ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Welshname's Monaco 172

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, pedal goes very spongey, nothing happens for the first bit of travel and then it's just no feel and poor braking effort.

I will give bleeding them with it running a try, what difference does that actually make though?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Don't think so. I bled the brakes when I got it as they were cack and when it came to changing the pads and discs etc there was no change, and between fitting the brakes and flushing the fluid there was no change.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Yeah, pedal goes very spongey, nothing happens for the first bit of travel and then it's just no feel and poor braking effort.

I will give bleeding them with it running a try, what difference does that actually make though?

I haven't a clue but my DCI when I wide tracked it, had bad brakes. About gave up and then the mechanic that I help said start it up and bleed them, sorted it. Guessing it does something with the abs pump.

You did bleed, back left/back right /front left/front right In that order.
rule of thumb when flushing is to start at the furthest away

Got to be air somewhere.

Last edited:

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, your left and right has me confused though as it's late and I'm tired. It was:

Passenger rear
Drivers rear
Passenger front
Drivers front

And JoeyD I've bled them a total of 3 times now including the fluid flush.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Yes that's what I ment, looking at the back of the car, back left, back right ect ;)

He's doing something wrong. You ain't letting the fluid go low when bleeding through? Need the keep it topped up as you go or that WILL get air in.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yep been keeping it over full if anything and then letting it bleed through to a good level. But as I've said earlier in the thread, when I got the car under cornering hard the warning light came on for low fluid. Now I don't think it was loosing fluid as such but I'm guessing that whoever fitted the grooved discs and s**t EBC pads did the braided lines and didn't top back up after bleeding, then when the pads got to literally the backing plate the fluid level has dropped enough for the light to come on. Which is why I was worried about air in the ABS but from what I've read I'm not getting the same issues people with that are.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Hmm, you couldn't use the old ford KA trick which I was going to suggest.

Bleed brake , push pistOn back in with bleed nipple slacked off, and then pump brakes back up again after tightening nipple.
Saying that, KA servos are f**king shite

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of...b*****d. When I bled it the first time round I did get a LOT of air from the rear drivers calliper but no where else. Every time since however I've had nothing.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
LOL don't hide it ;) should of kept the D turbo.

P.s do it with two people.

Keep pedal pressed down when locking the bleed nipple up. Stops it sucking air back in

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
LOL! That car was the sheddiest thing in the world, and even that had better brakes. They were warped as s**t too!

This seemed to be a common theme with that car:

972412_10152849873460244_966541170_n.jpg

Last edited:

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Strange one Rhys. If they was working as they should be you would have good strong brakes with those parts fitted. Try bleeding again and also check the servo side of things, listen for hissing etc

I'll PM you now ref bedding them in mate

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Might take you up on that another time. Dads birthday on Sunday so I won't be free, i'll be giving it a go bleeding them with the engine running on Saturday and then giving them another go at bedding in (just in case they were seriously glazed over).

Cheers

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Well apparently my brakes are fine and bedded in properly and that's coming from someone who has ran the same setup on a ph1 and a cup and its just me being fussy.

Bit disappointed really as they don't inspire any confidence at all. Will just have to get used to them.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
The initial bite is not bad but the harder you press they are good on track.

DS3000's if you want better initial bite, think i'll put some in next when the 2500's are dead.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
It's not the bite it's the feel. It's none existent, I have literally no clue as to how close they are to locking or gauge of how much pressure I need to put on the pedal.

I'll get used to it I suppose.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Well as I suspected there is definitely a problem with the brakes.

Went for a drive earlier and the brakes are "OK". Had a moment with some bellend on the wrong side of the road and had to hit the brakes hard for a second until he realised and moved. When I did this the car pulled a little left as it has been doing (I put this down to the tracking) and then there was a noticeable jolt in the pedal (not abs) and the wheel snapped back to centre. Now for about 10-15 mins after this the brakes were sublime. But after a while of not really braking much they went back to the same, even when getting a LOT of heat in them.

My thoughts are it's possibly a knackered slider on the drivers calliper, so I'll be taking that apart and checking everything over.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
Did you change the fluid if so you could of got air in the abs pump and it is maybe this that is causing your problems