ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why does everyone hate Vista so much?

Motorbikes
Just wondering as I'm not really a computer boffin.

I'm getting a new laptop next week sometime hopefully as my desktop is about to take a dump, and will probably have have Vista on it as thats what they seem to come with these days and have never really used it, as both my computer at work and at home have XP.

Is Vista really this bad.

Mountune Tractor
People hate it because it uses 60% of processing capability to run the GUI before you even try and run any programs.
I shouldn't need to close everything down manually, Microsoft should of built something more stable in the 1st place!
Windows 7 FTW.

Clio Dynamique
I use it at home and work now. The search in the start menu makes it much quicker find programs and even files.

Not a Clio
Nout wrong with Vista as long as you're not trying to run it on an ancient machine. If you're looking to buy you might want to wait for Windows 7 though which they're aiming to release by the end of the year.

people dont like change!

Vista changed a things so a novice user could do tasks easier, however it actually resulted in more clicks and windows which for people who know what they are doing caused agro. Alongside this UAC was to much for most people, yes you can disable it but its Microsoft trying to stop novice users doing stupid things.

Also people complained about memory hogging and general complaints about performance.

However, I have two vista machines at home and have no problems with them. I also work in IT and we have vista computers in our organisation and they run without problems too.

People will complain about Microsoft, its a way of life.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I don't like it because it's crap.
It's my opinion and i'm sticking to it!
Xp any day.

Not a Clio
Need one asap as I need it for uni work. Buy now then reformat to windows 7 when it comes out?

If you don't mind spending money then sure. Your other alternative is Linux which is free. Depends whether it will do everything you want and you're prepared to re-learn how to use an OS.

Otherwise look at OEM versions of Vista, they're cheaper you just don't get the fancy box and you're not supposed to activate it more than once although you can.

182FF with cup packs
Vista is a memory and processor hog.

Thing is, XP was a memory and processor hog in comparrison to 2000.

2000 was a memory and processor hog in comparison to NT4.

The latest version of an OS with all the bells and whistles is always going to run slower on the same machine as the previous version.

I'm personally not a fan at all of the interface, but then again, I dislike the XP interface as well, every XP machine I use has it set to windows classic mode.

I dislike Vista habit of asking me confirm every god damn decision I make, BUT, I understand why these things are turned on by default. They're not there to help users like me, and users like me can easilly turn the options off, but the users they are designed to help wouldn't have the first clue on how to turn these help options on if they came disabled by default.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Because it runs all of my apps and games slower than XP with the same new hardware. Looks nice though, thats about it.

Is Vista really this bad.

No it's not. 99% of users will have no problems with it at all. It looks ok and does the job just fine. Professionals have reasons why they don't like or need it, and that's fine, but for most home users it's just perfectly good enough.

What you will often read, is people who have no clue how to build or maintain a PC, having all sorts of issues with their PC and blaming it all on Vista because that's the cool thing to do. Computer lepers will have issues on any OS IMHO.

People hate it because it uses 60% of processing capability to run the GUI before you even try and run any programs.

Which forum did you read that on? 60%?

Rofflecakes. My mediocre laptop idles at about 2%. Yes it uses a lot of memory but apparently this is to improve performance by reducing disk access.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Which forum did you read that on? 60%?

Rofflecakes. My mediocre laptop idles at about 2%. Yes it uses a lot of memory but apparently this is to improve performance by reducing disk access.

Exactly. My laptop idles at nothing, even with DreamScene running. Which is cool. And with 4GB memory, it loads as much as it can into memory so that it doesn't have to read it from your disk(s)...

Scirocco GT 2.0
Nothing wrong with it imo.

We run it across our whole network which consists of desktops and laptops and have done so for nearly 2 years along with Office 2007 etc and it has never missed a beat. Windows Deployment Service is wicked too.

Will roll out Windows 7 when that's released too, will get the final release 5/6 months before public release.

As said, some people don't like change, some companies are happy with XP and don't need/want to upgrade especially during the crunch.

Better than yours. C*nt.
No it's not. 99% of users will have no problems with it at all. It looks ok and does the job just fine. Professionals have reasons why they don't like or need it, and that's fine, but for most home users it's just perfectly good enough.

What you will often read, is people who have no clue how to build or maintain a PC, having all sorts of issues with their PC and blaming it all on Vista because that's the cool thing to do. Computer lepers will have issues on any OS IMHO.

Yep. Loads of people will jump on the Vista Hate-wagon just because it's cool. Like a load of people jump on the Mac bandwagon because it's cool - not because it's better at what they want to use it for...

DCi
I don't dislike vista itself, I just had some issues with it:

start menu: when you click on all programs if you want to use the mouse you have to scroll, which is a bit rubbish, so I put my start menu on to classic style, problem solved. (not learnt the keyboard shortcuts/not used to my laptop keyboard to type fast enough, doing it that way, but again not vistas fault!)

wireless: when i put vista on my desktop it couldnt find my wireless network (I admit I am fair distance from the access point but XP could do it) Couldn't solve it so I jibbed vista off.

wireless does work on my vista laptop so it must be some kind of driver issue, not vista.

