ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CS Gold What have I done wrong?

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
LOL. I started pricing up new shock for mine and the actual shocks were the least of it :ROFLMAO:
I wouldn't mind if I'd been told about all this s**t. When I bought the shocks and springs there was a helpful bit saying you should probably order new top mounts as they are likely to have worn out, so I ordered a pair. What it didn't say was that your dust cover/bump stops are also going to have fallen to pieces as well so order a pair of those as well. Or that the brand new top mounts don't come with the spacer in the middle, or even the f**king nut to attach it to the shock. Which would be fine if one of the old shocks wasn't refusing to come apart. Currently stood in the kitchen glaring at it through the window while half a can of penetrating spray slowly seeps into it. Cunting thing.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Im still not exactly clear what I need to be honest... I'll probably get coilovers and then figure out what other parts I need when the cars in a million bits.
Make sure you've got plenty of free time and money. I started this on Wednesday morning and so far I've changed the rears, assembled one complete front shock, been to Halfords 5 times, and spent about Ā£200 on parts and tools. Oh, and I changed the oil.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Don't tell him I use Ryobi, he'll have a fit šŸ¤«
200.gif

Psssst.....I use Ryobi too šŸ˜‡

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Lol
The amount of times I had my shocks apart from the hubs and I never once used a torque wrench.
Just Wang them up tight.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
There's a massive torque guide in the guides section mate
Yeah I just read through that, from what I can see it's supposed to be 105Nm. Can't check if it's tight enough without spinning everything around and knocking the spring off though. Should I put the car on the ground first? I did it up as tight as I could when it was off the car, but just want to double check before I go for a drive lol

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Suspension refresh is on the cards for me soon, I've got shocks, springs and top mounts. Any links to the nuts and spacers you had to buy extra?
Been putting off buying the bump stops as they seem so expensive for what they are, not like I've got much choice though.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I just read through that, from what I can see it's supposed to be 105Nm. Can't check if it's tight enough without spinning everything around and knocking the spring off though. Should I put the car on the ground first? I did it up as tight as I could when it was off the car, but just want to double check before I go for a drive lol
Tighten it on the ground. And it's just tight, dont go for a torque value on it

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Tighten it on the ground. And it's just tight, dont go for a torque value on it
Gave it one dugga from the rattle gun and called it a day. The top mount I just did hand tight. Just out for a test drive and so far there aren't any funny noises and the car feels less crashy over bumps so I'm guessing everything is as tight as it needs to be. I'm guessing the springs will settle a little bit as it seems a touch high at the moment, especially at the back. They're Grams springs on 172 cup dampers for reference. Ended up replacing the rear spring seats as well with some powerflex ones as they weren't in the best condition, they weren't falling apart but seeing as everything was apart I thought I might as well.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

105! That seems high for a fine threaded nut like that šŸ˜…

Where was that figure from?

It's only to hold the top mount on really, for when you take the strut off. The weight of the car holds everything tight.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
105! That seems high for a fine threaded nut like that šŸ˜…

Where was that figure from?

It's only to hold the top mount on really, for when you take the strut off. The weight of the car holds everything tight.
That's what I thought, saw it in one of the many torque threads in here but can't remember which one

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
In hindsight I may have just read it wrong, it was "front damper to swivel hub - 105Nm" and I assumed that must be it as the other guides said it was 180Nm to mount the damper to the hub at the bottom