ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why do 172 cups have seat belt tensioners

If they dont have side airbags then why do the seats have them, also why do the rear seat belt tensioners have them??

I stripped my car today and had warning lights (service and airbag) put rear seat belts tentioners back in and the lights went out.

Did a search on here, and a lot of good info came back however Im still confused as to why these cars have them (Its a 2002 early model)

Or is it just a French thing? :approve:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
A tentioner pulls the belt back in an accident. To stop you sliding under the belt.

It has nothing to do with airbags.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Because its all on the same circuit.

If you remove something, it will trigger the warning light.

Read up about these last night in the Haynes Manual. Interesting read. Did not realise they had gas pistons in that trigger when the car makes a sudden halt (i.e crash). Hence why they need replacing. Clever things these Clios. Funnily I have never heard of them in other cars, only modern cars with motorised seatbelt tensioners.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Most cars have seat belt pretensioners. Personally I wouldn't remove them because they could save your life. And on another note if you do work on these disconnect the battery and leave for 10minutes before you start work on the system

Most cars have seat belt pretensioners. Personally I wouldn't remove them because they could save your life. And on another note if you do work on these disconnect the battery and leave for 10minutes before you start work on the system

I know this now after reading the manual (after removing them) lol

Its a track car so no need for them, but agree, you would have to be a idiot to remove them for a normal road car...well learn something new everyday!

DAR

172 Cup toy
I bought my 172 Cup as a partially completed project. It had no back seats in. I can see the front seat looms, and have inserted resistors, however light remains on. I went looking - Very briefly, didn't find any loom.

Can you confirm that the rear seat belts in the 172 Cup had pre-tensioners?

If so are there 2 or 3 on the rear seat?

Read up about these last night in the Haynes Manual. Interesting read. Did not realise they had gas pistons in that trigger when the car makes a sudden halt (i.e crash). Hence why they need replacing. Clever things these Clios. Funnily I have never heard of them in other cars, only modern cars with motorised seatbelt tensioners.

Ermm they're fitted on just about every single car since the 90's