ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which 172?

2000 1.4
Nearly got enough money for a 172, but now I'm struggling to work out which one to go for!

Don't think I want a PH1 so thats out of the question.

Was looking at a few cups but are they worth the extra money? also, I don't like the cloth seats in them, is there much difference between the non cup and the cup?

anyone else been in this situation?

cheers!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
FF with cup packs? so a cup packed 172 with cup packs.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just buy either, but if i was buying again i'd buy a cup.

CLIO 172 EXCLUSIVE
Phs 1 all the way, look great, drive great and cheap as chips at the moment. Find a good one and you wont go far wrong.

Suzuki SV650
Phase 2 FF 172 is the slowest, I would plump for a cup or a Phase 1 172 if I were to buy a new one.

Cup'd 182? No?

B

Bucko

I could never bring myself to buy a Cup, solely because of the disgusting seats.

172 CUP
Whats disgusting about the seats? I personally quite like them! and if looked after, they'll keep better than leather.

I'd go for a cup mate, obviously, because i did! lol. Better risiduals as well.

Whatever 1*2 you get, i'm sure you'll love it!

Cups are generally cheaper than non-Cup Ph2 172s. thing to do is to read up on the differences (the Cup's just a lightened Ph2 172; does without ABS/TC and some of the cabin comforts - there'll be a list of the differences somewhere), then (if that doesn't decide it) drive a few of each to see what you think. personally, wouldn't discount the Ph1, as i'd have one over a Ph2 172

ClioSport 172
I've got a ph2 non cup, love it very very much! But then I plumped for the extras over a incy bit of speed. The seats are lovely, so is the climate control, its just so nice to drive minus of speed. If you want to have that little edge on speed go with the cup, but if you want the luxuries get the non cup

Or buy the cup & change the seats!

2000 1.4
thanks for all the response guys, really don't want to make a mistake, eg, getting just a 172 then wanting the cup.

Think I will go for the cup and just punt those minging seats, get a nice pair of buckets, or the half leather ones.

what sort of comforts would I be missing out on? anyone with a cup wish they had them?

172 Cup
Someone correct me if I'm wrong because I've wondered it for a while, but all standard 172's come with climate control and the other centre console shebang aight?

Where as the 172 Cups definately don't unless you get a 172 Cup CC (like mine :)) but I gather there was only ~100 made?

MCS R56
The Cup fun far outweighs any of the comforts you get in the regular 172. You'll not miss them when you are punting the Cup along a nice, sunny, country road, knowing that it's only you and the car, with nothing interrupting the absolute raw feel of a proper hot hatch!

No ABS, no traction control, no aircon - just proper, light-weight driving fun. The other bonuses - you get the best wheels and colour! (mondial blue)

Burgandy 174 sport t
The normal 172 is soooooo slow compared to a cup, I always got beat when I had mine........ no ..... wait..... there was always bugger all in it, won some lost some start in front finish infront!!!

Early mk2 172's never had the pishy tc btw!

If you really want a lesser spec stereo, thinner glass, pish seats etc go for a cup!

No doubt about it the colour of the Mondial is nice but black and flame red are just as nice when clean imo