ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What are the best speakers to buy?

I'm after a bit of advice... I'm planning on changing the front speakers in my clio when I pick it up, and am unsure of what to buy. I've got a budget of around £70-£80 and am looking for a good set of components which will fit into the standard pods as I want it to look 'as standard'. Any ideas / suggestions would be gratefully recieved!!!

172 mk2 Iceberg
I too need to upgrade the front end of my clio,
but im still unsure what to get as i realy want the tweeters flush with the dashboard.

182BG
i just left the original tweeters in and bought some 13cm infinity speakers for about £50 i think, they work a treat, does the job.

Definantly makes the tweeters flush, looks cack if you have them sticking above the dash imo

cheers, I've heard the Alpines are very good, will have to try and find a good local car audio place and see if they'll let me measure them up next to the originals.

Clio 1.4 16v Mk2
i have focals v1's in my system and sound a treat got them from source sounds in sheffield great customer serivce too

Bargh! Too much choice. Think i'll have to nip over to bassjunkies or Fletcher's in Brum and have a good look. Anyone got the rainbows fitted in their car? Do they fit flush on the dash?

A4 Avant & A3
I'm looking into upgrading the speakers in my 172, but can't really decide.
First up i was looking at: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/1250.html
but i am keeping the standard HU so would i benefit from these? or should i just go for some Coaxials.. like:
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/4165.html

and just leave the tweeters in the dash?
I really don't fancy taking the top of the dashboard off to fit tweeters if i get components...
Any advice is verywelcome!!
also i might get some of the Alpine (above link) for the rear as one of the magnificent renault speakers have blown.

brasseye : refer to pm

Stu_F : never buy anything from bass junkies, you are risking a lot by using them, car audio direct are a far better company to deal with, and will not try to sell you things you don't need, unlike bass-monkeys

jamesrich : alpine head units are excellent, the rest of their kit, however, is not

norris_309 : the benefits of fitting components over coaxials is immense, a little bit of effort will go a long way to making a much better sounding system, the rainbow slc230 are a better speaker than the kappa 505cs in terms of structure, and suond quality, i'd look at them before buying the infinity, although they are pretty good, there are better out there

A4 Avant & A3
Thanks for that Bryan, i may well look at the Rainbows as you suggest (i only seem to look at what i know, and not really into ICE i havn't heard of rainbow, so it's nice to hear about these things)
1 thing though, would you think i'd benefit from these types of speakers running from the standard Renault stereo though, or would it be alot of money for not alot of gain?.
(have any of you removed the top part of the dash in a mk2 172 to fit tweeters?.. is it hard?... does any plastic snap whilst doing it! lol)

i've never had any platic snap when removing the top dash, and it's pretty easy to do as long as you're patient and take your time, nothing like rushing a job and messing it up

the OEM speakers are utter gash, and anything would be worthwhile replacing them with, up to you what you fit, though rainbow are highly regarded as one ofthe better speaker manufacturers available to everyone at a good price. volume and quality of sound will be increased no end, the OEM speakers handle IRO 5wRMS, which, if we're being honest, is not really worth fitting in the 1st place

A4 Avant & A3
ahh i'm starting to get the picture.. i knew the OEM ones were pretty shite, but only really form the fact that they blow for a past time, now you mention the 5w rms.. things become clearer.
Just looking at the Rainbow ones now (sad looking at the internet on a saturday night i know!!!)
You mention the slc ones, you had any experience with the scx230 & deluxe as they are more in the price range.

Just need to find out whether the tweeters in any of these sets will fit under the dash grills...

the SLX are very very capable speakers, one i have recommended to many people on here, the deluxe are worth the extra pennies over the normal 230's

yes, the tweeters will fit in the OE housing on the dash, they are not that much bigger in depth compared to the OE speaker, but sound is drastically improved

A4 Avant & A3
ok thanks mate..
So from your excellent advice i might have to purchase myself a set of Rainbow components.. (still don't wanna take that dash apart lol)
I'll see how money is after xmas as to which ones i get.

Thanks alot for your replies you've helped me no end..
Cheers

not a problem, always willing to help

any advice needed when you come to remove the top dash, just ask, i'm sure one of us here will be able to help

A4 Avant & A3
I was actually worried it might add some lol as i don't seem to have any at the moment.. (i'd better go out & check it really is a renault lol)

Cheers guys, you've answered my questions dead quickly. Will be staying away from bassjunkies this xmas - should hopefully be investing in some Rainbows or Alpines. Well, the relatives will be anyway! Luckily my dad's an autoelectrician, so all the fitting is dead easy and free. Getting a gps adapter hardwired under the dash too :)

Cheers again guys.

1.6 focus zetec....
Having components in the rear door cards...theres holes acctually for the speaker itself but what about the tweeters that come with it..where would you suggest to put them?? Also do you have to take the whole dash out to change the tweeters or can you just pull the casing off the tweeters and replace it like that??

Kiza

in the rer there are existing locations for the tweeters, mounting however is pretty simple. i don't actually fit the tweeters in the rear as i believe high frequencies from the rear destroy the sound staging in the car

you can remove the speaker casing, but i don't recommend doing so, removing the top dash is pretty easy and allows you to do the job properly

1.6 focus zetec....
So what would you suggest to get for the back, obviously something without a tweeter or are the tweeters not joined on components as pics i have seen seem to show them joined??

Kiza

a decent mid driver, they are part of the component set-up, but you can buy them separately

obviously it is all personal preference, i was going to go for 2 x jl audio 6w0-4's mounted on a baffle in the existnig locations, but funds ran out before i could do so :(

with components, what you get in every set is -

2 x mid driver
2 x tweeter
2 x crossover
speaker cable

obviously, you can use either the mid on it's own or the components together, but as above, it's all personaly preference

well for the money, they are excellent speakers, depending on the budget, i could of course recommend other alternatives

there are a wealth of good manufacturers out there, just a case of knowing what to look for and who to ask

1.6 focus zetec....
OK say i had a budget of £100 would you stil recommend the raindbows?? Is it all about RMS when it comes to speakers or is there more to look at??

Kiza

far more to look at when it comes to car audio than just power figures

and yes, in that budget, i'd defo recommend the rainbow's

Monaro VXR
Looking at a budget of £150 for components and arond £100 or so for an amp to power them what ya recommend?

£100 isn't much for an amp, i'd do it the other way round

speaker

rainbow slx230 or if you can afford the extra £30 the slx230 deluxe

amp

alpine mrv-t420

Monaro VXR
im really not sure what budget im willing to spend right now. Got £280 for headunit. around £300-£400 for sub and amp and then maybe another £300 to go for some components and an amp.

Doesnt have to be massively loud but not too quite after sound quality more than volume.

Ell

Renault clio 1.2
Hi all

My first post here so I apologise in advance if im in the wrong place.

I'm looking at improving the sound in my car, however am on a serious budget, plus im not big on car modding, so i'm thinking, change the door speakers to something a bit more substantial and just leave it at that. From what i've read i could get a set of speakers for around £50 and do a straight swap, using the same wires, HU etc.

Heres a description of my car:

- It's a 1998 standard 1.2 clio (nasty gold/orange colour with big black bumpers)
- The head unit is a basic tape/radio jobbie which lights up orange ( bit flashy, i know).

Just wondering what width and depth speakers my clio will use/take. Im also slightly concerned that after market speakers may be deeper than the standard ones. Also, i dont want to make and cuts, drillings etc.

Also can anyone reccomend some speakers i could straight swap, been able to just pop them out and plug in the new ones would be a perk!

Cheers in advance everyone, from the looks of this thread your all a very helpful bunch!

Last edited: