ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Where do I stand? Damaged calliper.

Ly 200 & V6
my 200 returned from the garage today like this after having new front pads, I only noticed it when I arrived home.

Where do I stand with the garage and what should I expect them to do about it? I will be going back there first thing tomorrow.

I understand they may be difficult to remove but they didn't have the decency to show or explain to me on arrival.

ba7b50a32ce7aba9f4d95e958dca1d61_zpsb47f08c4.jpg

857249d613d75e9c9ab06504102a02a0_zps179173d4.jpg

Thanks.

Clio 172 phase 1
The fact uve driven away is now an issue as they can say we didn't do that..... But seems a lot of places have probs with these pins however I'd be absoloutly tamping get it back and kick right off !!!

Clio 172
That's a mess, they should have at the very least told you about it and discussed what happens next. I'd now be wanting a full caliper refurbish or a new caliper, good luck with it, and remember to use Renault UK as a bit of leverage against the dealership.

Ly 200 & V6
I can understand they might have trouble removing them but to not even mention it or apologise has made me extremely unhappy!

Out of interest roughly where in Hampshire is the dealer located? Just for info really. Also I would be kicking off, it looks like the mechanic that did that was both pi**ed and blind! Good luck.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Thats proper butchered! You will always get some slight damage but thats bad. If i mark a caliper i touch it in with my red brembo tounch up stick.

It's pretty poor that and they should have spoken to you. I have to admit though I'm about to do the same with mine as the blasted pins won't come out of one calliper. I'm about to order the modified pins off the guy from clio197.net who does some with an R clip that won't seize in. Worth £41 in my opinion.

Volvo S60 T5
Knack to doing them when siezed in , thats a mess could of at least got some paint on it.
If they are totally siezed in I take the caliper off and remove pin on bench.

RS2004
Take the wheel off and take a look at the other side... This side is easy as they can (normally...) see what they're doing, the other side may be worse...

Ly 200 & V6
Will have a look at the other side before I call them tomorrow. It's a complete mess and I hope they resolve the problem without a fuss.

Ly 200 & V6
RESULT!

The manager came to have a look at the car personally this evening after being told buy the guys at the garage it was "just a scratch", he took one look at it and was disgusted with damage. I now got the choice to either replace or have the calliper refurbed.

Where is the best place to buy callipers from?

Cheers

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
RESULT!

The manager came to have a look at the car personally this evening after being told buy the guys at the garage it was "just a scratch", he took one look at it and was disgusted with damage. I now got the choice to either replace or have the calliper refurbed.

Cheers

That's great news! If the caliper is standard, I'd be going down the route of a replacement - and them fitting it properly. I wouldn't be faffing about getting it refurbed.

D.

steve32c

ClioSport Club Member
  200T
If this is a renault dealership where you had the work done sue the buggers kick up a stink too many so called renault mechanics are getting away with shoddy unprofessional work and Renault UK seem to have their he's stuck in the sand or try and fob you off. The minimum you want is a new replacement calliper

S4 Avant
He's been offered a replacement calliper, what would be the point in suing them?

The garage shouldn't be replacing the car or compensating him for whiplash ffs!

Ly 200 & V6
I only want them to replace the part that is damaged and that is what they are doing.

As long as my car is fixed I'm not interested in the hassle of suing.

I suppose a lot of customers wouldn't notice or worry so some mechanics don't concern themselves about superficial damage if it rarely comes back as a complaint.

I was in a Ford workshop last week watching a chap working, and he lifted a Focus headlight out, laid it lense down on the top of the bumper whilst wiggling around with the looms vigorously to disconnect them. Clearly didn't care about marking either.

Clio 3 extreme
RESULT!

Cheers

Just a scratch?! How blind was the mechanic? When I worked on a Megan sport with brembos, I remember them being a pain, but that takes it to a whole new level! It looks like the used a punch that was either too big, or they just couldn't hit it for sh*t. Personally if the offered to replace it, I would go for a new unit. Get your money's worth out of them :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Shocking work there. New caliper, sorted. Happy days.

Clio Cup
Knack to doing them when siezed in , thats a mess could of at least got some paint on it.
If they are totally siezed in I take the caliper off and remove pin on bench.

Ah but then he would have had to bleed the brakes , and looking at that mess that would have caused all kinds of Difficulties of epic proportions

You are right though , Imprezas are of the same design and can take a certain amount of patience that this bloke clearly didnt have