ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What's this on my phone??

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My battery has died once today and it's nearly gone again now.
I've noticed some arrow thing in the top right, is that something turned on that's causing battery drain??

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421867307.301835.jpg

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Turn off.

It's one of the main battery drainers.

Mine only ever goes on if I need the SatNav or fancy a bit of Tinder.

It's main use is for when you post on Facebook etc and it will then say;
Posted 10 minutes ago near London

Bluetooth also drains battery pretty quick. That's easy to turn on and off quickly. Just slide up from the bottom of the screen and there's a shortcut there. I wouldn't leave it on 24/7.

Also, make sure your screen brightness isn't up full whack. Shouldn't have to be even half tbh!

One last thing.

Go to;

Settings > General > Background App Refresh

Make sure that's turned off - it's something that doesn't need to be on but for some reason Apple love having it on by default. That's a proper battery killer.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Now Bluetooth on my phone doesn't affect power at all?

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I believe in iOS8 (I haven't upgraded yet) that you can see exactly what resources are using how much of the battery. Shouldn't it tell you in there? Bluetooth would reduce battery life as it's very similar to wifi in the way it's always searching for a connection & sending/receiving data or packets.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Was going to mention ref update of apps. I was noticing my internet usage was high, was because the apps were getting updated without me saying ok. Was updating when i wasnt in wifi, hence my internet use goi

I guess anythng thats on will drain the power

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
On that note, email fetching also uses battery @Daniel - the fact you don't even read your emails renders it useless to have that function on in the first place!

Settings >Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
+1

i cant have more than 2 rows of apps on each screen! drives me mental having a background picture you ant see for shitty app logos!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I was using a fair bit of internet usage and wondered why. I looked in my app settings and they would update automatically, turned everything off and it was spot on

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
On that note, email fetching also uses battery @Daniel - the fact you don't even read your emails renders it useless to have that function on in the first place!

Settings >Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data
I do sometimes. My work emails go to my phone so when I'm out I read them, when I'm at my desk I read them on the pooter.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My battery has died once today and it's nearly gone again now.
I've noticed some arrow thing in the top right, is that something turned on that's causing battery drain??

View attachment 120846
Also, what's the padlock/circle thing in the top right? Not the alarm clock. I can figure that bit out.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
you have portrait lock on.

scroll up from the bottom of the screen and click the padlock and it will knock it off

An orange one
Do apps like strava and snapchat need background all refresh? Also will strava not work right with location services off?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I believe in iOS8 (I haven't upgraded yet) that you can see exactly what resources are using how much of the battery. Shouldn't it tell you in there? Bluetooth would reduce battery life as it's very similar to wifi in the way it's always searching for a connection & sending/receiving data or packets.

Bluetooth virtually consumes nothing (we're talking in the microamps range) when not in a paired state, once you're paired the current increases to the milliamp range and then spikes during transmission.

I know this because I work on a product that includes bluetooth and I spent far too much time optimising power saving in both hardware and software to eek out every microamp.

Its also pointless from the point of view that other things on the phone (CPU/backlight) consume orders of magnitude more power than WiFi or Bluetooth, so you're basically kidding yourself if you think it makes any real word appreciable difference.

GPS is a a fucker though, our product has a GPS option and I have to send that into a deep sleep and operate it on a duty cycle because current consumption is high.

We also have a GPRS modem on board as well, and that has low power consumption when in idle (but on the network), nowhere near as low as bluetooth, but much lower than GPS.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
^This.

Also, kill individual apps in the Location Services list rather than just blanket everything, or your navigation apps won't work. You can see which app is the culprit, usually facebook.

Oh and go into the system services submenu and flick off location based iAds

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I really enjoy Daniel's tech threads. Some of those home screens are horrendous!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Bluetooth virtually consumes nothing (we're talking in the microamps range) when not in a paired state, once you're paired the current increases to the milliamp range and then spikes during transmission.

I know this because I work on a product that includes bluetooth and I spent far too much time optimising power saving in both hardware and software to eek out every microamp.

Its also pointless from the point of view that other things on the phone (CPU/backlight) consume orders of magnitude more power than WiFi or Bluetooth, so you're basically kidding yourself if you think it makes any real word appreciable difference.

GPS is a a fucker though, our product has a GPS option and I have to send that into a deep sleep and operate it on a duty cycle because current consumption is high.

We also have a GPRS modem on board as well, and that has low power consumption when in idle (but on the network), nowhere near as low as bluetooth, but much lower than GPS.

Location services doesn't always mean GPS, i know you know this but blanketly turning stuff off to save battery does not always make for a good experience