ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What paint should I use to respray 182 grills?

RB Clio 182
satin black...

CAM00721_zpsef57106b.jpg

CAM00726_zps97870a59.jpg

CAM00760_zpsee0c9357.jpg

Clio 182
What did you use for that satin black pal? I was thinking gloss black but satin looks really nice too!

RB Clio 182
What did you use for that satin black pal? I was thinking gloss black but satin looks really nice too!

Satin black spray paint mate lol, no seriously i cleaned the grille and de greased it, dried it, masked the renault stickers up to keep the oem look, primered it with plastic primer then a few coats of satin black, leave to dry then remove masking tape job done.

Dont add laquer if you want it satin or it will have a gloss finish, i chose satin as it looks oem, like new black plastic tbh.

RB Clio 182
And how many cans did you use?

You should only need one primer and one satin for this mate and tbh and there should be enough left over to do your back bumper insert and front fog surrounds too, there was for me aslong as they are 300ml cans.

I didnt bother with the lower grille, too many holes to get a good finish lol, so i just use a plastic restorer on that.

Clio 182
So you do one coat of primer? Then do a few coats of the satin black? Do you have to wait for each coat to dry before putting on the next one? (Sorry, never done this before! Lol)

RB Clio 182
So you do one coat of primer? Then do a few coats of the satin black? Do you have to wait for each coat to dry before putting on the next one? (Sorry, never done this before! Lol)

Do about 3 very thin coats of primer until its fully covered leaving around 10 -15 mins in between coats, i use a hair dryer to speed the process up abit :)

Then about 3 - 4 coats of satin black, do the 1st coat very thin, when you are spraying dont get too close and move swiftly accross, dont hold it in one position at all or it will run, you need to keep it moving at all times in quick little blasts.

Again leave about 15 mins in between each coat or again you can speed it up using a hair dryer, if you do, dont hold it in one place for too long as the paint might blister.

Leave overnight then re fit, job done.

Im no painter but ive done quite alot in the past and this technique works well for me, just take your time and dont rush :)

RB Clio 182
How do the inserts come out of the back? Just a bit of a yank? You need to sand them down first?

Are the fog surrounds a pain in the arse?

The fog surrounds just pull out, if you wrap a rag around a flathead screwdriver and slip it in the gap in the centre next to the bulb ull be able to unclip it, when you can get your finger behind grab it and pull the rest of the clips out.

Yes i sanded the surrounds smooth 1st, only takes about 15 mins tbh as there only small and flat.

iLikeDuplo

ClioSport Club Member
  Willi/182Cup/265Cup
The fog surrounds just pull out, if you wrap a rag around a flathead screwdriver and slip it in the gap in the centre next to the bulb ull be able to unclip it, when you can get your finger behind grab it and pull the rest of the clips out.

Yes i sanded the surrounds smooth 1st, only takes about 15 mins tbh as there only small and flat.

Class, cheers. Same for the rear bumper inserts?

RB Clio 182
Class, cheers. Same for the rear bumper inserts?

Yes you can do mate as i did, although i marked the insert as its a really tight fi, so i had to sand it back smooth, you are best off taking the rear bumper off if you are bothered about marking anything mate, its easily pushed out from the inside then, the bumpers really easy to take off anyway.

Sorry for the derail. My grills look sort of blue-ish. Is that standard? Or has it been sprayed? Or just faded?
View attachment 96147

Thats standard mate, thats how they usually look, get them sprayed satin black, its one of my favourite things i have done to the car lookwise.

Clio 182
Will be giving this a go today! Only issue is, I don't have anywhere to do it that is indoors, can I do it outside?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Yes you can. The sun is out today so it would e best if you did it in sunlight (making sure overspray doesn't go on anyone else's cars!) but you can always bring it in after each coat and use the hair dryer to speed up the process. Just be wary that when your painting outside flies and dust are around and they always seems to be attracted to fresh wet paint!

Clio 182
Yes you can. The sun is out today so it would e best if you did it in sunlight (making sure overspray doesn't go on anyone else's cars!) but you can always bring it in after each coat and use the hair dryer to speed up the process. Just be wary that when your painting outside flies and dust are around and they always seems to be attracted to fresh wet paint!

Doesn't matter now lol can't even get the fecking thing off the car AND it looks like someone else has tried to get it off and snapped it which I completely missed when buying the car. So pissed off.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
As arctic said it just pulls off once you've taken the 2 retaining clips. It can so sometimes feel tough but its only clipped in, with the washer pipes connected behind it, which just pops off. What's broken on it?

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Thats good to know because ive been thinking about doing mine for ages as they are really blue but I didnt want to spend ages doing them to then go on a motorway journey and find that they look worse than before! Im going to do fogs and rear bumper insert as well in that case!