ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Who people use this kit ?

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
Just about to do a cambelt on me 172 and wondered if people would use tis kit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TIMING-CA...:2.0+16V+Sport|Model:Clio&hash=item565b347478

obviously I would have to use O.E Renault for the dephaser as im replacing that at the same time

But if I were to get the Dayco cambelt and water pump supposed to Renault I would save £150 !!!

so the options are :

Renault Dephaser £125 + dayco cambelt kit with w/pump = £225

Original Renault cambelt kit with w/pump and dephaser = £295

whats peoples thoughts ?

Ben

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
well im not buying, my dad has heard me moaning about how much this car is going to cost me and has offered to but the kit for me , so feel bad saying the £300 option is the best

He obviously wants to save money as well

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
I'm sure he'd rather spend an extra £70 on quality parts, rather than spending £225 twice when the cheaper parts fail.

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
What proof do you want? You've asked for peoples advice, we are all saying the same thing, yet you still question it...

You obviously want to buy the cheaper stuff, so just do that.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
What proof do you want? You've asked for peoples advice, we are all saying the same thing, yet you still question it...

This is CS. No one ever listens to the advice they have asked for.

206,172 Cup,focus,X5

well if you turned around and said, " I bought that kit last year and the cambelt snapped" or " the water pump failed " then that would get my attention

but when u are just going on hearsay and have no proof of them failing then I cant really listen to your pointless comment

Someone could pipe up and say ive had that kit fitted for several years now with no problem and again that would be proper advice.

Advice means f**k all if you cant back it up from personal experience !

Ben you piped up saying "buy cheap buy twice " is that from personal experience then ?:rolleyes:

I have never bought patent parts for a cam belt kit, I had OE fitted so I can't say that, there is a reason I bought OE and there Is a Reason everyone in this thread is saying the same thing.

You make your own decision based of the "advice" in this thread

Yes I've bought cheap and bought twice on many occasions, but not with integral parts like cam belts etc.

gates powergrip ONLY
aux kit - genuine ONLY

none of this my mate works for wangli car parts and can get then £0.02 cheaper rubbish

Agreed, in the case of the 172 engines though, people should just go with everything genuine or uprated, never cheap pattern parts.

That would do me for advice tbh.

Also makes sure you are using genuine locking tools as well

Last edited:
  206,172 Cup,focus,X5
I will listen to everyones comments Ben , as I don't know everything about Renault at all, still pretty new to the French s**t TBH :drunk:

But if these cambelts did all go snap then they wouldn't make the cambelts anymore and they would of all been re-called.
But I do know that Gates cambelts are spot on and are proven to having mega power on them and they do a kit for the F4R engine.

From personal experience I know after market idlers and tensioners can be noisey and wear out quick, but no one has mentioned that on here, but like u said it could be coz everyone buys original equipment

Ben

182cup & 172 racecar
well if you turned around and said, " I bought that kit last year and the cambelt snapped" or " the water pump failed " then that would get my attention

but when u are just going on hearsay and have no proof of them failing then I cant really listen to your pointless comment

Someone could pipe up and say ive had that kit fitted for several years now with no problem and again that would be proper advice.

Advice means f**k all if you cant back it up from personal experience !

Ben you piped up saying "buy cheap buy twice " is that from personal experience then ?:rolleyes:

People are trying to help you out here, so just what your attitude as it's not needed.

Many before you have bad experiences with non oe parts, and this can be very expensive to put right.

I'm not going to scroll through thousands of of posts etc, to justify anything. And no we can't back it up with "personal experience" as we haven't done with cheap stuff.

Listen to yourself, and you, are making you, sound a bit of a knob, which I guess you are not, so please don't come across as one.

182ff
if thats from the Renault wolves trader from here, I would take your dads £225 put the rest too.. and snap the bargain up..

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I've had the misfortune of fitting a non genuine/non gates belt kit. NEVER again. Here's my reason why: the belt was ridiculously tight to get on, almost impossible. I had to remove one of the idler rollers to get the belt over the rest of the pulleys, then pull like f**k to get the idler roller bolt in. This doesn't happen with genuine/gates stuff. When you come to set the tension up on the belt it was all over the place, and due to the belt being that tight I swear if I'd blown on the tensioner it would've put too much tension on the belt. It will no doubt stretch over time and knock the timing out, which as I'm sure you will have read is highly critical on the f4r.
Once I'd got it tensioned up it did all line back up again correctly, and yes, I use only genuine Renault locking tools too. Is it still timed up correctly? Can't say. Has the belt stretched? Can't say. If I'd known it was non gen parts that were supplied, would I have taken the job on? Categorically NO.

The question is, do you want to risk it and fit the cheaper kit? Hope that helps to shed some light on the question your asking.

Go on CS ask advice - advice gets given - ignore advice and carry on regardless lol.

This place aquires more and more retards every day.

Gates or genuine on the belts or don't bother imo. Get kwik fit to fit them.

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
Go on CS ask advice - advice gets given - ignore advice and carry on regardless lol.

This place aquires more and more retards every day.

Gates or genuine on the belts or don't bother imo. Get kwik fit to fit them.

why am i ingnoring advise. I just wanted real life expereince with the other alternitives !

Not that hard to understand u tard. Ffs !

172, Tiguan
If you can't manage to post without calling people names I'll just remove your access to the forum. That goes for everyone.

Saw thread title.... Read op... Read replies...

Went exactly as expected...

OP; instead of getting arsey just listen, countless people now have told you to buy genuine, even had someone give a real life experience and still you don't listen and bite at anyone posting...

Either buy genuine and get it done properly or buy the cheaper one you are so insistent on then whinge later when it bites you on the arse when it leads to your engine destroying itself

Simple

If you won't take the advice then don't ask for it.

In my experience if you buy cheap it doesn't last long when it comes to cars, replaced ball joints twice in the same month on my old 1.2 because the garage fitted cheap shite which must have been made of monkey metal... Ever since I have done 90% of the work myself and always bought Genuine or uprated

Also not sure if you meant: Who has used this kit? Or Would anyone use this kit?

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Not many people are posting 'real world' experience of non-OE cambelt kit usage for a reason.

No one uses them. That should give you a clue.....

But feel free to be a 'trend setter' OP and report back in with progress.