ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Who went from a PH2 to a PH1?

Meg 225
Lately i have this 'problem' that whenever i see a nice PH1 on here it makes me get the 'i WANT one!!' feeling. Are there people on here that initially bought a PH2 and once registered to this forum and looking through various PH1 threads the PH1 really grows onto them and eventually bought one?
This thread isn't intended for the common PH1 vs PH2 battle but just to find out if it's worth the hastle to return mine to standard sell it and find a mint PH1! IF i sell my Flamer i'll be looking for either a PH1 Flamer or Sunflower or a black one

Trafic 140dci
I'm with Revels, i don't see the attraction to ph1's, i only took the down grade as it was a shell with a fitted cup racer cage. I'd prefer a ph2 all day long.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Always prefered the ph1 on the whole, but I got a ph2 becuase it came up. Glad I did really as the interior is so much nicer, and I've no intention of stripping it so I have the right variant for me. Something very raw and appealing about a ph1 though

Peugeot 308
Im with revels also.

I had a Ph1 for 2 years and to some it up.... I loved the car.

Now own a RB182 Cup and IMO its a better car, yet does its thing with alot more refinement.

320d
I loved my ph1. Its so good looking from the front. Realistically the interior in the ph2 just looks better, the ph1 has the same seats, same driving position, pretty much the same interior kit (ac instead of climate). The ph1's are a little more raw to drive, being a little bit lighter and having a more responsive throttle (cable rather than FBW).

Overall though I prefer my 182, it just does the day to day stuff slightly better, just that tiny bit more refined and is still as much fun to be thrown around.

Basically keep the ph2. If you didn't already have a car then I'd say go for the ph1 but there is no point in swapping imo.

320d
Im with revels also.

I had a Ph1 for 2 years and to some it up.... I loved the car.

Now own a RB182 Cup and IMO its a better car, yet does its thing with alot more refinement.

+1 wrote that as I wrote mine. Sums my experience up exactly.

172 Cup to Ph1 172 for me.

Prefer the Ph1 personally, can't really put my finger on exactly why, it just feels a bit more 'special'. Both were/are absolute peaches so it's not down to having particular issues with one or the other, but for me the Ph1 is a better looking car and has a nicer interior (compared to a Cup).

Meg 225
i've never driven a PH1 so can't compare one vs the other, the feeling i've is pure for cosmetic reasons at the moment, maybe once i lowered my Flamer it looks way better lol

Definitely prefered my 172 Cup to my current ph-1. The only thing I prefer on the ph-1 is the cable throttle as it just feels a lot more responsive and reacts quicker compared to the DBW throttle. Baring that though the Cup made me a smile a alot more than the ph-1 has.

I don't think it helps that I don't really like my Ph1.

I don't dislike as such. But I don't know. It's a bit meh. This might coincide with my not really caring about cars anymore. I just wanted something cheap.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Id rather a Ph1.. but id have to stick a Ph2 interior in it I think.. Just cant get along with the Ph1 interior

Meg 225
Some usefull comments guys! I don't want to regret the swap IF i decide to go for a PH1, so will test drive a few and then make the decision

ph1 clio
I went from a Ph1 to a Ph2.....

Now back in a Ph1. Prefer the way they drive, that's my opinon ofcourse.

Ellz

Meg 225
Maybe the biggest question is: Can i live without a Flamer?? I really really love the color when it's clean! Pfffff decisions!! Meh

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Iv got a flamer ph1, love it! Had a 172 cup brand new back in 2003, also loved that. Unfair to compare the two due to the 8 year time gap but both great cars.

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
I started with a phase 1, then bought a phase 2 but couldn't bring myself to sell my phase 1 so i now have both :) if i had to sell one though it would be the phase 2....

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Ph1 ftw! interior isnt the pretyest but it looks bloody awesome!!

182 Turbo
I went from ph2 182 to ph1 172 much prefer the 172. But then again I guess anyone would in my circumstance. Standard 182 to ph1 172 Turbo lol, much more fun! :D
c4ef8e9f.jpg

To

c3416e31.jpg

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
I owned a FF 182 with Recaros for a few years. I now own a 172 ph1 as a second car/track toy. I can honestly say the ph1 is a much more fun car to drive, just feels more lively and more engaging to drive.

