ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What would you do??

172FF iceburg silver
Hello all, just wondering what you would do in my situation.

I am (hopefully) selling my LCR soon so that i can free up some cash and also buy an RS clio. Thing is im really undecided what to do with my £5500-6K budget. Do I:

a) Blow the lot on a mint 182 :cool:

b) Spend £4K ish on a 172 and the rest on mods? ;)

Provided i did option b) what would you spend £1k on?

So many thought going through my head i thought i better get some help :D

182 FF
In this market get a 182, shop carefully and you'll have 500 quid minimum to play with.

Its a buyers market, just be prepared to kick people in the nuts, no harm trying

Monaco RS Clio 172
are trophy any where near 6k yet? wouldn't surprise me

if they are, go for that option

well then i would go properly slagged (no interior, coilies, buckets, cage etc)

My missus wouldnt, hence i have a 197

172FF iceburg silver
In this market get a 182, shop carefully and you'll have 500 quid minimum to play with.

Its a buyers market, just be prepared to kick people in the nuts, no harm trying

I could try .... is the 182 worth the extra 1K on average? i dont see a huge difference in them other than 10bhp, cruise control and twin pipes.

I understand they are supposed to handle better than a standard 172 but with the right collies (say £500 weitec's) would the 172 handle better?

172FF iceburg silver
keep your cupra, its faster :)

Would have loved to but those bills keep coming and i need some cash to chuck at them. A clio is roughly half the cost of maintaining, servicing, fueling the cupra (I have a VERY heavy right foot lol)

£500 Weitecs are not the 'right' coilovers. A grand of Bilsteins is getting towards being right with the right geo and some stiffer rear springs.

Personaly I'd buy a good condition Mk2 shell, pref high mileage and rebuild it as new with choice mods. My 172 Cup will be getting my fresh built essentialy 0KM spec engine and box dropped in it shortly along with the prototype S2000 manifold and a few other bits. I've also get a set of Bilstein Coilover to go on.

That little lot should do a sub 58 second lap around Brands and crack 200bhp on the meanest of rollers with ease - its cost me a grand less than a good standard 182!

Cheers
M

172FF iceburg silver
Looks like a good choice ... i was really thinking more of the facelift 172's i just love the front lights and bonnet ridge (im sad, i know)

172FF iceburg silver
When i said "right" collies i meant a little better than standard :)

Id love to pretty much build myself a 172 but sadly i dont have the time or money to dedicate to it. Maybe when i have my own driveway i could look into a hardcore 172 but for now my budget/girlfriend wont allow it :nono:

(lets be honest ... its all the girlfriend!)

BTW thanks for the quick responses! i knew this was a good forum!

Last edited:
  182 FF
Look at these cars and think money and value.

The 182 will have a better residual value, if its long term get a 182 and loose less cash in the future when you sell it.

You NEVER get money back on mods, i know a car is about the love, but ain't nothin worse than seein yer cash disapear.

J

J182sport

i was in the same position as you 2 weeks ago i had money a good buget but wanted to keep some for mods i was thinking 172 + 2k to spend of 182 and 1k! i just looked around for a good low milage one then spend money on it to make it what i wanted,i was lucky found a really nice very low milage 182 ff and it already had over 1k of mods done and all fresh so it might be an idea to look out for a mild mod'd one it will save you ££ in the long run that goes for 172 aswell!

good luck im sure you won't find it hard to get a nice one with your buget..

When i said "right" collies i meant a little better than standard :)

As above mate. You'll need to spend a lot more than 500 notes to better the standard suspension if you intend to use it mainly on the road.

Cheap coilovers with way too stiff springs can work quite well on smooth tracks but ruin the car on B-Roads and rough A-Roads as they lack the required compliance to maintain good tyre contact patch and contact patch load during high frequency suspension movement. Bump steering into a hedge is most definately 'FTL' ;)

Cheers
M

172FF iceburg silver
I stand corrected... i got ALOT more searching to do till i can understand what the best mods to get would be. Looks like decent coillies would pretty much eat my mod budget ..... makes the 182 look more attractive.

That £4K one mentioned looked good (but almost too cheap) ill have to keep my eyes open if drop close to that.

Thinking you guys are right about buying a previously modded one, think id save myself loads in the long run. Would that budget buy a throttle bodied clio?? heh heh :clown:

172cup
Privately you should be able to get a Trophy for 5-6k, but you will definately get a good 182 with cup pack for 5k private or trade.

172FF iceburg silver
Id love a trophy i just figured they were way out my budget. Guess im looking in the wrong places!

Other than Autotrader and Pistonheads what sites do you guys check for good value RS clios?