It's the same as Office 2007 for me, at first the User Interface is uninititave because we have been used to the file edit type menus for so long, but once you get used to the Vista 'ribbon' way of doing things, it is actually quite efficient.

Punto/Clio GTT
all this ram hog nonsense, go read up on vista and how it distributes its ram before you make uneducated false comments

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I dont give a s**t about how Vista distributes its ram, I just know with my new hardware which was brand new and decent at the time it ran everything that I used slower than XP did and gave me less FPS in all games and benchmarks.

I also use it at work and have been for the past 2 years, this is on our company Dell machines which where bought brand new with Vista and love to crash randomly all the time, all using the latest drivers available for all hardware. Explorer.exe randomly crashes and it is in general buggy and nasty to use! But I put up with it.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
vista is actually totally underatted. All points have already been mentioned tbqh...i've never had a problem and i've got a number of personal machines that i've built for others and for myself all running it fine. put it like this, i wouldn't go back to xp unless i really had to.

Shed.
Nout wrong with Vista as long as you're not trying to run it on an ancient machine. If you're looking to buy you might want to wait for Windows 7 though which they're aiming to release by the end of the year.

Agreed. i dont like it though, its a personal issue.

Shed.
Yep. Loads of people will jump on the Vista Hate-wagon just because it's cool. Like a load of people jump on the Mac bandwagon because it's cool - not because it's better at what they want to use it for...

Ive always been a hater of MAC untill recently, then you acually realise how good it is, in a mac environment, the networking capabilities are fantastic. Its just Mac and Windows seem to have a problem communicating :eek:

ph1 172
ive used vista for 2 years on my laptop.

initially i hated it, but now when im on my xp work machine i miss lots of the functions.

In vista you can just search in the start menu for files and programs so you dont have to go looking through the menus.

I can only get it to crash by unplugging certain usb devices that we work with but thats just a bad driver!

The menus and locations of settings and things are completely different to XP (like changing wireless network priorities) but its not a bad design, its just not where it was in xp.

Office 2007. mmm, well for anybody whos used 2000-2003 a lot, the migration is painful, especially if you use anything other than simple functions. Its like learning to use each program again, people dont want that.
I think microsoft made a big mistake not having an option to use the old menus. its not that the idea is bad, but im stuck using 2007 on my laptop and 2003 on my work pc and its a nightmare!

Punto/Clio GTT
Because it runs all of my apps and games slower than XP with the same new hardware. Looks nice though, thats about it.

funny how when i compared a fresh install XP Pro to a fresh install Vista Ultimate my FPS was identical on both installs on same settings.

But keep up with the pub talk, gg.

start menu: when you click on all programs if you want to use the mouse you have to scroll, which is a bit rubbish

How do you mean? The mouse works perfectly normally in either start menu doesn't it? It does on mine anyway. On the dektop & laptop. Unless I misunderstand you.

I also use it at work and have been for the past 2 years, this is on our company Dell machines which where bought brand new with Vista and love to crash randomly all the time, all using the latest drivers available for all hardware. Explorer.exe randomly crashes and it is in general buggy and nasty to use! But I put up with it.

So the problem lies with the Dell PCs & drivers? Explorer doesn't just randomly crash all the time. That is simply not true. In your case it might be, but you don't seem to get on too well with computers at all TBQFH ;)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
funny how when i compared a fresh install XP Pro to a fresh install Vista Ultimate my FPS was identical on both installs on same settings.

But keep up with the pub talk, gg.

I had like a 2000 point difference from XP to Vista, the score doesnt lie! Why would I lie just to argue? t**t.

DMS

A thirsty 172
It's mainly because people are misinformed about it in the first place I'd say.
It's trendy to hate Vista because other people do.
Fact of the matter is, there's nothing wrong with it as long as you run it on a decent(ish) machine and learn how to use it properly.
It's quite a lot different to Windows XP, and as has already been pointed out - most people don't like change.

DCi
How do you mean? The mouse works perfectly normally in either start menu doesn't it? It does on mine anyway. On the dektop & laptop. Unless I misunderstand you.
on an XP start menu, you click all programs and you can see all the programs, you then locate which one you want then move the mouse directly onto it to reach it/it's submenus.

on vista you click all programs and it squashes a selection of the all programs menu into the space, so you can only see a dozen(? perhaps) and if what you want isnt there you have to click scroll then click onto your program once you find it

it is an issue that is more my fault than vistas, but heh I prefer the XP start menu.

on an XP start menu, you click all programs and you can see all the programs, you then locate which one you want then move the mouse directly onto it to reach it/it's submenus.

on vista you click all programs and it squashes a selection of the all programs menu into the space, so you can only see a dozen(? perhaps) and if what you want isnt there you have to click scroll then click onto your program once you find it

it is an issue that is more my fault than vistas, but heh I prefer the XP start menu.

Ah right, I get you now. Scroll wheel FTW?