ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weight Saving Tips & Ideas?

200 FF Storm Grey
I see alot of people on here posting about shedding various things that I would never think to touch i.e. useless brackets in the engine bay, redundant wiring...

Post your tried & tested weight saving & tidy up ideas in here...

Clio 172 Replica Ph2
I take it this is for track use rather than on the road ?
if so, spare tyres rear seats, isofix bar passenger seat and if your mad, the dashboard :)

260% JCW
Rear door cards, rear wiper, carpets, speakers, carbon canister

And If your fat get down the gym.

200 FF Storm Grey
I take it this is for track use rather than on the road ?
if so, spare tyres rear seats, isofix bar passenger seat and if your mad, the dashboard :)

Just general tidy up / fast road / track

Obviously there's the obvious bits ^^^

I'm referring to stuff the average person wouldn't realise is disposable

260% JCW
Someone will correct me no doubt but i think It's something to do with recycling emissions and then pumping it back through the engine. EGR in a way i guess. Get shot.

200 FF Storm Grey
Someone will correct me no doubt but i think It's something to do with recycling emissions and then pumping it back through the engine. EGR in a way i guess. Get shot.

Is it not some sort of catch tank for all the sh1te?

If you having all the interior out permanently, like all seats/all doorcards/rooflining and keeping it out then you can remove all of the sound deadening and remove any bracketry thats redundant. Also take the dash out and loose all the sound deadening behind there, there's quite a bit of it. You can also cut parts of the dash out you dont need like glovebox, cowling around the gearstick etc etc.

Few other little things...

Cut the inner boot skin out and fit aerocatches
Cut part of the under bonnet out
Loose arch liners and arch covers
Start cutting bits from the front and rear bumper, plus getting rid of all the polystyrene from behind the bumpers.

Should keep you busy! Ha

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Redundant wiring, so no:

Stereo and speaker wires, stereo, CD multichanger
Air con and heater control wires
Central locking
Electric windows (manual winders)
Airbag wiring and ECU
Rear wiper and wiring
Pollen filter and wiring in scuttle panel
Heater matrix

Stripped yozza'd cup
Minimising unsprung weight is critical for performance. Buy the lightest wheels you can afford IMO. Although on a road car, you've got a bit of a trade off for strength and looks.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Granted Jack, i'm just interested to see the views on what's considered to be 'suitably' light apart from the likes of ultra/super legerras :)

Stripped yozza'd cup
Each to their own really.... Team dynamics are pretty light too.

A lot of people don't give a crap about their wheel weight, just depends how keen you are I suppose.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Fair one, 7kg from memory?

For the sake of 200g i think i'll stick to my non bendy speedlines :)

200 FF Storm Grey
Fair one, 7kg from memory?

For the sake of 200g i think i'll stick to my non bendy speedlines :)

It's not 200g though, it's 200g spinning (so 5 or 6 times the weight) plus it's on all 4 corners, soon adds up!

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
remove the ballasts at the front of the car
dry cell battery
change seats
lighter steering wheel
poly windows
remove door electrics + sound deadenin+ braces
remove dash + trim metal frame behind
digi stack dash ( replacing heavier standard clocks)

just a few that havnt been mentioned

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
On phase 1 models, grind most of the metal section out behind the passenger headlight. Makes it easier to change the belt and lose weight lol

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
It's not 200g though, it's 200g spinning (so 5 or 6 times the weight) plus it's on all 4 corners, soon adds up!

Isn't it closer to 3 (2 if the mass was uniformly distributed rather than biased towards the outer portion of the rim)? Granted it's an extremely primitive assumption, but would 800g (all four versus say four TD 1.2's) when featuring moment of interia not be around a ~2kg difference when considering rotational mass effect for all four rims?

Putting that into context, the three rear headrests only weigh ~3kg-hardly seems a worry considering how strong the speedlines are :)

Presumably, OZ F1s would be worse off for me. Assuming the above, would that not equate to an extra ~21kg rotational mass differential assuming the weights listed are correct at ~9kg per rim?

Last edited:
  Stripped yozza'd cup
It's around 4x actually. But if you're searching for light rims, you'd go for 15's so the weight difference would be a lot greater.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Would 4x not be inclusive of factoring tyre mass? Would this not be irrelevant when looking at the differential mass effect from the rims alone? Be interested to understand how you arrived at that figure if you'd care to share your train of thought?

Even if a factor of four were the case, does a net increase of ~3.2kg in inertial mass not seem somewhat insignificant for the majority of generalist fast road/trackday users? Heavy Speedlines, lol.

:)

200 FF Storm Grey
Isn't it closer to 3 (2 if the mass was uniformly distributed rather than biased towards the outer portion of the rim)? Granted it's an extremely primitive assumption, but would 800g (all four versus say four TD 1.2's) when featuring moment of interia not be around a ~2kg difference when considering rotational mass effect for all four rims?

Putting that into context, the three rear headrests only weigh ~3kg-hardly seems a worry considering how strong the speedlines are :)

Presumably, OZ F1s would be worse off for me. Assuming the above, would that not equate to an extra ~21kg rotational mass differential assuming the weights listed are correct at ~9kg per rim?

Way I understand it is try swinging a 2kg weight around in a circle, feels a hell of alot heavy than just walkiing with it, I agree though that for the likes of your 2118 the difference in weight saving compared to the extra strength is not really worth mentioning, but I've got Ultra Leggera Serie Rossa's so I get both strength and weight saving :p

Clio 172 PhII
Just general tidy up / fast road / track

Obviously there's the obvious bits ^^^

I'm referring to stuff the average person wouldn't realise is disposable

I'm thinking along the same line, I've a 172 PhII and looking to be closer to a 172 CUP in weight terms.

- So full every day usability,
- Do 6-8 trackdays.

If it's worth the hassle is an other question ;)

Non-cost options:

Balance weight
Tar patches
Dashboard sound deading
headlight washers
cd-changer
Rear speakers
Isofix
Carbon canister
Remove sparewheel

Cost options:

One Bucket seat (As I need backseat access, that also mean, no harness/removable harenss-bar.)
O.Z Superleggera
Battery
Xenons to Regualar headlights( Does this actually saves anything??? , I'm thinking "no
ballast")
3/4 panel/rear window(s) to poly ones.

ABS and Aircon but I kind of like those options for a road car, so that is a no no for me. :cool:

Can anyone tell how much weight each item would actually save?

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
gettin rid of ac and other rotating mass from your engine would help.. the only thing my engine spins is the alternator.. and thats only because it has to

200 FF Storm Grey
I suppose things like Xenon lights the benefit of having brigther headlights outweighs the small weight gain, could you argue better vision would make your car quicker anyway :p

Dash Board Sound deadening is def something I need to get sorted!