ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Whats a dephaser ?

Another thread from me

Lol :D

I've heard people on here mention dephasers.

What are they ?

And would my car have one ?

BMW M135i
Yes its got one, instead of a normal pulley on the inlet camshaft you have a dephaser which allows the timing of the cam to be advanced/retarded depending on operating conditions. When the ecu closes a solenoid valve in the head it allows oil to flow into the dephased which iirc advances the timing 16degrees on the 172. This gives the engine the VVT.

Its used by lots of manufacturers now and the way its used in the 172 is about the most basic way to use it. It can be used to variably advanced/r****d the cam etc if a system is setup for it, some cars have dephasers on both the inlet and exhaust cams to give you more flexiblility again.

Yes its got one, instead of a normal pulley on the inlet camshaft you have a dephaser which allows the timing of the cam to be advanced/retarded depending on operating conditions. When the ecu closes a solenoid valve in the head it allows oil to flow into the dephased which iirc advances the timing 16degrees on the 172. This gives the engine the VVT.

Its used by lots of manufacturers now and the way its used in the 172 is about the most basic way to use it. It can be used to variably advanced/r****d the cam etc if a system is setup for it, some cars have dephasers on both the inlet and exhaust cams to give you more flexiblility again.

Ah right ok

Cheers bud, i did wonder.

Is that where the 5k kick comes from ?

if not when does the vvti kick in ?

LY 182
no its just there to meet emisions laws and stop you killing your engine, its dephased at idle comes on phase at about 1k rpm iirc and is dephased again and 6k something to drop the power off so you dont kill the engine

the 5k kick is down to peak volumetric effeciency

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
I didn't think it was elctroncialy controlled, i thought it worked on oil prssure. `So when oil pressure reaches a certain amount valves open etc. correct me if im wrong.

BMW M135i
I didn't think it was elctroncialy controlled, i thought it worked on oil prssure. `So when oil pressure reaches a certain amount valves open etc. correct me if im wrong.

Nope, it does work off oil pressure but the ECU opens a solenoid valve in the head to allow oil to flow into the dephaser to alter the cam timing. The oil pressure doesn't really matter too much.

The solenoid is here behind the oil filler:

DSC00142.JPG

Nope, it does work off oil pressure but the ECU opens a solenoid valve in the head to allow oil to flow into the dephaser to alter the cam timing. The oil pressure doesn't really matter too much.

The solenoid is here behind the oil filler:

DSC00142.JPG

An what the pipe that comes in for cambelt cover end going into where the plenum connects to ?

Next to the electrical multiplug beside the solenoid

LY 182
your firing questions out quicker than we can answer lol. there arent any advantages really, your best keeping it there untill it starts clicking then just remove it to remove a bit of dead weight

with it physically not plugged in, unless blocked it'll just be an air leak and idle speed will be high.

Clio RS 172 Phase 1
Hello,

Have some tech questions about the dephaser & solenoid.

When the engine is running at idle speed, approximately 600 rpm, the dephaser solenoid should be activated and the inlet camshaft shifted 16 degrees by the dephaser. If you disconnect the electric connector from the dephaser solenoid can you measure the voltage on this connector? Is this 12 Volts? Or will the ECU cut-off the depaser solenoid voltage because of an open/break circuit (because of the disconnected connecter there is an open circuit)?
The resistance of the solenoid coil is 8,5 Ohms (calculated; with 12 Volts supply it's got about 1,4 Ampere current). I'm I right to say that the solenoid coil is ok?

The dephaser itself is quiet and make no strange noise. Engine is running fine but I miss the 4500 rpm kik! Is my dephaser solenoid always active or is it not active at all (below 1000 rpm & +4500 rpm)?
Is it possible for the dealer to do an easy read out with the computer and see if the solenoid voltage is activated?
Needs the ECU to be reset if the solenoid connector is disconnected when the signal was active?

Greetz, Dutch Clio RS172

It's a switched earth. It will not be active at idle. You will get 12v at the solenoid with the ignition/engine on. It's not unheard of for the solenoid to stick and not allow the dephaser to advance. You can test if by putting the (white iirc) wire that goes back to the ecu to ground and it should click.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Hello,

Have some tech questions about the dephaser & solenoid.

When the engine is running at idle speed, approximately 600 rpm, the dephaser solenoid should be activated and the inlet camshaft shifted 16 degrees by the dephaser. If you disconnect the electric connector from the dephaser solenoid can you measure the voltage on this connector? Is this 12 Volts? Or will the ECU cut-off the depaser solenoid voltage because of an open/break circuit (because of the disconnected connecter there is an open circuit)?
The resistance of the solenoid coil is 8,5 Ohms (calculated; with 12 Volts supply it's got about 1,4 Ampere current). I'm I right to say that the solenoid coil is ok?

The dephaser itself is quiet and make no strange noise. Engine is running fine but I miss the 4500 rpm kik! Is my dephaser solenoid always active or is it not active at all (below 1000 rpm & +4500 rpm)?
Is it possible for the dealer to do an easy read out with the computer and see if the solenoid voltage is activated?
Needs the ECU to be reset if the solenoid connector is disconnected when the signal was active?

Greetz, Dutch Clio RS172

dephaser is active above 1600rpm roughly. nothing at all to do with the 4/5k kick, which is entirely down to mapping

Clio RS 172 Phase 1
Thank you both for the information!
I guess I misunderstood the 4/5K kick. Thought it was caused by shifting the inlet cam. My RS dont kick anymore since the aux. & cam belt is done (full job, but not the dephaser).
Just to check the dephaser solenoid, should it be activated at around 1600 rpm when throtlle with the gas up to 1600 rpm or 2000 rpm? (in neutral) Or do you need to drive/gear the car? If not it's possible to hear/feel the solenoid clicking?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
no its just there to meet emisions laws and stop you killing your engine, its dephased at idle comes on phase at about 1k rpm iirc and is dephased again and 6k something to drop the power off so you dont kill the engine

the 5k kick is down to peak volumetric effeciency

with this in mind, if its wired to be in phase all the time, will there be increased performance below 1600rmp and above 6000rpm? what are the real risks 6000+?

Mk2 Ph2 172
Thank you both for the information!
I guess I misunderstood the 4/5K kick. Thought it was caused by shifting the inlet cam. My RS dont kick anymore since the aux. & cam belt is done (full job, but not the dephaser).
Just to check the dephaser solenoid, should it be activated at around 1600 rpm when throtlle with the gas up to 1600 rpm or 2000 rpm? (in neutral) Or do you need to drive/gear the car? If not it's possible to hear/feel the solenoid clicking?

Your timing is prob out slightly !!!!