ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Why Can't I get a good insurance deal!

White 182 Rep
I've been looking everywhere to try and insure a 182, best i've been able to get is 5 grand!
With other places not being able to give me a quote.
I have been driving almost 3 years (in august) im 20, with 1 year no claims bonus.

Im going to be driving a 1.2 all my life if this carries on.

Any help?

​Cheers deano!

Clio
Put your Mum and Dad on the policy.
Declare it as a 1.2
Say it is parked in a garage
say it has a tracker and immobiliser
say you'll only do 500 miles in it.

Just basically lie and it comes down.

Cup 172
if its any help i had a clio sport when i was 20 (my first) and it was £1300 fully comp just got insured on my second (172 cup) and im only paying £1000 think its down to your postcode bud

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Find out where the cheapest place is to insure your desired vehicle, then move there.

The alternative - upgrade each year from 1.2 to 1.4, then to 1.6 the following year etc etc. By the time you're 40 you'll be in a 5.0L V8.

You're still in a very high risk age group.

You also said you've been driving 3 years, but have 1 years NCB, I make the assumption you've had a claim at some point, which could be causing your high premiums.

E46 M3, Clio 182
Put your Mum and Dad on the policy.
Declare it as a 1.2
Say it is parked in a garage
say it has a tracker and immobiliser
say you'll only do 500 miles in it.

Just basically lie and it comes down.

This doesn’t always work.

Apparently it cost more for me to declare my 182 in a locked garage doing 5000 miles p/a than it does leaving it on the road and doing 15,000 miles!
Granted having your parents on the policy helps bring it down a fair bit, just need to keep looking bud.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm so old I can insure almost anything now quite reasonably.

I had a 172 when I was 21 and paid £600ish.

I feel sorry for Young drivers these days.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
You've been driving 3 years yet only 1 years no claims.

IMO you've saved money by going on another policy whereas should of started your own from the off.

BG V6, LY 182
Ring Adrian flux. Iv just insured a vee for 1100 at 23. 5 years no claims and 3 points. No other drivers either, more drivers make it more expensive.

Clio 182
Put at least two experienced drivers as named drivers on your policy. I live in a sh*t hole and it lowers mine by nearly £1500 putting my brother and dad on it. It should get you lower than £5000 but dont expect miracles ! my 182 will cost £2000 to insure in September at 20 years old with 1 year NCB.

RB 182 Cup
I'm 19 with 1 years NCB and I'm paying 1,6k. Next year paying £950. Mum and nan are on the insurance as additional driver (helps alot). I'm with elephant.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Mate I'm 27, got the car at 26 and swiftcover did not like it at all, said I had to be 27 to be insured on the car normally but given my awesome car history I got a horrible quote of £800 on the thing, was cheaper to Insure my MK3 Astra GSI and declaring it had a C20LET, Cammed, Greddy Turbo + Int cooler kit, uprated fuel pump, injectors, polished and ported, 4 2 1 mani, the lot, this stupid plastic thing is mental money on insurance, but it just adds to the fact part of this car is you keep dumping money just to drive it.

Did pick up 6 points in between though....

First world problems right here.

172 Ph2
I do love people who recommend you should do this and do that and the price will come down quadrillion % and they'll pay you for the insurance.

Insurance pricing has so many variables into the calculation it'll blow your mind, it comes down to so many factors and none of those factors are consistent across insurers so the best you can do is insure it for what it is and where it is and pay that price, the only things you can do is play around with quotes and add on or remove additional drivers but other than that theres not a lot you can do.

It's about finding an insurer who finds your situation most favourably at that time, as 2 months down the line they may change their pricing tactic and what they were quoting as £500 is now £50,000 because they had a fckton of claims in the area for example.

That is high. I know I'm a lot older (28) but 1 years Ncb on the 172 and a fault accident a year ago and only paying £750

funny thing is if I used all my Ncb from my z3 (10years) I can insure a 911 or Audi s4/rs6 for less than I can using it on the 172.

White 182 Rep
You've been driving 3 years yet only 1 years no claims.

IMO you've saved money by going on another policy whereas should of started your own from the off.

In my first year of driving, i was on my mum and dads insurance as a named driver, it was over 3.5k, its a 1.2 for god sake, not a hypercar!

I've been looking everywhere to try and insure a 182, best i've been able to get is 5 grand!
I have been driving almost 3 years (in august) im 20, with 1 year no claims bonus.

Any help?

​Cheers deano!

Who is that with ? was that price on a comparison site ? I can get a quote for £11,000 on my car if I like, in reality I paid £700 to insure it.

Shop around, you'll be able to get it down. As others have said, get an older driver on there, that usually helps. Also it will probably drop of its own accord when you hit 21.

​Good luck!

Megane 225 F1
Get a quote for the admiral/bell 10 month policy.
​Cheaper than 12 months and you get a years ncb at the end of it

White 182 Rep
guess rochdale is a bad place to live... the fact i live in the 'good' area of rochdale clearly doesn't mean anything.

guess rochdale is a bad place to live... the fact i live in the 'good' area of rochdale clearly doesn't mean anything.
Same with me. Despite my area being quiet and full of old people, out of the way... I've got a BL postcode which is Bury/Bolton shared.

Bolton is awful!

if it helps the most expensive car for us to insure is the Clio .....

​just renewed the S4 cab and the final price was £193.00 , clio is £340

2004 Renault Clio
That can't be right, I'm 21, no claims yet. 6 months with license and i managed to get £1200 quote. And its for blackburn postcode, i tried my old house in cardiff and it was £800.

Last edited:
Get a quote for the admiral/bell 10 month policy.
​Cheaper than 12 months and you get a years ncb at the end of it
I'm pretty sure that the NCB on a 10 month policy only applies to that group on companies. If you do it & go to another insurer they won't count it.

I'm pretty sure that the NCB on a 10 month policy only applies to that group on companies. If you do it & go to another insurer they won't count it.

That's not true what so ever. Maybe one or two might have a problem but I'd say the majority don't.
As long as you've not only been driving for 2 years and 8 months (for example) and claim to have 3 years no claims :banghead:

172, BMW 120 Msport.
Clio 172 fully comp at £360
Bmw 120d m sport fully comp at £312

I'm 26 with 6ncb.

Had Clio 6 years and always gone down.

A Clio 172 isn't worth over 1500 insurance. They ain't that good! Lol

FF Clio 182

Any help?

​Cheers deano!

You been driving 3 years but only have 1 years no claim? What happened the other 2 Years?