I must be not winning the lottery as all my luck is used up on my car ;)