ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will it be repaired or written off?

Civic Type R FN2
First of all should I post anything on the internet if the claim is still outstanding? If not I'll delete the thread.

Unfortunately I was rear ended earlier today, I was slowing down/stationery and the car behind was watching the kids on the pavement and didn't notice that I was slowing down. The driver appeared decent, and didn't hesitate to admit fault and provide his details. He had a big Qashqui that had minimal damage.

Anyway I'm concerned whether or not the car will be written off.

2a0thw.jpg

34s40ic.jpg

Sorry the pictures are awful, you can see there is a dent in the boot door, for one reason or another the exhaust tips appear to be sticking out by miles, and I think they are loose because there is now a rattling when driving (either that or the bumper has been pushed in quite a bit.)

The bumper is also cracked, I'd imagine it would be replaced at the very least.

Unfortunately there is damage to the floor of the boot, so much so I couldn't manage at first to pull away the carpet to look, but there is a bulge I'd imagine needs pulling out. Oh, and the boot only shuts with a big slam :(

Or maybe I'm over reacting and it's all an easy fix?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Boot floor damage = Write off usually.

However it looks like the bumper etc could be reused which would reduce the cost significantly. It may be worth using an external garage rather than the insurer's one which usually over-quotes for work.

Whole back end has shortend by a couple of inch. Imo its a write off if it is buy it back stick new bumper on with some tweaks here and there.

Jobs a good un

Civic Type R FN2
The bumper requires some form of repair as there's a crack and some marks on it I would want sorting (if I were to be pedantic.)

Getting a hire car on Monday as I mentioned the boot not shutting properly so it's deemed "not roadworthy".

Clio 172, Pug 106
Will be a write off, insurance companies use genuine parts and the garages usually inflate the labour costs!
Wait till you get the engineers report, see what needs replacing and consider a buy back!

Who are your insurers?

Civic Type R FN2
I'm with Adrian Flux.

I'm wondering whether buying back would be worth it - I suppose it depends on the offer. But along with the bumper I'd have to get the boot floor repairs as it's pushing the carpet up!

Clio 172, Pug 106
Flux are a broker, on your policy it should say the company, I'd say it will be ageas! Who is it providing your hire?
Its just I work for an accident management company, and wondered if it had gone through us that's all!

Civic Type R FN2
Oh it's equity red star I think. And the name of the company providing hire is AI something. I'm hoping that's the company you work for and can sort me out with a Ferrari?

Clio 172, Pug 106
Haha unfortunately not! They have too provide like for like, so you will prob end up with a golf gti!

Clio 200T
Will be a write off, insurance companies use genuine parts and the garages usually inflate the labour costs!
Wait till you get the engineers report, see what needs replacing and consider a buy back!

Who are your insurers?

Not all the time. A lot of insurance companies are now looking at using pattern parts and also "green parts" which are basically 2nd hand parts from breakers yards.

Civic Type R FN2
Rubbish! It's been cat d'ed, and I'm getting a very poor pay out offer.

I've been told that if I don't agree with the price then I have to get an engineers report to show that it's worth more. I thought I should just be able to show them adverts is similar cars?

Rubbish! It's been cat d'ed, and I'm getting a very poor pay out offer.

I've been told that if I don't agree with the price then I have to get an engineers report to show that it's worth more. I thought I should just be able to show them adverts is similar cars?

That's what we did with my dad's Laguna sent 10 autotrader/eBay ads of similar cars with higher prices and got 1.5K more :)

Clio 182 FF
As a suggestion I've not seen mentioned, see if you can have a cash in lou payment without it being written off as a cat d and you fix it yourself. Not many people know about this but it might be an option. I know because I had the same in my mr2 and they only wanted to give me £1600 so I asked if I could simply have a cash payout and I fix it and they agreed for the £1600, not write off, no buy back. Just a cash settlement and I fixed (for a lot less than £1600). Try that matey. Best of luck!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I was going to help but I see the experts are in with more misinformation.

Good luck mate. One piece of advice, ignore 90% of the information in this thread.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Flux are a broker, on your policy it should say the company, I'd say it will be ageas! Who is it providing your hire?
Its just I work for an accident management company, and wondered if it had gone through us that's all!

