ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What are the best speakers to buy?

2002 Clio Dynamic
Ell said:
Hi all

My first post here so I apologise in advance if im in the wrong place.

I'm looking at improving the sound in my car, however am on a serious budget, plus im not big on car modding, so i'm thinking, change the door speakers to something a bit more substantial and just leave it at that. From what i've read i could get a set of speakers for around £50 and do a straight swap, using the same wires, HU etc.

Heres a description of my car:

- It's a 1998 standard 1.2 clio (nasty gold/orange colour with big black bumpers)
- The head unit is a basic tape/radio jobbie which lights up orange ( bit flashy, i know).

Just wondering what width and depth speakers my clio will use/take. Im also slightly concerned that after market speakers may be deeper than the standard ones. Also, i dont want to make and cuts, drillings etc.

Also can anyone reccomend some speakers i could straight swap, been able to just pop them out and plug in the new ones would be a perk!

Cheers in advance everyone, from the looks of this thread your all a very helpful bunch!
Its going to be a waste of money if all you are doing is changing the door speakers and nothing else,as you may have upgraded the actual speakers but they will still be getting the same crappy signal from the standard HU and thus will sound like the standard speakers you took out!

First thing to do if you are on a budget is to get a decent HU first,then when you save up enough cash get a simple set up of components upfront,amp and a sub!

Ell

Renault clio 1.2
WeeGad said:
Its going to be a waste of money if all you are doing is changing the door speakers and nothing else,as you may have upgraded the actual speakers but they will still be getting the same crappy signal from the standard HU and thus will sound like the standard speakers you took out!

First thing to do if you are on a budget is to get a decent HU first,then when you save up enough cash get a simple set up of components upfront,amp and a sub!

Cheers mate.

I'm sure your right about the hu to a certain extent, however, the standard clio speakers really are crap and i'm almost sure that by changing them I will improve the quality and definatley remove the nice muffling you get when you crank it up!

by changing the speakers you will see a massive difference, then a similar improvement once the head unit is changed

Ell

Renault clio 1.2
Thanks brian :)

Been to halfords tonight and had a look at the "Sony xs-f1334 13cm" speakers. They were only £45 and sounded pretty good to me. Anyone fitted some of these into a clio similar to mine with/without any problems?

Thanks again.

please no

reason 1

sony ICE is poor, alright, it's better than the OE equipment, but it doesnt even come close to competing with the rivals

reason 2

halfords, overpriced and 9/10 employees are monkeys who are trained to sell not to advise

for £50

have a look at Vibe, Infinity, JBL, they will probably be a small amount over budget, but will sound far better than the sonys, remember also, you listened to them in a custom listening wall, made of better materials than your car doors, they will sound nothing like that in the car, lol

oh and it's BrYan, not brian ;)

Ell

Renault clio 1.2
Cheers Bryan.

I've taken your advice and am going to steer clear of halfords.

One last question, onist: Spotted these on good old ebay. They'll fit in my clio no probs yeah?

Thanks, and sorry about the name spelling :cool: