ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What have I done wrong - With pics.

Soooo... Putting my 182 back to standard to sell. Changing coilovers for standard shocks and springs :)

Rears went off and on fine. No trouble there.

However, front coilovers have come off fine, but I'm just bolting the front strut assembly back up, and for some reason the bolts holes for the hub aren't even remotely close to lining up with the bolt holes on the shock absorber.

Shock2.jpg

As you can see here the front shock is sitting a good two inches below the required height.

I re-assembled in what I believe to be the correct order: Spring - Metal cover for spring - bearing - bottom rubber donut thing - top hat - 17mm retaining bolt - through the bodywork - then the top mount.

Shock1.jpg

Anyone know where I've gone wrong? Bear in mind the shock is currently just hanging by the top mount so is suspended and free to move in all direction apart from up and down (which is sort of where my problem lies)...

Cheers
Sam

Audi A5
you just need to show it who's boss ;)

seriously though it all look's to be going ok, all you need to do is push the hub down and toward's the strut and it should line up ok. they can be a little bit of a struggle.

Ph1 172
You do need to force the hub downwards to locate it in the strut as the ARB can force the assembly upwards. Push on the top of the disk whilst pushing inwards. That might get rid of some of the current misalignment, but the pics do show a far amount

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
You've done nothing wrong the struts are at full stretch. Use a bar to lever the hub down or pull the stru towards you whilst pushing the hub towards the strut, they sometimes meet up.

I had the same problem, I only had one side jacked up at a time, get both fronts off the ground and for me the hub met the strut much more, then wrestle it into place, screwdriver helps for a quick lining up then bolt which ever hole is left.

Dan.AS

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 & Mk2 GTE 16v
I had the same issue mate when I changed my springs over. Passenger side basically fell into place, but the drivers side would not go back in no matter what I tried. But after a lot of wiggling, some choice swear words and throwing of tools it eventually did as it's told. Just be patient mate and as said above show it who's boss.

you just need to show it who's boss ;)

seriously though it all look's to be going ok, all you need to do is push the hub down and toward's the strut and it should line up ok. they can be a little bit of a struggle.

FLOL!

Thanks for the advice. I have taken the disc off of the jack supporting it and given it a fair bit of stick, but then again my car is particularly stubborn when it comes to being taken apart and put back together.

I didn't want to hurl loads of abuse at it due to the horror stories of "popping out the driveshaft" etc...

Maybe I'll just attack it in the morning!

Whoa, loads of replies. Cheers everyone, gotta love this place sometimes.

Both wheels are in the air and the entire front is up on axle stands.

Ant/Jalopy - Thanks for the tips - More swearing and bending required
Rob - Spring compressors used to reassemble strut but removed prior to fitting. Don't tell me I need them on to fit to the hub. I was under the impression they were non essential as well!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
But if you leave the compressors on, you can squash the strut up further and easier. Then just remove once you've bolted it in.

I know it's not ideal, but if he's struggling?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
It will take 1000000000000 x longer using compressors, now he is armed with the mighty CS advice it will take him two minutes.

^ I'll just go Bear Grylls on it tomorrow morning. Too dark and bloody freezing to be sat out there now, leaving it on stands til tomorrow.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I've been sat in all Night bored off my tits, should've brought it to the unit and saved me from watching Chelsea lol

It will take 1000000000000 x longer using compressors, now he is armed with the mighty CS advice* it will take him two minutes.

*Awaits tomorrows thread, "I took CS's advice and now my driveway is covered in half a drive shaft and half a litre of gearbox oil".

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Be careful of that, GB oil is a right pain in the arse.

Passenger side, just make sure you don't end up pulling it out. If you do, ram it back in, quick.

Ant, we had the same conversation over text. I've been sitting here bored all night. Resulted in drinking 6 san migel and ordering a pizza.

I've been sat in all Night bored off my tits, should've brought it to the unit and saved me from watching Chelsea lol

Cheers! Rob offered his spring compressing related services as well tonight. I should have put the word out earlier lol, could have saved myself the ballache!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Ahh. I guess my spidey senses are still working alright then as I fell asleep about 9pm and woke up at about midnight wondering WTF was on TV haha :eek:

Told it like a boss (over a prolonged 2 hour period)!

It tried to fight back but it was in vain, I am now officially rocking the monster truck stance once more.

Thanks CSer's :)

Renault Clio 182
Hi there gonna change my shocks and springs on the front of my 182 and just wondered if the spring compressors helped in the end .as I've already popped out the driveshaft when doing passenger side suspension arm ballpoint a few months ago gearbox oil everywhere oil seal bent, owner of the house face priceless . Or did u get some one else to sort it cheers