ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What do I need to get proper surround sound working?

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
  AB182, Audi A5 3.0
According to the listing, it only have a 6-channel input (analogue, no digital input). If that's really true, then you will need to have a 6 channel output on your source equipment. I hope you didn't pay £999 for it as that really is a s**t system not worth more than £200 imo.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
in fact im properly shocked that they have managed to sell 24 of them at £999!! What a complete rip off!

182 T
First off you didn't pay that much did you??

What inputs and outputs has it got? Decent modern 5.1/7.1 just go straight off HDMi or Optical in.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Paid £79.99 for it last year. f**k knows why its £999.99.

I really have no idea about this so what (link would be great) do I need to buy?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Paid £79.99 for it last year. f**k knows why its £999.99.

I really have no idea about this so what (link would be great) do I need to buy?

thank f**k for that! lol. Are you able to post a picture of the inputs on the back? Will give us a better idea of its setup...

It's not £999.99 if you click the '24' you'll see the real prices paid, they've put the price up as they're out of stock and don't want to pay ebay to relist, so they put the price up to something no one would ever pay. It's what I used to do

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
052272D5-57C3-479E-BAA1-77407EA191A9-49501-00001E9D4BAE8BA3_zps76b38fae.jpg

As I said, it was only £80 so if its better to get something different then I will.
Something like this any better?
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd...-blu-ray-home-cinema-system-21309873-pdt.html

Only just put in the rear speakers hence the pikey 2 in 1. Lol.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
yep that's analogue 6 channel input only. you would need a source device that has an analogue 6 channel output to use that in 5.1 mode.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
That LG system is OK, perfect for normal home use. Although the sound will not come close to a dedicated THX certified 5.1 amp like a Kenwood or Onkyo. Depends what you want it for? The LG is quoted at 1000w average - that's complete b****cks, its will be more like 15w per channel and 50w sub. They do like to take the piss with there wattage figures!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Lol.

Would the LG one be plug and play?

yep, but it only has 1 optical input, so you could only plug and play 1 extra device. That's perfect is all you want to hook up with 5.1 is your sky box as the DVD/bluray is obviously built into the LG and will be directly 5.1 :)

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Oh ok. So is there anything with say a £300 budget that will do what i want and is really good. (The LG is pretty much there but is there any better options)

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Thanks for the help..
I went to Richer Sounds earlier and after looking into a few packages, I bought this..
8A13BA97-96A9-49B1-85CF-179DD57EB02A-49501-00001EFA1B9F2B1B_zps088a64b8.jpg

Only just installed it and have to say it's great. (Cheap too.)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
tv optical out > optical in on the LG. Switch LG to the optical input. if your getting it from a sky box,

Skybox > LG unit via HDMI input > TV via HDMI output.

In no situation should you be using 'scart' as that is SD not HD.

tv optical out > optical in on the LG. Switch LG to the optical input. if your getting it from a sky box,

Sky does not pass 5.1 over hdmi. You need to use coaxial or optical digital connect with the hdmi

The manual says the following:

Make one of the following connections, depending on the capabilities of your existing equipment.

Component Video Connection
Video Connection
SCART connection
AUX IN connection

As said there is no optical output on the LG system.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
The manual says the following:

Make one of the following connections, depending on the capabilities of your existing equipment.

Component Video Connection
Video Connection
SCART connection
AUX IN connection

As said there is no optical output on the LG system.

Not sure what your talking about here. According to the website, the LG has:AUX input
Portable 3.5mm jack inout
HDMI Out
HDMI In
USB
Composite Out
Component Out
Digital (optical) input

yep.

Also doesn't accept HDMI :(

what doesn't accept HDMI? the LG should have 2 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output. Unless I'm looking at the wrong model?

There's every chance I'm being incredibly thick here tbh.

I'll post a pic of the back of the surround sound/DVD box in a minute.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
it can't be done with that unit (5.1), you will only be able to get stereo from the TV by connecting the headphone out socket from the TV to the LG. Alternatively, connect the Skybox analogue output to the analogue inputs (not sure if you have a skybox). TBH I would be throwing that in the bin and upgrading to something better like the SR906 above.

I have it on authority from the av forum and the fact I have a brand new sky box 2tb hd sky + ... they dont pass 5.1 over hdmi andvare unlkkely to do so in the not to distant future

SQ5
I have it on authority from the av forum and the fact I have a brand new sky box 2tb hd sky + ... they dont pass 5.1 over hdmi andvare unlkkely to do so in the not to distant future

Yep, this is true. 5.1 only from Digital Audio outputs on a Sky box. Unless your simulating it which isn't the same.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
That's how I read it Fatty although I don't pay much attention to sky with having Tivo...

Either way it's heading off topic and is no good for StephaeJ as is the system he has unfortunately.

2014 Focus Titanium
they are in the process of updating the HD boxes now to deliver DD5.1 over HDMI.

The Fatty is right, some boxes do. One box that does is the non-recording HD box that people are forced to get if their dish does have the bandwidth to record and watch at the same time.