ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Will Clio sport shocks/dampers fit on a mk2 ph1

Clio S mk.2 ph.1
Hi to all, a dilema I am in...

I would like to lower my beloved Mk2 ph1 1.4 S, but rather than just lowering springs, i was thinking of fitting OE Renault clio 172/182 shocks/dampers & springs but not too sure if they will fit, I know 182 cup assembly wuldnt as they have 60mm bolt spacing and i think clios generically fit 58mm including sports.

I am after a more sporty feel & better handling but dont want to go so low that i could stick my a**e out the door scrape it along the road :)

any ideas & help would be much appreciated

Clio S mk.2 ph.1
cheers guys thanks for the help,

what are thoughts on lowering springs then seen a dapper Apex set thatll drop by 30-40mm, im only looking at barely used ones on ebay if its not worth going the whole hog.

Titanium phase 1
Yeah do that then but don't expect huge gains in terms of handling,it'll deffinately look nicer tho,just keep costs to a minimum on a 1.4, my first car was a 1.2 nova for £50 and spent nearly 3grand on it,looked nice but wasn't worth it.:cry:

Clio S mk.2 ph.1
yeah i know not to expect much from lowering springs. just dont want to go so low that it bounces round corners haha. I just want to look a little nicer. i would be gutted if i spent that much on my clio mate seeing as it is what is! :)

Titanium phase 1
I was 17 year old boy racer with nothing to spend money on. you live and learn ....then buy a french tin , and then another.. steady learning curve :banghead:

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Nothing better to spend money on? So you couldn't have spunked £3k on a better car, or put it in your savings account?

Titanium phase 1
i was 17, savings dont come into it at that age and insurance was a killer back then, its a hobby. better than pi%$ing it up the wall or worse

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i put £800 coilovers on my 1.2 16v, had them properly setup and was the best mod i done to it!

if you want to go 172 setup you will need hubs, bottom arms, ARB, id run brakes too not sure if you would 100% need to fit them though. possibly more ive missed out but thats all i can think of now.

rear setup fits straight on.

Clio S mk.2 ph.1
hmmm food for thought Martin,

thanks for your input, im sure picking up the parts wont be to hard ive got a good breakers near me, and possibly use the old ebay!
i think it would be a good mod, give it a better feel when throwing it into a corner because thats all you can do with a 1400! :rasp:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
personally its probably what i would do these days if i was going back to lower powered mk2 clios, run the RS setup inc brakes., parts would be cheap ish especially from a brakers, i would probably just drop the top suspension bolts out and take the full subframe and swap it over to your car. invest in a set of eibach springs while your at it

Clio S mk.2 ph.1
Is the subframe a must as these can pricey?? & what benefit would i get from droping the top suspension bolts - just more low??

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
na can use your current subframe, i just ment undo the top suspension bolts, un do the subframe bolts and remove the full lot in one and swap onto your car.

Ktec'd 1.2 16v Sport
I got mine on some Ebach sportlines and Toyo proxes Cf1 185/55 r14 totaly makes it handle better. Plus was alot cheaper!