Utter f**king nonsense. I can't even begin to take that post apart.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Just out of interest mate if you don't mind me asking.. what have they offered to pay you for the car?

Clio 182 FF
I would suggest the cash in lou option and just see what they say. I can't say what the criteria are for it but I know I had the exact same situation and they offered me £1600 for my car that was worth around £3k. They wouldn't budge on the amount offered but they did agree instead to a cash in lou payment so that I could fix it and they DID NOT class the car as a write off. I take back one bit I said though, they paid out £1200 sorry not the original £1600 offer for the car itself.

330i. E30 Touring.
I stand by my post tbh.

Low mileage inferno should be worth £3k to the insurers.

Most companies I have dealt with offer the car to buy back at 10% of payout.

Can easily fix a rear ended 182 with second hand parts for £500 if it's not damaged the rear quarters.

Profit.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
Always try and get an Agreed value on the car. This is what i have on the Trophy.

Civic Type R FN2
Looks like the general consensus is to get the car back and sell on.
What kind of value is it worth in the current state it's in?

Just out of interest mate if you don't mind me asking.. what have they offered to pay you for the car?

Im not going to disclose the amount they're paying me until while thing is over and money is paid.

330i. E30 Touring.
Looks like the general consensus is to get the car back and sell on.
What kind of value is it worth in the current state it's in?

Im not going to disclose the amount they're paying me until while thing is over and money is paid.

I'll give you £500.

About the going rate for a knackered car tbh.

Civic Type R FN2
Fair enough, suppose I should get it fixed which should probably add a grand on or something.

I had the car given back to me today from the garage, the guy offered me a decent amount for it to use as a track car!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Fair enough, suppose I should get it fixed which should probably add a grand on or something.

I had the car given back to me today from the garage, the guy offered me a decent amount for it to use as a track car!

The same guy who estimated the repair costs for your insurer? :s

Clio 172, Pug 106
Engineers go off glasses guide, they take the mileage, market research mileage etc into account, fully independent and have no financial interest at all !
The reason market research is asked for is because there's only so many places engineers look!

also CIL is a good option, you will get your pre accident value, minus salvage obviously!

Have a word with a few local bodyshops for quotes!

Civic Type R FN2
Engineers go off glasses guide, they take the mileage, market research mileage etc into account, fully independent and have no financial interest at all !

The reason market research is asked for is because there's only so many places engineers look!

also CIL is a good option, you will get your pre accident value, minus salvage obviously!

Have a word with a few local bodyshops for quotes!

Sorry CIL? I''ve got the car back now. It's perfectly drivable so I can use it once the hire car goes back.

I've got a minimal amount from the insurance company,just told I need to claim the rest should they accept the dispute.

The repair guy could be pulling a fast one, but I doubt unless he over estimated the repair cost by a considerable amount.

Megane 275 trophy006
Going through similar with mine ATM. 197 at 100k miles but mint condition as it's been babied. Worth about 3.7-4.5k at a push

i was the car that caused the rear end collision (5 years no claims gone)

i called my insurance company (I used a broker for my policy too) everyday as they were lax in getting progress. I stated that if the car were to be cat D'd over a bumper (needed a repair and respray on front bumper, new slam panel , fog light bracket and lower grill) then I was going to cancel the claim and recollect the car, they were fine with that.

they actually got the body shop to quote them the price of the fix, if it would write the car off or not too and when I phoned back today got told that it wouldn't be a write off and the engineer had already given the go ahead for the repair and where waiting for my ok to send the order.

other option I considered was letting them cat D the car and take the payout then buy back the car and repair it myself at a cost of 1k to repair (I made sure they knew I wanted albi back from the offset, that car was coming back to me) but then have trouble shifting it on eventually

also like for like hire car is pish. I've been given a 1.0 aygo which I'm glad for as it keeps costs down.

i always thought, as your not at fault, you can push to have the car repaired or be put back in the position you were before the accident e.g in another 182 of similar condition?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Elaborate? Take it apart? Intrigued by how u think uou can do so

I'm not sure what this post means but please explain to me why a garage would inflate figures on his car.

I would also suggest reigning in the advice as fact. It's not fact and you're misleading the OP, especially considering glasses.