I dare say the 182 was the more comfortable more refined drive, but thats not why you buy a hot hatch IMO.

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
Ive own a ph1 and now have a ph3 (same as ph2) although both non sports, I really do miss the ph1 and if I bought a sport, id get a ph1.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Put the Ph1 and Ph2 next to each other I'm sure I'd probably pick the Ph2, however there's just something old skool about the Ph1 and no one looks at a black, Y reg, plain looking hatchback and expects that it's going to be as capable as today's hot hatches.

Lots of pluses over a Ph2 with a Ph1 aswell, 15inch wheels, cable throttle, better flowing cat, better airbox, longer gearing. Sadly the cars around that age are getting on a bit now, so if you're looking for a nice example it can be a bit of a false economy buying one since it will need refreshing in a lot of areas.

Aydon182 I would love your black ph1 turbo!!

I've driven a cup, a 182 and my ph1. Unless they were all standard you can't really compare them. Ph2 interior is nicer. I wouldnt sell my ph1 foor a ph2 though!

182 Turbo
Thanks dmallet,

By interior I'm taking it you all mean dash design/layout etc, because the seats are exactly the same in ph1's lol. If not even better because they have the CS colours on the RS seat stitching and the steering wheel is 10x better in ph1's. And gear stick.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I have owned both a 182 and my current ph1 172 end of the day there pretty much the same car to drive of course.

I cant decide which shape I prefer looks wise though.

Thanks dmallet,

By interior I'm taking it you all mean dash design/layout etc, because the seats are exactly the same in ph1's lol. If not even better because they have the CS colours on the RS seat stitching and the steering wheel is 10x better in ph1's. And gear stick.

Yer the blue dash etc! Easily changed but enough to put alot of people off!

As for the seats, I barely sat in mine before I removed them lol.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
PH2 for me. Can't believe you're contemplating selling the flamer. Are you mad? ;)

If you want it looking more 'purposeful' then lower it on decent coilovers with some spacers. I would say that though......

I do like ph1 general shape / look / raw feel but I don't like the old headlights. They look a bit 'mong' to me...

Sunflower Ph1 172
I haven't owned a Ph2, but I'm on my second Ph1.

Personally I think the ph1 just has a prettier face, the Ph2 just looks a little generic to me. I think the ph1 is aging well too, it still looks good (from the front) and has a bit of a retro look (to me).

However, if I could have a ph1 in RB or Trophy Red and a rear bumper that looks like it was actually designed for the car... it'd be perfect.

The interior in the ph2 is better, hands down, but from what I want from a cheap hot-hatch is the driving experience, which the ph1 delivers in the bucket load. If I wanted comfort I'd have have an Audi (which I did for 6 months before buying another Ph1). So it comes down entirely to personal preference.

If I had the cash I'd snap up the black ph1 that just went up for sale on here a couple of days ago, looks fantastic.

Performance wise they are pretty much identical.

182 Turbo
Yer the blue dash etc! Easily changed but enough to put alot of people off!

As for the seats, I barely sat in mine before I removed them lol.

I know what you mean, if finances allowed I would of got rid of the seats a while ago, I am getting a pair of bimarcos in it soon. Anyhow IMO if your that bothered about interior don't buy a clio full stop. Infact don't buy a Renault LOL.

120d M Sport
Perhaps I'm very wrong here, but I really can't see them being that different?

What's all the refinement chat about....both cars use the same running gear? Does the PH2 come with more sound deadening or something, or are the controls a bit smoother?

Never get the interior comments either, personally love the white dials, alloy gearknob and silver fascia trim you get on a PH1 sport. It's not exactly unbearable, barely pay attention to it half the time anyway!

ph1 172
Sorry for being slightly OT, but if you was going to have a full on track only car that would be trailered, stripped, caged and basically just a race car, which one out of the ph1 or ph2 is the better base to start with.........or does it not really matter?